Winterizing Question...

kaydano

Reaction score
I'm winterizing my motor tomorrow (Sat).  Fuel injected, no carb.

Procedure is you run new gas in the tank with Stabil through the engine, then change oil/filter/lube, then remove plugs and spray fogging oil into the cylinders.

Then you run the motor a little (with plugs still out) to distribute the fogging oil around inside the cylinder.

My question is, isn't gas being injected into the cylinder at this time too?  The motor thinks it's trying to start, so gas should be injected into the cylinder.  But, the motor won't start since the plugs are out.  Won't gas mix with the fogging oil???

The obvious answer is run the motor out of gas, but the manual doesn't say to do this.

Confused...

Maybe the gas injected is minimal, and won't hurt anything being mixed with the fogging oil...

Anyone know?

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have to fog a 4-stroke motor. Change the fluids and be done with it.

I used "fogging" in a general sense because I couldn't think of any other word to describe this. 

See bold/underlined sentence from owners manual:

Protecting Internal Engine Components
IMPORTANT: Refer to Maintenance ‑ Spark Plug Inspection and
Replacement for correct procedure for removing spark plugs.
• Change the engine oil and filter.
• Remove the spark plugs.
• Spray approximately 30 ml (1 fl oz) of Storage Seal Rust
Inhibitor into each spark plug hole
Storage Seal Rust Inhibitor Spark plug holes 92-858081K03
• Actuate key/push button start switch to crank the engine
through one start cycle, which will distribute the storage seal
throughout the cylinders.
• Install the spark plugs.

Nothing is said about the injectors spraying fuel in the cylinder while the engine turns over, so I'm not really worried about it, just curious what happens to the gas.  Guessing it evaporates or maybe the mist is shot out the plug hole as the engine turns over.  I think I just answered my own question...

I think that is a waste of time. And money. And if you're cranking the engine without the lanyard connected, there won't be any fuel or spark, which answers your original question.    :D

Lanyard switch!!!

Gotta love it when you ask the wrong question and still get the answer you needed. Thanks!

Not only is there no fuel or spark with the lanyard switch tripped, the motor doesn't turn over either.  But, doesn't matter, motor is winterized now.

I sprayed some into the throttle body while is was running right before turning off.

I was surprised to hear from a boat mechanic that the older 2 cylinder engines didn't need the winterization as the new engines of today

He said that 99% of the water would drain from motor depending on the angle it was placed in.

I thought that fogging and lubricating was imperative but he said they got away without doing that in the day

Anyone out there using the motors from the late 70s, 80s or 90s with any input?

110491742.jpg

Back