Yamaha 115 vs. 115 VMax

Hunterman

Reaction score
I just put a deposit on a new Bennington 20' SLG tri-toon, and it comes with the standard Yamaha 115. Is there much difference upgrading to the Vmax?
I was told that the Vmax is a much longer wait time to get. Possibly into late spring, early summer. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Welcome Hunterman! What is the highest HP rating for your new Benny? I can't help you with your specific question but I can say that a 150 HP is a very popular combination on the smaller tri-toons. Of course, the amount of horsepower needed depends on how you intend to use her. BTW, don't forget to post some pictures when you take her home.

I never understood the “plus” models that have the same hp. I’ll stick to the regular models!

I never understood the “plus” models that have the same hp. I’ll stick to the regular models!
I think it depends on the HP and manufacturer/model too. Some involve different gear ratios, more cylinders, super chargers, features, etc. I think it makes more sense on some HP model motors than others.

I may be wrong, but I understand the Vmax in the 150 is a V-6 where my F series is a Straight 4. Also, If you are interested in boosting the HP the Vmax can be punched to maybe 275 where my F series can go to 200. For about $900

I may be wrong, but I understand the Vmax in the 150 is a V-6 where my F series is a Straight 4. Also, If you are interested in boosting the HP the Vmax can be punched to maybe 275 where my F series can go to 200. For about $900
VMAX 200 can get a flash and put out about 320 HP but I do not recommend doing that if your boat is not rated for that much HP and/or if you have a warranty on your motor. There have been very few issues with the flash however from what I have read, the motor is built to run at that HP.

Last edited:
Yes, you are wrong.

The 20 SLG is only rated to max 115 HP
Happy to see a fellow SLGer! The tritoon verson of the 20SLG is rated for max 115 hp; the dual toon is max 90 hp. I sprung for the 90 hp VMAX on my dual toon because it was only a few hundred dollars more, it has a different gear ratio from the standard 90 (with possibly better hole shot), and it looks WAY cooler. I also feel there may be a couple extra horses under there, although the kind folks on this forum will disagree with me. :) The cowling alone was worth it to me (not many VMAXs at my marina).

Attachments

• Boat Inspection-25.jpg
    Boat Inspection-25.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 26
Are the Vmax engines as quiet as their standard counterparts?
The Mercury XS engines are louder than their standard counterparts.

Are the Vmax engines as quiet as their standard counterparts?
The Mercury XS engines are louder than their standard counterparts.
But the Mercury Verado Pros are not louder. Very smooth and quiet for all that power. ;) :cool:

Quite the predicament. We went with the 115VMax because the dealer had one left and it was $500 more and it does look cool. Silly reason but it's true. He said it's basically a 130HP but who knows. I "raced" my uncle who has the same boat and a standard 115. I had a slight edge on him. If your dealer has a 115 in stock I'd probably grab it now and not risk Yamaha being delayed. With the influx in boat purchases the decision may be made for you if you wait too long.

Happy to see a fellow SLGer! The tritoon verson of the 20SLG is rated for max 115 hp; the dual toon is max 90 hp. I sprung for the 90 hp VMAX on my dual toon because it was only a few hundred dollars more, it has a different gear ratio from the standard 90 (with possibly better hole shot), and it looks WAY cooler. I also feel there may be a couple extra horses under there, although the kind folks on this forum will disagree with me. :) The cowling alone was worth it to me (not many VMAXs at my marina).
What prop are you running with your VMAX 90? How's your performance and WOT RPM?

My dealer installed a Talon 13.5x12 prop because that specific prop is recommended for my build (20' two-log no strakes). They picked that prop to maximize the RPM of the motor without hitting the rev limiter. The Talon is a 3-blade prop with aggressive cupping. So aggressive that Talon recommends that converts to their props select two pitch levels lower than what they are looking to replace (e.g. coming from a 15p, choose a 13p Talon). since I have not yet had my maiden voyage, I can’t tell you what you WOT speeds. However, once I get my Benny on the water in April, I will be posting all of this information for forum members.

It appears there are very few mechanical differences between the two, but the VF is a little quicker. Fuel efficiency may go slightly better to the F (assuming a tradeoff for more conservative tuning) but you'll need to check some performance bulletins. Quick google gives links below for some discussion.

No one ever regrets going faster so I say go SHO! Make sure you get the 25"

Back