Yamaha 200 Prop Question

azray007

Reaction score
Good day everyone,

For anyone with the Yamaha 200 HP 2.8L 4 stroke (F200XBDF), have you experienced your prop catching air/slipping.  I have a Yamaha Reliance SDS 14 1/4 x 17.  The motor is mounted in the second hole down on the transom.  When going a low RPM, everything is great.  When I hit around 4800 and higher the prop feels like it is losing "grip".  Any suggestions would be great!  I have a 24 SCWX with SPS.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Have you played with your trim or are you already trimmed all the way down? Is it noticeable going straight or just in a hard turn?  

That is a lot of pitch. I think JTaylor is running the 17 pitch but I have the 15 and my motor is all the way down. In a straight line it will only blow out if I over trim. In sharp turns I really have to trim down or it will blow out. I was thinking about raising mine for some additional top speed in a straight line. What is your trim at when it starts to lose grip?

I had the trim down and the boat was going in a straight line.  I'm not sure if I had the trim down all the way, but will check next time I take the boat out.  I am certain it was below the half way point on the gauge.  

As for the pitch, would a 15 give better grip?  From what I understand a 15 would boost the RPM's.  In my case, would that be a good thing?

Thanks again for the advice!

I had the trim down and the boat was going in a straight line.  I'm not sure if I had the trim down all the way, but will check next time I take the boat out.  I am certain it was below the half way point on the gauge.  

As for the pitch, would a 15 give better grip?  From what I understand a 15 would boost the RPM's.  In my case, would that be a good thing?

Thanks again for the advice!

Do not use the gauge. Use your ear. Trim down. Accelerate and slowly raise the trim. Listen to when it starts to over rev.

I think you are trimmed too far up.

I have your same engine and the Reliance 14 1/4 x 17 prop but without SDS.  My motor is in the top hole and I don't have any problem with the prop losing grip.  When going in a straight line I find the optimum trim to maximize my speed is at about 3/4.  If I'm going to be doing hard turns I trim down.  The gauge is a nice guide but I agree with Randy that you can hear when the trim is too high and the prop is starting to cavitate.

I was breaking in  my 200 this weekend. I was running trimmed about half way initially as that is what I was use to doing with my last boat.  Found out early that in sharp turns you lose grip. I was hitting 42-43 as I trimmed up so it did give more speed when I raised just under 3/4 trim. When I lowered trim to just below half it brings the bow down slightly and I would hit 40-41 top speed. I have never tried trimmed all the way down as I never ran that way in 10 years, but I will experiment. No matter how I was trimmed I was always between 5700 and 5800 RPM.  I agree with having to lower during sharp turns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm changing my prop this week to from a 17 to a 15.  I hope that does the trick.  

Based on JTaylor's comments, maybe my 17 is ok and my motor just needs to be lowered to the #1 hole? Even at that, I wonder why my motor does not want to go over 5200 RPM.  I am taking my boat in for the 20 hour service tomorrow, is there something that Yamaha does to restrict RPM's until the first service? 

The 17p is too much prop.

Yes, I definitely think the 15 is the sweet spot.  You will be very disappointed with the 13.

Back