Yamaha 90 VMAX SHO vs. 'Standard' 90

AuthorizedUser

Reaction score
Hey gang... I'm looking for your thoughts on if you think there will be any measurable difference (other than minor cost) between the Yamaha 90hp VMAX SHO vs. the 'standard' Yamaha 90hp offered by Bennington. I will be putting the VMAX on my 20SLG twin-log pontoon with no lifting strakes, etc. and was curious if only the decals would be the measurable difference on my build. :) Thanks!

1600101296863.png

Everything internally is exactly the same, except for the ECM, which has a different software mapping between the standard and VMax.
Even the differing HP ratings for the same engine size are internally identical, just the ECM is different.

The VMax engines also differ in a few parts such as the cowl and lower, but that is merely the paint color code...otherwise, they are 100% identical and those parts can even be interchanged.

*EDIT*
Slight update: the VF90 has a 2.33:1 drive ratio vs the standard F90 having 2.15:1 ratio (which is the same 2.15:1 ratio for both the F115 and VF115).
Sorry, but my previous comment about the lowers being identical isn't true for the 90HP variants.
Just wanted to correct myself so that you are given the proper info.

Last edited:
Everything internally is exactly the same, except for the ECM, which has a different software mapping between the standard and VMax.
Even the differing HP ratings for the same engine size are internally identical, just the ECM is different.

The VMax engines also differ in a few parts such as the cowl and lower, but that is merely the paint color code...otherwise, they are 100% identical and those parts can even be interchanged.

*EDIT*
Slight update: the VF90 has a 2.33:1 drive ratio vs the standard F90 having 2.15:1 ratio (which is the same 2.15:1 ratio for both the F115 and VF115).
Sorry, but my previous comment about the lowers being identical isn't true for the 90HP variants.
Just wanted to correct myself so that you are given the proper info.
Thanks for the info! Sooo... will there be any measurable difference?

Thanks for the info! Sooo... will there be any measurable difference?

Well, not much. You might feel a slight bit better hole shot with the VF90 depending on how it's propped. I doubt there would be any meaningful differences in fuel economy or top speed, especially without strakes.

Well, not much. You might feel a slight bit better hole shot with the VF90 depending on how it's propped. I doubt there would be any meaningful differences in fuel economy or top speed, especially without strakes.
You bring up another great point. I have no idea what the best prop is for this motor with my build. I think I want to stay with aluminum since it is not a high horsepower motor. But, I would like to maximize my speed with the proper prop. I have not spoken to my dealer about the prop, so I'm not sure what he is going to give me. Should I specifically ask for a certain spec of prop to maximize performance?

You bring up another great point. I have no idea what the best prop is for this motor with my build. I think I want to stay with aluminum since it is not a high horsepower motor. But, I would like to maximize my speed with the proper prop. I have not spoken to my dealer about the prop, so I'm not sure what he is going to give me. Should I specifically ask for a certain spec of prop to maximize performance?

Here's what the Yamaha prop selector came up with when I selected Max Speed as the goal (link under the picture). Discuss these options with your dealer to see what they recommend. Maybe they'll even recommend something completely different that may be better suited for your specific BoW and conditions.

Screenshot_20200914-143634.png

Here's what the Yamaha prop selector came up with when I selected Max Speed as the goal (link under the picture). Discuss these options with your dealer to see what they recommend. Maybe they'll even recommend something completely different that may be better suited for your specific BoW and conditions.

View attachment 27927

Thank you for taking so much time with me!

Have you asked about a 115?
I would guess that you could get into one in the $1,000 range?
That's a cheap 25HP!

Top end speed of a few miles an hour makes no real difference out on the water except in your wallet

Have you asked about a 115?
I would guess that you could get into one in the $1,000 range?
That's a cheap 25HP!
I would have to upgrade to either a third log or the SPS enhancement in order to get any larger motor than a 90. That's an extra five grand that is not in my budget. I will be completely happy flying through my lake at around 22 to 25 miles per hour. 95% of the time, we are going to drive out maybe 100 yards and drop anchor with the hundreds of other boats, many of them tied up to each other. Our boat will probably stay no more than an easy swim to shore distance away.

Last edited:
I've got a SV20 with the SHO 90. The prop the dealer gave me wasn't the greatest in the world. It was a 13.5x15-K series prop and I always hit the rev. limiter at WOT. I ended up going with a Solas Amita 13.5X15. See the thread under props and power, Yamaha VMAX 90 on a 20ft pontoon
you'll see a lot more comments. I really wanted to go with a Quicksilver Nemesis Pontoon, but they don't make a hub kit for the VF90. That's another note, if you do change props on your own, the F90 and VF90 are not the same.

Top end speed of a few miles an hour makes no real difference out on the water except in your wallet
Oh, I think it has a bit more impact than that. Emotionally, it would be good to know that I am topping out at a couple miles per hour more, also, let's not forget the really cool engine cowl graphics! ;-)

Yeah it does...Yamaha nailed it with the VMax aesthetics, in my opinion.
I agree. I do hope to get a slight performance boost, but honestly, I think I would have paid the extra $200 just for the black motor with graphics. It really stands out at the pier when everybody else has gray Yamahas.

I agree. I do hope to get a slight performance boost, but honestly, I think I would have paid the extra $200 just for the black motor with graphics. It really stands out at the pier when everybody else has gray Yamahas.

Agreed - the look alone is worth the little extra cost, even if there is no measurable performance difference.

What's up with your Picture?

It's one of the logos from the band Disturbed.

Back