Yamaha 90 VMAX SHO vs. 'Standard' 90

Echoing the above. Without lifting strakes or anything, I think the only thing you will notice is a little bit of increased hole shot. However, for the small difference in cost, it is totally worth It to have the cooler looking black V-Max motor and cowl stickers. As a Mercury owner myself with a Mercury Verado Pro on our boat (black with red lettering), I really think they look better. Very sporty!!!

Your real world drawback will be that water spots really stand out more on the black motors, and they are a bit of a pain to get out. The normal gray Yamaha cowls hide the water spots better. Just trying to wipe them off a black motor cowl, or wash them off with normal soap and water doesn’t seem to work well. Kind of takes a little vinegar mixed in with water.

Last edited:
Couldn’t resist posting a couple pictures myself after seeing yours Daril. The black motors do look sharp!

And oldie from when we got the boat in 2017. However, it’s my best full photo of the motor:
CDCF5425-D7A7-4333-8C2F-DC80970C9E3A.jpeg

This was my view on Monday. Went out for a few hours solo on the boat as family was back downstate with work and school. It night end up being my last day lounging around on it before it gets put away for the winter:
05E9450B-2278-4670-91A4-CF0B34731478.jpeg

Couldn’t resist posting a couple pictures myself after seeing yours Daril. The black motors do look sharp!

And oldie from when we got the boat in 2017. However, it’s my best full photo of the motor:
View attachment 27934

This was my view on Monday. Went out for a few hours solo on the boat as family was back downstate with work and school. It night end up being my last day lounging around on it before it gets put away for the winter:
View attachment 27935
I've always liked that chrome insert with BENNINGTON on it in between the speakers. Classy look!

It's one of the logos from the band Disturbed.

Got it ! Gotta love David Draimins vocals! " The Sound of Silence"

I agree. I do hope to get a slight performance boost, but honestly, I think I would have paid the extra $200 just for the black motor with graphics. It really stands out at the pier when everybody else has gray Yamahas.
I like the looks of the VF90 too, but don't expect any difference in performance on a pontoon boat. The biggest difference is the ~8% difference in gear ratio. However that is, also, about the difference between a 13p and 14p prop. I suggest you primarily target a 4-blade prop. The best prop I've run is the 13p Nemesis Pontoon (it's perfect for our boat)...there are other 4-blade aluminum props. I think the max pitch for the Nemesis pontoon is 13 and you will likely need a 14 or 15. Above all don't even consider an aluminum 3-blade K-series prop. I have a friendly dealer and tried four from 13 to 15 pitch...none were appropriate for a pontoon boat.

As you likely know, top speed varies a lot with weight/conditions and only 90 HP. Ours will vary any where from 20 to 26 MPH. In any case you need a prop that can hook the power at those speeds and an aluminum 3-blade K-series ain't it.

Last edited:
I like the looks of the VF90 too, but don't expect any difference in performance on a pontoon boat. The biggest difference is the ~8% difference in gear ratio. However that is, also, about the difference between a 13p and 14p prop. I suggest you primarily target a 4-blade prop. The best prop I've run is the 13p Nemesis Pontoon (it's perfect for our boat)...there are other 4-blade aluminum props. I think the max pitch for the Nemesis pontoon is 13 and you will likely need a 14 or 15. Above all don't even consider an aluminum 3-blade K-series prop. I have a friendly dealer and tried four from 13 to 15 pitch...none were appropriate for a pontoon boat.

As you likely know, top speed varies a lot with weight/conditions and only 90 HP. Ours will vary any where from 20 to 26 MPH. In any case you need a prop that can hook the power at those speeds and an aluminum 3-blade K-series ain't it.
I spoke with my dealer this morning who informed me that the service team will be installing a Talon 13.5x12 prop because that specific prop is recommended (not sure by whom) for my build (20' two log no strakes) "to maximize the RPM of the motor without hitting the rev limiter." From my feeble research, it seems the Talon is a 3-blade? prop but has aggressive cupping. The manufacturer even recommends that converts to Talon select two pitch levels lower than what they are looking to replace (e.g. coming from a 15p, choose a 13p Talon). At this stage of the game, with my boat not even on the assembly line yet... and months more before I get it in the water, I'm just going to see what the Talon prop does and go from there. I need a point of reference. But I do thank you for your information!

I think that sounds like a good plan. Get the boat. Track your RPMs at WOT on a light boat load, track speed. See what it does for you. I would only suggest checking with your dealer and see if they are willing to “loan” you props to experiement with IF the Talon doesn’t provide the anticipated performance.

I am a 3 blade kind of guy when it comes to props, but that is largely in part because my boat has plenty of hole shot as is. I think the bigger problem is the K-prop, not that it was a 3 blade.

I think that sounds like a good plan. Get the boat. Track your RPMs at WOT on a light boat load, track speed. See what it does for you. I would only suggest checking with your dealer and see if they are willing to “loan” you props to experiement with IF the Talon doesn’t provide the anticipated performance.

I am a 3 blade kind of guy when it comes to props, but that is largely in part because my boat has plenty of hole shot as is. I think the bigger problem is the K-prop, not that it was a 3 blade.
So is the Talon prop that I listed above a k prop? Not sure what constitutes a K-prop.

Yup, the improved design of the Talon should be a way better prop for you than the basic aluminum K. It's good that your dealer is starting with the better stuff.
Looks like This version of a Talon should act a lot like our Nemesis, maybe better:

Last edited:
Back