10 Hours.... Check

warrior999

Reaction score
Rolled my 10th hour today. Wanted to make sure to get them in and get the first service done. We are headed to Hot Springs Wednesday for 5 days.
Many thanks to all the veterans that have posted to help a new owner like myself and my wife. We have rented for years but handing the keys back at the end of the day and stepping onto the dock is totally different. I have gained much from reading all of the topics.
Putting the boat back on the trailer today was done confidently. That is, unlike two days ago in the wind, where yes, I had my trailer too deep and yada yada blada blada, a slightly scratched center toon and a story that my wife HAD to share with the Sunday School class.
I have a extra strap on the front weld that ties directly to the trailer below. This has eliminated a ton of extra flexing.
Tomorrow I will pull the boat to work and have one of my mechanics change the oil, filter and gear oil. From there, I'll head over to top off the fuel and get ready to roll out Wednesday.
Loving the Lake Life........

Awesome! Sounds like its all coming together for you. Enjoy that trip next week with the new boat.

Make sure that trailer is trip ready too. Have the mechanic check the bearings/fully inflate the tires and check the lights. Have a safe trip!

Why does everyone change the oil at 10-20 hours in a boat, but you don't do it in a car?

Yeah, I agree; who ever heard of changing the oil in their car? ;)

I called my dealer about this, 20 hours on mine, he said they would just do it in the fall. His thought was unless you are using the boat everyday and will gather up a high hour count, it is not necessary. I changed the oil in my runabout at the beginning of each season, then had fun!

The 10 hour is the initial break in oil change. You want the small shavings you're gonna have and the leftover residue left over from assembly flushed out of the engine and lower unit.

After that you can stretch out the hours or go per season depending on how much you use it.

It's the same for any new engine wether it's a boat , car , lawnmower , etc. A very good friend of mine runs a repair shop and an engine building shop and he loves people who neglect(maybe too strong a word) to change oil/fluids when they should!

What I'm saying is, If you buy a new car, do you change the oil after 10 hours? I was in the automotive business for over 40 years with Porsche, Mercedes, and Audi and there was a schedule for service intervals but not 10 or 20 hours.

The 10 hour break in on the outboards I'm guessing is for cam break in more than anything. I have no idea what the car makers do , if anything , with the new engines before they leave the factory.

On my last engine rebuild from my friend , there was a cam break in procedure. It was a 302 Ford. It called for a 20 minute break in at varying rpm's and then dump the oil. Pretty similar to what Yamaha has for a break in period.

I built a .30 over 327 back in the day and yes, it was 20 minutes at high rev to break-in the cam and lifters.

If my 200 Yamaha motor was 1/2 price, it would be about the same as my diesel in my '17 F250. I guess I'll do what they suggest to make sure I am in compliance to the warranty. I have zero idea why 10. My mechanic that I pay an amazing amount of salary to likes the idea though. So today, yamalube and gear oil and a case of Shiner (I always take care of him when he works on my personal stuff) and I'm good until 100 hours.

I agree warrior. I respect Cwag's knowledge and opinion but the 20 hour change is a cheap price for my peace of mind

My dealer said my 2018 motor (Yamaha 115) was ‘already broken in’ and I didn’t need to do a break in or change the oil until the regular end of year service. I bought it new with my 22SSXP boat. I had a full service done by the dealer end of last summer when it had 35hrs. Is this normal/correct or did your dealer advise to follow a specific break in process and change the oil after 10hrs? Thanks for sharing your perspectives!

I got a Yamaha 115 last year and dealer said I should change the oil after 20 hours. I beleive this is what the Yamaha owners manual states, so they were following what Yamaha states to do.

I know Mercury still suggests it too - both in the manual and on the Verado forums. It’s a worthwhile precaution that is worth the minimal time and cost for the longevity and peace of mind involved in these rather pricey motors.

Back