100 % Pure Gas

Jack M

Reaction score
I found a gas station near me ,( actually 30 miles ) that sells 100 % gas .No ethanol ,no methanol .60 cents more a gallon over street gas but still $2.00  less than marina gas .

However it is 90 octane .is there any reason why I should not use that in the pontoon ?

I have not checked the Mercury site yet ,that is next .

I also found this site that list ethanol/methanol free stations by state .

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MI

My Yami is rated for 87. Check your manual, but unless you have a "high performance" motor, I'm betting 90 will be fine. I've never heard of problems running "higher" octane, now lower, that will cause problems ......

I just checked the Mercury site is says "Recommended 87 octane /up to 10 % ethanol ".

Time to get out the manual .

I have seen some small engines with labels not to use premium ,in Michigan 90 is about the equivalent to mid grade 

The manual states  ,Minimum 87, Premium  is OK too . Which is good for me ,the list I posted above ( http://pure-gas.org/...sp?stateprov=MI ) shows a station less than 15 miles from me that sells ethanol /methanol free premium 93 octane  .

I've been lucky. My marina has had ethanol free fuel for years (both 87 and 93 octane) and the price has stayed steady this summer at $3.79 a gallon.......

My marina also has ethanol free ,currently it is $5.99 a gallon and was as high as $6.50 .

Being on an inland lake ,they know your stuck . The Ethanol free I found today ,90 octane was $4.15 .

Truthfully, I don't think you will have issues using ethanol based fuels if you ensure to use Marine Stabil, or Startron, if you mix it in when you get the fuel.

It won't do any good to mix with fuel if it's been sitting in your tank for a period of time, as phase separation has probably already occurred. Once that happens, nothing will help. Tank must be drained.

I've been using ethanol fuel with Stabil for 5 years now with no issues. (Knock on wood)

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I have purchased a 7 year platinum warranty for the motor  ,I use the Mercury additives .as they recommend. 

My thinking is that as long as I am going to transport gas ,and I can get ethanol/methanol free for a few cents more ,I might as well get it .

I was concerned about the higher octane ,which after reading the reply's and my manual is not an issue .

Yup my marina is on the list...........Virginia, Spotsylvania, Sturgeon Creek..............

Yeah, if I had someone close and price was comparable, I'd definitely buy ethanol free. But I absolutely would still use additives. I use the recommended Yami ring free additive in my fuel too. It's worth the $17 or so and lasts me a season. Don't use much with a 20hp motor .... Lol !!!!

I will also continue to use the additives also .I have heard some horror stories about what may happen in a tank below ground .

Just a word of caution about storing Quickleen (maybe others too). I always use it and keep some in the native bottle in the pocket of my helm door. Apparently, a bit of it leaked out and I discovered it melted the bottom of the fiberglass helm pocket. Obviously it's some kind of solvent so would go through any plastic container too. Oops, lesson learned the hard way.

Just a word of caution about storing Quickleen (maybe others too). I always use it and keep some in the native bottle in the pocket of my helm door. Apparently, a bit of it leaked out and I discovered it melted the bottom of the fiberglass helm pocket. Obviously it's some kind of solvent so would go through any plastic container too. Oops, lesson learned the hard way.
That is interesting .I wonder if the bottle is a different kind of plastic ?

Either way I keep mine at home in the garage ,Thanks for the heads up though.

That is interesting .I wonder if the bottle is a different kind of plastic ?

Either way I keep mine at home in the garage ,Thanks for the heads up though.
Yes the container is some other kind of plastic for sure.

Looking at prices I guess where lucky down here in Louisiana I paid 3.10 for ethanol free gas yesterday. They actually have quite a few stations around here that have ethanol free gas. But the refineries are also right across river too. Marinas are also cheap they know people will load up boat a drive LOL

Our 87 octane 100% gasoline is 20 cents per gallon more than 90/10, and I can live with that for my boat.

Since I may be using my boat a little through the Fall, I'm trying to run 100% gasoline this time of the year.  In the Summer when we're turning the tank over every couple of weeks, 90/10 with RingFree Plus does okay.

But I'm certainly not going to be hauling in gasoline from 30 miles away unless I happen to be driving by that gas station.

Our lake's marine gasoline is about $1.40 more per gallon than in town.  You bet I'm up to hauling a few Moeller gas tanks 50 yards down a hill for that much savings.

I'm just glad I'm not running one of the 5 Fountain/Cigarette boats in our neighborhood.  They can easily go through $200 per running hour with twin motors.

Kind of off subject, but just a warning. Those liquid filled air freshened that you clip onto your car a/c vents, DONT USE THEM !!! My buddy has a new Challenger, and it leaked in the vent, did the same thing. It ate the plastic away, paint coating and all. Luckily the dash itself was not damaged, just the replaceable vent portion. He's still waiting to hear from the manufacturer if they are going to cover the replacement cost of a new vent insert from MOPAR .....

Back