115 HP Gallonage

kaydano

Reaction score
So the marina fills up my tank (even though I told them not to), which forced me to do this calculation a bit sooner than I hoped.

They put 5.8 gallons of fuel in my tank, and I had put 4.2 hours on the motor since the last fill. That makes my gallonage just under 1.4 gallons per hour. I'm good with that. I'm great with that!

About 1/3rd the time was spent tubing, 1/3rd just above idle (1000 to 1500 rpm) and 1/3rd cruising around at about 3000-4000 rpm.

The sunk costs were sky high, but I'm lovin the incremental costs. Where else can two families have such an awesome time for $15?

The 115 hp motor seems to be a fuel mileage champion on a boat like you have. Next size up gets substantially less fuel mileage and costs $2K more.

Glad the 115 hp motor meets your needs.

Okay, I need to correct a couple things above.

First, the Express Package makes the bow ride high. Everyone knows this. The tank schematic provided by Hapehour: shows the tank float is in the back of the tank. This means I would use a considerable amount of gas before the back of the tank dropped enough to show movement on the fuel gauge. My new "gallonage" is now closer to 3 gallons per hour with HEAVY tubing, not 2. Not a major deal, just correcting past posts on this.

Also, this weekend we had a full boat (full house? Wait, that's poker) for the first time. 6 adults and 6 kids. With that number, top speed dropped from 35 mph (with 2 adults, two kids) to about 25 mph. Tubing brought it down to a nearly painful 20-21 mph tubing. Tubing worked, but the motor was really weighed down and it took full throttle almost all the time. The 6-9 year olds were fine with the ride. The 13 year olds didn't have NEARLY as much fun. The solution was to drop half off at a beach for a while. With a half full boat or less, we're able to send a couple 13 year olds on the tube airborne off of wakes.

So, just saying the 115 uses more gas than I thought due to tank design and a bow-high position, which fooled me until I had enough experience with the setup. And the power of the 115 HP is marginal for a full boat of people.

Just wanted to report this so others considering purchasing this combo know what the trade offs are and what they may be getting into. I do not have power OR hydraulic steering, and while the 115 HP is a little hard to turn, it's not that bad. I do a lot of circles and figure-8s when pulling tubes, so I do turns quite a bit. But, if you're thinking about buying a similar combo, and decide to go with the 150 HP, from what I hear, you will want to get the power steering.

Would I buy the same package if I had to do it all over? Well, at the time we purchased the boat, the 150 HP Verado with DTS and the power steering option would have put it at about a $5-6k upgrade to go with the 150 HP. Mercury has a new 150 that is substantially less. If you could get by with hydraulic steering instead of power (test drive them both), then the incremental is more like $4-5, I think. Some one can correct those numbers for future readers, that's just what I remember, and my memory on those numbers ain't the best.

Knowing what I know now, it would still be a tough decision as to whether the extra thousands $ would be worth it. Test drive, test drive, test drive!

Thanks for the extensive info. I'm currently on a 22sfi 50hp setup. Looking to trade up to a bigger setup (non fishing) with enough power to tube with 6 adults and 1 kid on board. Possibly a 2275Gl with a 115 Yammi on elips and strakes. You've got me thinking now. Most of the time I'll just be putt-putt'n around though.

Schmeg,

I have the 2012 Bennington 22 SSI with the new Mercury 150 four stroke, XL performance package (3 tubes) lifting strakes all 3 tubes, hyd steering & 31 gallon center pod fuel tank. The boat is very quick to plane and runs over 40mph (gps) with 6 adults and 3/4 tank of fuel. Boat is more than enough for tubing & water skiing. Hyd steering is a must! The XL Performance Package is not listed on the Bennington web site or boat builder. Just became available in late March.

RiverBill

I too thought I was through pulling skiers and tubers with 20-25 year old grandkids. Up pops 10 month old and 4 year old grandkids, and we're back in the tubing business.

I'm currently running a Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke on a 24' pontoon, and it's really strong in acceleration. But, it handles like a pig. I'm upgrading this Winter to a tritoon w/strakes or ellipticals w/strakes and a 150 hp motor.

Anyone considering a new boat that's going to carry heavy loads or do water sports, do yourself a favor and put the largest engine the hull is rated for. You'll never be sorry. The cost difference between the 115 and 150 is about $2K unless it's a Verado.

Verado's installation costs are extreme for fly by wire throttle parts and harnesses, $2K gauges and $3K labor to "plug in" the electronics. On inland lakes, the new Merc 150 Fourstroke will do just fine with a cable binnacle throttle and analog gauges--at a fair price. Yamaha and other major motor brands also do a great job.

Thanks for the info. I have a small extended family that comes to MAine on occasion along with the fact we have our first grandchild. Just planning ahead. Which model Merc 4 stroke do you refer to Riverbill? And does the XL package come with 3 25" tubes? Thanks, Jay.

Schmeg,

We have the new Mercury 150 4 stroke (new model), Yes the XL performance package has 3 full length 25 inch tubes. We added lifting strakes to the other 2 tubes. Below is the Bennington specs for the XL Package. It became available in late March 2012. I have pictures of the tubes posted in the Gallery (Our new 22 SSI)

RiverBill

XL -150 PERFORMANCE PACKAGE

Unpublished as of January 26, 2012 (published package name TBA) 3/12/12

• 25” Transom

• Full length 25” center tube

• Lifting strakes on center tube

• Performance foils on inside of outer tubes

• Rounded keels on all 3 tubes

• Wave tamer (same as Express Package wave tamer)

BENEFITS

• Provides ESP-like performance and banking on lighter boats

• Planes at a lower speed than the Express Tube Package

• Better boat balance, stability, handling and reduced spray in the transom area over the Express

AVAILABILITY

This package is designed for models with 20’ & 22’ tubes. Applies to S-Series only. This package benefits lighter boats and is functional on heavier boats to a lesser degree. Transom structure is rated for 150hp or less

• 22 SL / SLX

• 24 SL / SLX

• 22 SF / SFX

• 24 SF / SFX

• 22 SSL / SSLX

• 24 SSL /SSLX

NOTES

• Hydraulic steering not forced but still highly recommended for engines with 115hp or greater

• Capacities are the same as Express Tube Package capacities

• 32 gallon in tube fuel tank (available in March) replaces pod tank. Models with above floor tanks do not change (S- misc. models)

• Does affect ski tow options. Boats with transom fuel get a all new ski tow bar (to be developed) extended aft deck will get the same bar as a non-XL-150

That sounds like a nice setup. What was the retail on the XL Package? I've been looking at the S series as I currently have one, but wanted a

bigger boat and good performance, but a G with ESP and a 150 is a bit out of reach. Jay

Schmeg,

I ordered the boat with the Mercury 150 4 stroke & express tube package and a few upgrades. The boat was right around $35,000.00, the dealer told me about the XL package about a week later. So we changed the order to the XL performance Package, price stayed the same.

RiverBill

Awsome. Sounds like I may be looking to the 24Sli with your below deck setup. Thanks for the info, and your pics look great. Little different topography than hear in Maine.

Here is my Bennie just Hangin' in our favorite swimming cove.

med_gallery_462_34_18295.jpg

Schmeg,

I have the 2012 Bennington 22 SSI with the new Mercury 150 four stroke, XL performance package (3 tubes) lifting strakes all 3 tubes, hyd steering & 31 gallon center pod fuel tank. The boat is very quick to plane and runs over 40mph (gps) with 6 adults and 3/4 tank of fuel. Boat is more than enough for tubing & water skiing. Hyd steering is a must! The XL Performance Package is not listed on the Bennington web site or boat builder. Just became available in late March.

RiverBill
I hate you Riverbill, I hate you. I had things all sorted out in my little pea brain as far as my next boat would look like. Nice little 115 Yammi with elips on under a 2275gli. Nice little cruising boat for me and my mother and wife, and the occasional tube for the grandson. Now this setup comes by and changes the game for me. Same price point as what I was looking at, slightly less trim level, but now I'm into a 24sli with the 150 XL package and I'm skiing without having to empty the boat of people. I've checked out the new Merc 150. Very nice setup. I'v e bought Yammi all my life, bout it looks like the Merc is next. Thanks Riverbill, you just made me a 50 something into a 20 something wanting to go skiing again.

Schmeg,

Your Welcome! We have been playing all weekend on our local lake (Canyon Lake Ca.) 6 adults & dogs, the boat cruises nice at 30 mph with lots of throttle to spare! Just install the Lowrance Mark 4 GPS/Fish Finder work great gives me speed, water temp, location & fish/bottom structure! The new Mercury 150 is so quiet, you don't even know it's running at idle.

Enjoy!

RiverBill

Riverbill, I see you spec'd out a long shaft motor instead of a 20". Any good reason for that? Dealer recommendation? Just wondering. Edit: I think the picture of your transom answers my question.

It look like you need the extra length to get the prop past the bottom of the middle tube. Also, is your trailer specially made for a triple tube, or is it a standard toon trailer?

I too just came off the lake. Nice weekend here. High eighties for temp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Schmeg,

Bennington says the long shaft engine is reqired to get the prop below the center tube. The trailer is a Sport Boat trailer for 3 tube boats. It's a long trailer, looks like it could handle a 24 ft boat. The front ladder slides to adjust for different boats. I like the center and out side guides, makes loading the boat easy.

RiverBill

Back