115hp Mercury on 2018 22 SFX

Reaction score
I am in the break in period on my new 22 SFX with the 115 Mercury 4-stroke. I have the 2 25" tubes. What kind of speed should I expect with this set up. I'm only seeing about 28mph on gps, does that seem right?

Yup.

And let’s see some photos of the new boat!

I hit 27-28 MPH on my 21 slx with a 90 yamaha and light load(2 adults, 2 dogs) so seeing as how you have a bigger motor and bigger boat that might be close for the added weight. I mean how many people were on the boat, did you have it trimmed up at all and what type of water conditions? All that can play a roll in your speed. You generally hear people with 115's hitting low 30's on the 21 slx/sfx type boats..

What was your trim angle? Lifting the bow should reduce the resistance thru the water and thus increase your speed. I just took delivery of a 22SSX with the EPP and a 150. I just finished my 2 Hour break-in period. So I was able to get 39.9 mph with only me and 3/4 fuel running with a light wind. I had trimmed the Benny to the point that we were rocking slightly port to starboard. On the trim guage I was just at the far right mark on the guage...then I ran out of lake.

What was your trim angle? Lifting the bow should reduce the resistance thru the water and thus increase your speed. I just took delivery of a 22SSX with the EPP and a 150. I just finished my 2 Hour break-in period. So I was able to get 39.9 mph with only me and 3/4 fuel running with a light wind. I had trimmed the Benny to the point that we were rocking slightly port to starboard. On the trim guage I was just at the far right mark on the guage...then I ran out of lake.
Congrats on delivery! Pictures Yet??

Thanks for all of the input guys. We've only been out twice so far due to cold weather. I have about 3 hrs on the motor so far. I've determined my trim gauge is not working so I will need to take it in to be adjusted, but with that said, when I'm trimmed out and a relatively light load (me, my wife, and 2 small kids) I'm hitting 28. There has been a slight chop both times. No strakes on the boat. RPMs are 6500-7000. Speed isn't the most important thing for us I was just trying to determine if this is about average I guess. We are loving our new boat and our primary use will be fishing, cruising, swimming, and tubing. We were looking for something with enough size to comfortably bring another family with us. I couldn't bust the budget enough this time for the tri-toon and 200hp but maybe on the next one. Cant wait for warmer weather. Will post pics soon, I'm waiting for the G-series recliners that we added on the bow to arrive at the dealer to complete the package.

You're RPM's are too high.

I agree with cwag911. Looking at your RPMs you need a different prop with added pitch or diameter. Per the owners manual for my 150 Yamaha top RPM range is 5000 - 6000. Correcting this should add a few MPHs! Enjoy!!!

He’s got a Merc, so don’t those have a higher top RPM (but maybe not 7k)? No strakes will be a big limiter.

I missed that point. But the needed info is in the Owners Manual. If you are spinning 500 rpm above max as a new engine the prop is the issue.

Thanks for the input guys, I just went back to watch the video of my last run, my RPMs were topping out at 6100. I was actually taking a video to show the shop that my trim gauge was not working, but they will be taking care of that soon.

I am in the break in period on my new 22 SFX with the 115 Mercury 4-stroke. I have the 2 25" tubes. What kind of speed should I expect with this set up. I'm only seeing about 28mph on gps, does that seem right?
I had a triton 22’ pontoon with mercury115 with two of us on it 28 mph was all I could get

I had a triton 22’ pontoon with mercury115 with two of us on it 28 mph was all I could get
What is your max speed RPM? That speed is in the ballpark for a 2 log pontoon but definitely too low for a tri-toon or am I misinterpreting "triton" meaning the brand name and it is a two log boat?

What is your max speed RPM? That speed is in the ballpark for a 2 log pontoon but definitely too low for a tri-toon or am I misinterpreting "triton" meaning the brand name and it is a two log boat?
It was just a pontoon 2 log 115 not sure of rpm or the blade pitch

Back