1st Maintenance Cost

RedRaiderTooner

Reaction score
Hello all!

I dropped my 22SLi and Yamaha F115 off for her 1st 15 hour service at my selling dealer. I was quoted $346 before my 20 percent off coupon. I know cost can vary with horsepower and make, but may I ask what you guys are paying. I am having separation anxiety already.....

Will

Ouch! My break in period service was $107. Of course that's for a Merc. 115hp. Still, $350 sounds really steep.

Hey RedRaiderTooner - Had my initial service last October (Yamaha F90) and the charge was $308.

I remember when I first picked up my boat and signing various papers, the office lady made a point of giving me an info paper that said their service department shop labor rate was something like $115 an hour for outboard motors!

BTW - Tomorrow will be my first anniversary of boat ownership - have kept track and not counting fuel, I have spent $2344 on stuff related to the boat (toys, grills, anchors, lifejackets, ropes, straps, cleaners, polishers, POL stuff, dodads, etc. etc.)- just trying to do my part to keep the economy going :p

Hi Will, did they itemize your work order? I would like to know what all was included in that service. Seems to me they would have maybe $100.00 in materials? Oil, filter, lower unit lube, shop supplies? Just curious, i changed my own oil on my T50 Yammy, 2.5 qts oil and a filter, 25 bucks.

The parts were $110, tax was $30, and they had 2 hours down for labor at $96 an hour. I am thinking of going back to school to be an outboard mechanic....say the mechanic gets half of this charge. Nice way to make a living!

I thought of doing the service myself, but I didn't want any issues with warranty.

Will

Hello all!

I dropped my 22SLi and Yamaha F115 off for her 1st 15 hour service at my selling dealer. I was quoted $346 before my 20 percent off coupon. I know cost can vary with horsepower and make, but may I ask what you guys are paying. I am having separation anxiety already.....

Will
Your comment got me thinking so I called my dealer to ask what it will cost for winterization along with oil, filter and Lower unit change on my 2011 Yamaha T50. He said about $175.00 I think for that price I will go ahead and have the dealer do it. Then I have proof of service regrding the warrenty. After warrenty I will do it myself. I only have about 18 hours on the motor so by the time I take it out for the season I will have maybe 25 hours on it. I am just trying to burn off the 1st full tank.

Just dropped of mine for the 10 hour service.  The dealer told me to bring it in after 20 hours, and it has 30 hours on it now.  Had family down and used it quite a bit before taking it in.  I think I was quoted about $170 for this initial service.

Just my opinion, but I think those 10 20 30 hour service intervals, are nothing but a money grab for the dealer.  What service is it that needs to be done after 10 or 20 hours?  Check the oil?  Change the oil maybe.  Do it yourself and save a bunch of money.  Theres nothing to it.    Save your reciepts, there will be no warranty issues.

Something I just thought about...... if you don't have a trailer I guess the do it yourself option doesn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last season mine was $225 ,20 hr ,no trailer .

If I recall correctly, those initial services also include checking the motor over, and adjusting valves if needed, carb linkages, shift linkages, etc.....

My dealer charges $150 for lower unit, oil, filter, fuel filter, adjustments as needed, and a once over to look for any issues being it's still under warranty. After spending what we did, it's worth it to me to pay the dealer.

Back