2 sharkhide ?s

akleaders

Reaction score
Boat comes in a couple of weeks. It will have sharkhide applied at factory. The guy at sharkhide said that Bennington does a nice job. He also said that they apply 2 coats.

1) did most of you apply a 3rd coat?

2) did anyone do their trailer?

3). Can anyone confirm that they do in fact apply 2 coats? Wondering if 3rd is necessary.

From everything I have read, a 3rd coat is not necessary.

2 coats is sufficient. The 2nd coat is for the spots you missed during the first coat......

I had to do some touch ups where my dealer scraped it off. And in retrospect, I would have gone in and done my transom area and done a little better around the ends of the pontoons like up onto the M brackets. 

Boat comes in a couple of weeks. It will have sharkhide applied at factory. The guy at sharkhide said that Bennington does a nice job. He also said that they apply 2 coats.

1) did most of you apply a 3rd coat?

2) did anyone do their trailer?

3). Can anyone confirm that they do in fact apply 2 coats? Wondering if 3rd is necessary.
1) It was my understanding that they apply only 1 coat at the factory (due to the need to let the first coat cure before the 2nd coat is applied), but it is supposedly applied on all logs, inside and out. Based on that (assuming if correct) our dealer applied a second coat for no charge (due to the fumes, outside of logs, transom, inner logs as far as they could reach, easily see, etc. only and not further in on the inner logs which I was fine with).

2) I believe Sharkhide is for raw aluminum only and won't do much, if anything, for painted, powder-coated, or anodized surfaces (or is it needed?). On Benningtons, my understanding is all rails, deck sides, etc. are anodized. That is a quality thing that separates them from the rest - just another reason you bought a quality boat, whether you knew it or not :)  . We have a Blackout so they are definitely anodized (black) and I believe all others are anodized clear (hopefully someone else on this forum can confirm). If you have raw aluminum wheels on your trailer (raw as in not clear-coated or painted), you may consider Sharkhiding them as I've heard of others doing that as well. If any question on non-raw aluminum surfaces, I recommend contacting Sharkhide to confirm first as not knowing the properties of it, being chemical, there's always a chance that it could be detrimental to other finishes. If you research and find out, please post (also assuming someone on the forum doesn't already have the answer)...

3) See answer 1 above. If they do only do one coat, would recommend a second to ensure would be covered to eliminate scratches or streaks for any places missed (not that there's a quality issue at the factory, just cheap insurance). If 2 coats already, sorry I can't confirm if a 3rd coat would do you much good.

A side note about the Sharkhide thing - mentioned to my local dealer that the guy who invented it must now be doing quite well and not only does he know the guy, turns out he lives pretty much just down the road 20 minutes from us. Sure enough, right on the can - O'Fallon, IL. Sometimes the world is smaller than you think!

Anyone sharkhide their trailer?

or the rails (I assume no)......I just wax

Since the rails were mentioned, anyone wax their rails and know it to have a purpose other than just peace of mind? Assuming as all are anodized and considering all the stiffening grooves that would make it a pain, wondering if any reason or benefit to doing so.

Back