2 Warning Beeps..........

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Just got back from a great day on the lake. The boat ran fine. Took my nephews tubing and showed them around the lake cruising at 30/35/40 MPH........... but every 30-45 seconds we kept hearing 2 warning beeps and this happened ALL DAY! Now I know my Mercruiser has the Engine Guardian system where it monitors High temps, Low oil pressure, Low drive lube, Low seawater pressure, Low battery voltage, etc. All the gauges were normal and I checked all fluids..........It's supposed to emit a continuous alarm if there is a problem and shut the engine down to protect it............NOT 2 Warning beeps! I know my engine is trying to tell me something.......but what?????? Any ideas gentlemen????????

Still a part of my Hull Truth boating forum. Did a search on your subject.

some ideas

Constant beep alarms are for:

1.) low outdrive lube level.

Two Alarm beeps every 60 seconds are for:

1.) Faulty cam,

2.) IAC,

3.) MAP,

4.) MAT,

5.) knock sensors.

6.) open/short in the engine cooling temp circuit

7.) open/short in fuel injector wiring circuit,

8.) open/short in oil PSI circuit,

9.) open/short in exhaust manifold cooling temp circuit,

10.) open/short in sea pump circuit,

11.) open/short in throttle position circuit

here is the link

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/281419-mercruiser-5-0-mpi-2-beep-1-min-pause-alarm.html

Final fix for his particular problem was this

The mech took her out yesterday with the CDS connected. When he got to about 3100ish RPM the shift interrupter switch went from in gear to neutral to back into gear and triggered a critical horn when it did. The ECM got the transition and based on the RPM, the "in gear" state what it saw from the SIS didn't make sense.

They ordered a switch. He's about 80% confident this is it. UPDATE: Problem solved........

Hopet this helps

Todd

Thanks Todd for the info..............called my marinas service department this morning and had them write up a service ticket. I checked everything I could on my own............

Update on the 2 Warning beeps.................... Especially my fellow Mercruiser I/O owners .............the original diagnosis was the IAC (Idle Air Control) was faulty. Which would explain the warning beeps and the boat not idling very well towards the end of the day and when we were approaching the ramp to take our boat out. It cut out on us twice. The weird thing was that the boat ran flawlessly throughout the day (except the warning beeps) and it started acting up at the end. (I guess I should be thankful we weren't stranded somewhere)...................But when my marinas service department really got into the root cause they discovered that the electric fuel pump was running intermittently and it actually stopped working altogether when testing...............Okay, new fuel pump, possibly new IAC valve. No big deal..................until they told me that the fuel pump is installed on the underside of the Mercruisers and the engine has to be jacked up in the motor pod or removed altogether to gain access to replace it..............All of a sudden it becomes a BIG DEAL............

Oh Crap. I was feeling good when I saw it was the IAC and that was part of what the guys on the Hull Truth saw. But now, not so much. That stinks my friend. Whats the down time the marina is saying? Any chance on warranty covering that bill? I love power and clean lines of a I/O on a pontoon or go fast performance boat (then again twin or triple or quad outboards are bad a$$, but this would be my worse nightmare of having to pull a boat apart to service the engine.

Todd

Todd.........talked to the marina today and the engine has already been removed and they are waiting for the "Cool fuel assembly" to include the electric fuel pump to arrive......The IAC is also going to be replaced.......Once the parts come in (Friday or possibly Monday) they said it will be a day or two for installation of the fuel pump and IAC and to re install the engine and water test........We're talking probably a week of down time.........Not bad for a job of this size........Total cost........ about $1000. 6 or 7 hrs. of labor plus parts...........The boat is 9 yrs. old so there is no warranty. We've had this boat for 6 seasons now and this the first major problem we've ever had..............AAAAAHHHH the ups and downs of boat ownership!

Ahhh. Joys of owning a boat = BOAT - Breakout Out Another Thousand. You know how to simulate the joys of boating? Stand in a cold shower and tear up $1000 dollar bills.

So sorry for your bad luck. Hopefully this is it and you can get back on the water soon

Todd

That's funny! It'll be fixed soon...............just a small bump in the road............

Got "Big Kahuna" back...........Took them about a week to get the parts in, remove the engine and replace the electric fuel pump and Idle Air Control valve. Took it out last Friday and it ran as good as ever...........It better after about $1100. The majority of it being labor.............

Good to hear you're back on the lake.

Thanks Carl..........we actually didn't miss any lake time. It rained most of the time it was in the shop. We wouldn't have gone out anyway........

Yup, raining here today, AGAIN! Hey, look up that house on our street again (8030 Shipps ln.) Still no sold sign onit. Maybe it fell through.

My real estate agent inquired about it..............It's a short sale.........Bank accepted 5 offers and is mulling them over............Could take months!

Back