20 hr service question about Amazon.com

Resqu2

Reaction score
Anyone buy their oils and filters from Amazon, found complete kits for oil change and it says it's the Yamalube, they also have the fuel water separator and gear oil, just wanted to make sure it's ok to order from here. First boat and it needs the 20 hr service before spring. Seems like I can pick up everything for just a bit over $100 and my local shop wants $275 to do the 20 hr service.

I have never ordered "those" items from Amazon .But I buy nearly everything else from them . Very easy to return something if that is your concern .

You might want to check out simyamaha.com. I bought all my 20hr maintenance fluids and hardware from that website and they had everything I needed. You can compare their prices with Amazon. Bottom line is the 20 hr maintenance is very easy and can save you money. My dealer wanted $300 and it cost me under $100 for everything including the fuel water separator. It took me less than an hr to do it myself and I saved over $200 in the process.

You might want to check out simyamaha.com. I bought all my 20hr maintenance fluids and hardware from that website and they had everything I needed. You can compare their prices with Amazon. Bottom line is the 20 hr maintenance is very easy and can save you money. My dealer wanted $300 and it cost me under $100 for everything including the fuel water separator. It took me less than an hr to do it myself and I saved over $200 in the process.
Great site, just got everything ordered, bought a few tools for the filters, fuel stabilizer, prop cotter pin and lower unit oil pump all for $160 shipped. Next time the whole order will be around $100, sure beats the $275 each time the dealer touches it.

Paid 175.00 to have mine done 

Well worth having it done and done right 

Wasn't difficult after watching the process

Now the annual check up is important since I had my 100 hour check up

http://youtu.be/R0FNVrhblwg

" If you are lucky enough to live on the water, you are lucky enough "

F3E8C57F06C417D502DC96C9A11F6E7C.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A 20 hour "checkup" is just a huge profit maker for any boat dealership.  Yamaha doesn't even specify changing the oil filter first time out.

My cost of the oil and oil filter was about $30.  You can buy a quart of lower unit grease at Walmart for $5.50, and a pair of tiny paper gaskets on the lower unit are $2.  That's it, as long as the engine's running great.

Time required to change oil and the lower unit grease--1/2 hour.

My only problem was the oil filter.  It took a good oil filter wrench and a strong arm to get the filter off.  Yamaha doesn't intend to have any leaking filters on factory installed filters.  I cross referenced their filter on Fram.com and bought a premium brand auto filter that's the same size as Yamaha's for 1/4th the price.

At my second oil change, I switched over to Mobil 1 EP (extended performance) 10W30.  After reading about lubrication on BobIsTheOilGuy.com, the EP is a superior quality oil and well suited for fresh water marine use.

Yamaha publishes a maintenance checklist with their owner's manual.  There are no tasks on the list that an owner cannot do.  Far down the line, a timing belt change is something that's a dealer maintenance item, and only then will my boat see a dealership.

Take a picture of the stuff you bought and keep the receipt for warranty purposes. I even snapped a photo of me doing the work since my phone was in my pocket.

Back