20 SLX Garmin 531s

Pcoyne

Reaction score
I own a 20 SLX with the garmin echo100 and want to upgrade to a 531s does anyone know first if it will fit? And second is it hard to install?

I don't know what your dash looks like but I installed a 431s in our 2007 rl and it wasn't that hard. Toughest part is cutting the dash. The transducer is the same so you'll have a spare and the wiring is the same so you'll also have a spare harness. If you look in my gallery you'll see the install.

Good info Carl, I now know I'll be upgrading my 100 also.

Smitty

Smitty,

If you go garmin shop around. I have seen the 531s anywhere from 799.00 to 499.00.

Smitty,

If you go garmin shop around. I have seen the 531s anywhere from 799.00 to 499.00.
Oh trust me, I'm am quite frugal ..... I buy from locals when I can, especially on high dollar service items, but electronics are crazy competitive online.

Our dealer told me the Echo 100 and the 531 had different transducers and the new tranducer wire had to be used as well.

Anyone confirm this?

Steve

I own a 20 SLX with the garmin echo100 and want to upgrade to a 531s does anyone know first if it will fit? And second is it hard to install?
Very interested in the outcome here as I have a 24SSLX with the echo and would love to replace it with a 5 series

Brian

I had my dealer put the Garmin 531s on my 2012RL There is a pix in my gallery of it. He used a flush mount kit and it barely fits, so tight the cover does not stay on real well. When I bought it the boat was already outfitted with an echo100, I know they had to change the transducer and I think I do remember that they had to use a different wire as well. Hard to belive it makes that much of a difference but my tired eyes loves the 5" screen compared to the 431's 4" screen on my last boat

Why the upgrade?

Fish finding ability?

Screen size?

Accuracy?

I rarely glance at the GPS unless I am worried for water depth or curious about speed.

Why the upgrade?

Fish finding ability?

Screen size?

Accuracy?

I rarely glance at the GPS unless I am worried for water depth or curious about speed.
Me personally, color screen, better clarity, I use mine more for watching depth near shore.

I also feel my RLi deserves better than the 100. Its like buying a BMW and sticking a $59 gps on the windshield .....

I don't fish, we are shoreline slow cruisers and I do boat in a 29 mile resevoir where the water does fluctuates but probably the main reason is we do sunset cruises most weekends and sometimes they last well into the night. I also emphatically agree with Semperfi, When you consider that the fish finder retails at West Marine for $79 and the 531s is $599 I was amazed that such an expensive boat came with a crappy little black and white fish finder, imo the 431 should be the standard on a Benny

I agree we have the Cadillac of boats but yet the cheapest fish finder on the market! This is my only complaint by far. I also am on Sacandaga and it is a nice piece of mind in a shallow water lake. Plus it's nice to have all the toys.

PS I want a R series helm chair anyone help?

I have a 2012 2075gl and have the factory installed garmin 431s on it. It fits the dash very nice . I would have liked the 531s but I was told it doesnt fit as well. And this one was factory installed and looks good. Hoss

Transducers are the same. I upgraded my 100 with the 431. To confirm check the accessories pages on Garmin's web site, same part number for most all models unless you want the speed paddlewheel transducer option. The difference in the 100 and the 431 cable was one had an extra connector on the back of the boat so the transducer itself only had a 4ft lead and the other one had a 1 piece cable to the transducer. The two piece lead one (Echo 100) had more wires(6) in the extention lead, but the transducer itself only had three, same as the 431 transducer. I guess the 6 wire extension is so it can be used with either the regular transducer or the transducer with a speed paddle wheel option.

They are not the same, here are the specs for the Echo 100

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=85268

And here is the 431

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=28752&ra=true

At least the way I read it, one says dual beam and 400 rms and the other is 100rms single beam. I know that in my 09 2075GLi the depth finder sucked when you were underway at any real speed, and the 431 on my 2012 2275RCW kicks its button. I'm not really knowledgeable in fish finders and transducers, but I KNOW one is better than the other, change it all I say.

Derrick

They are not the same, here are the specs for the Echo 100

https://buy.garmin.c...op.do?pID=85268

And here is the 431

https://buy.garmin.c...D=28752&ra=true

At least the way I read it, one says dual beam and 400 rms and the other is 100rms single beam. I know that in my 09 2075GLi the depth finder sucked when you were underway at any real speed, and the 431 on my 2012 2275RCW kicks its button. I'm not really knowledgeable in fish finders and transducers, but I KNOW one is better than the other, change it all I say.

Derrick
I have them both in my hand, brand new in the box. They are the same excepting one has a short cord and an extention to get it to the front, while the 431 had a 1 piece cord. Same part number 010-10249-00 excepting a -01 on the 100 one, indicating the 2 piece lead. Both have 3 pins used on the plug. A few months back when I bought the 431S the Garmin site listed the exact same transducer part number for both units. They have since came out with a series of Intelliducers with all different numbers.

Back