2004 207FS to sportier model

Secordbums

Reaction score
We currently have a 2004 207FS with a 40HP 4 stroke Johnson that we bought new. I find that we rarely use it for fishing as the fishing isn't as good on Secord Lake as I had hoped and the best fishing ends up being in front of my house. Normally we are cruising the lake as most pontoons are. I also have a 6 year old that is starting to get close to the tubing age.

After a brief stint of wanting a bow rider I realized what I want is a medium sized pontoon that has more speed when I want it. I am looking at the 22 SSL or SSLX. I don't understand the difference that the X brings as it seems to be X rails whatever they are and you can just add those to the SSL?. I want either the eliptical toons or the express performance package with one of the 115 or 150 Mercury options. I also like the GCW but the prices are quite a bit higher. What is the big advantage of the G series over the S series?

Please let me know any other options I should consider. I hear the buy the most horsepower you can afford advice but I am happy with the 40HP 80% of the time right now so is the 150 worth close to $3000 more than the 115?

I am very excited about getting another Bennington. First one was at 30, next is at 40. Hopefully this trend will continue for more decades to come.

Thanks

Yes it is. My other 22' toon had a 40hp., I repowered to a 90HP and this year I repowered to a 120HP. You can always throttle down but on a boat HP makes all the difference.

Yes, X rails are exterior rail option. Def. gives it that high end look. I love the X rails !!

As Remediation says, you can always throttle down, but you can't add more without swapping motors.

Look at Yamaha performance bulletins to get an idea of fuel consumption numbers on different sizes.

You may find a 115 or 150 will work fine at that 20% tubing/80% cruising scenario for fuel efficiency,

where the cost and fuel rate in a 200/250 may not warrant it. Now if you go to a 80/20 tubing ratio, it may make sense.

I have it easy..... I'm on a 20HP restricted lake, so cruising for me is 3mph and 3/10 gph fuel or high speed is 12 mph at like 1 gph. :D

Smitty

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, X rails are exterior rail option. Def. gives it that high end look. I love the X rails !!

As Remediation says, you can always throttle down, but you can't add more without swapping motors.

Look at Yamaha performance bulletins to get an idea of fuel consumption numbers on different sizes.

You may find a 115 or 150 will work fine at that 20% tubing/80% cruising scenario for fuel efficiency,

where the cost and fuel rate in a 200/250 may not warrant it. Now if you go to a 80/20 tubing ratio, it may make sense.

I have it easy..... I'm on a 20HP restricted lake, so cruising for me is 3mph and 3/10 gph fuel or high speed is 12 mph at like 1 gph. :D

Smitty
So are there many water skiers on your lake Smitty? :blink: sometimes it would be nice, not worrying about any idiots racing around, except when I wanna go racing around!

Secordbums,

We have the 2012 Bennington 22SSi, with the 150 Mercury four stroke and the XL performance package, full lenght 25 inch tripple toon. The SSi has the fishing station in the rear. The boat is plenty fast 40 mph (gps) with 6 adults, pulls skiers and tubers fine. Handles very well, dry & the 150 mercury is quiet. Great all around boat, crusies at 26 mph @ 3000 rpms. The S series is the lower end Bennington pontoon less bells and whistles, R series have more upgrades & designs.

RiverBill

So are there many water skiers on your lake Smitty? :blink: sometimes it would be nice, not worrying about any idiots racing around, except when I wanna go racing around!
Nope, no skiers here !! Just alot of us slow cruisers. We had a jet boat at the river, and got tired of all the skiers/tubers swinging past the boat while anchored.

It is AMAZING how stupid a small amount of individuals can be near other boaters....... We like the slow atmosphere of our lake now .... :)

Now if we feel the need for speed, we head into the wind. makes it feel like we are going fast !!! :D

Now with our 2275 R model, we have TONS of room to move around or just lay down and sleep. HUGE difference from our 615 GillGetetr !! :lol:

Now if we feel the need for speed, we head into the wind. makes it feel like we are going fast !!! :D
Hahahahaha love that one!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hahahahaha love that one!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's true, ten mph toon speed and 20 mph headwind, and we are cruising at 30 mph !!!! Feels just like the jet boat !!! :lol:

I appreciate the input and I think I will go with the 150HP Mercury in a 22 foot. Now to decide the SSL or the GCW. What upgrades are in the G series? Any other options I should not pass up? Old reliable Bennington is headed for Secord Lake Marina Friday to put up for the winter. I plan to have them appraise it for a trade in at that time. They are supposed to get a bunch of new boats in first week of November to show me. Thanks again.

Are you set on the 22' due to space restraints? I was going with a S 20' originally, then priced the 22' vs 24'. Even though there was a large increase (around 5K) from 20' to 22', it was only around $1500 from the 22' to the 24'. I was going to also get the extended deck option to get max deck size for fishing and storage for the ICW. We then priced a G model and with all the standards vs the S model, we were only $1500 more than the 24' S model.

We ended up with a 22RLi leftover for less than the G model price, but I still got 22' of deck, but I lost the extended deck. :(

You might think about the extra size for the minimal up charge.

I appreciate the input and I think I will go with the 150HP Mercury in a 22 foot. Now to decide the SSL or the GCW. What upgrades are in the G series? Any other options I should not pass up? Old reliable Bennington is headed for Secord Lake Marina Friday to put up for the winter. I plan to have them appraise it for a trade in at that time. They are supposed to get a bunch of new boats in first week of November to show me. Thanks again.
SSL is nice, but GCW is the bomb !!! If budget allows, I'd go GCW anyday. I love the center walk throughs.

Again, my RLi deal was too good to pass up, or we would have figured out a way to go GCW.

I definitely want extended deck on the back. Length limitation are only due to the fact that we are on the main channel off the main lake. If I get the 24 I am worried with an extended rear deck I am trying to turn around a limo in a regular parking lot so to speak. I normally turn my 20 footer around in front of our place without issue. The channel is probably about 80 to 100 feet across by our place. Also normally it is just me, my wife and our 6 year old. Every other run we bring 4 to 6 others with us. 20 feet of deck seems ideal for what we need but 150 HP seems like what I want. (maybe not what I need). The rear facing loungers are a big selling item to my wife. That is the reason for the SSL or GCW. Still not sure of why the G series is so much better than the S. R series I see the benefit. My budget is in the high 20k's to low 30k's. If you really push the benefits I can see touching 40k.

The extended deck will stick out NO FARTHER than your motor will. It's maybe a couple inches longer than the transom length without the motor attached (not including ladder).

The G has some standard options that are upgrade on S.

I believe the Helm is different, teak wheel upgrade,kicker speakers, vinyl covered seat bases, captains chair upgrade, 16" o/c mid ship floor joists, changing room, teak table, fancier exterior rail system,etc..... And the GCW looks like its STANDARD extended aft deck

S is very nice, G is just nicer.

I think high low-mid 30's should be very feasible with the 150 knowing what I was quoted with a 20hp Yami installed.

(No trailer in that price)

I researched this to death when we were in the initial ordering stage. We started with basic 20' S model, but ended with aloaded 22RL ..... Go figure :lol:

Boat is coming out tomorrow....bad day of the year. Thanks for the info and advice. I think I will make the decision over the winter months as I am still OK with the 207FS until my new one. I am leaning to the 22 GCW with the 150 Merc right now. I will take my time and figure it out. Your comment starting with the S and ending up with the RL hits home. Seems I end up that way in my past. I actually have an extra $300/mth to spend due to refinancing our lake house on top of my conservative monthly budget. At 10 years again and probably about $8K for the 207FS I have quite a bit to think about. Anybody interested in a gently used 2004 207FS with a 40HP 4 stroke Johnson let me know. All I know is next purchase is Bennington! Thanks

Yeah, ours comes out on Monday.....not a good day :(

Just a heads up, Bank Of America had a great rate on boat loans when I got mine. 4.59% / 10 years. 4.25% less than both my local credit unions. I wanted to give them the business, even offered them 6.5% to go local, but they would not budge.

Good Luck with whatever boat you choose. If you get it through Scott he'll likely take good care of you. Remember...outboard motors are kinda like Pole Barns...no one ever complains that they got it too big but, many have complained they should have gotten it bigger. Since we're on Secord as well...C U on the lake in the Spring!

Good Luck with whatever boat you choose. If you get it through Scott he'll likely take good care of you. Remember...outboard motors are kinda like Pole Barns...no one ever complains that they got it too big but, many have complained they should have gotten it bigger. Since we're on Secord as well...C U on the lake in the Spring!
hmmmmm... heard my wife make a statement to that effect, and I don't have a pole barn....wonder what she meant ???? :p

Well its been a few months of feeding the woodstove but I figure we are pretty close to time to order a boat to have it in the spring. We have gone round and round and we are thinking the 2250 GBR with the 115 merc. Should do us for the next 10 years carting friends around and my now 6 year old son around on the tube. I am not a huge fan of tubing on Secord Lake anyway unless it is on the weeknights or other slower times. I plan to go talk to Scott here in the next week or two and see if I can talk him out of the one he has for himself in the showroom. Getting excited about summer.....

When I was looking at boats I built both S and G models that were comparable and then equipped them as identically as I could to meet my specs... The 2275 GCW I ended up with was only marginally more money, and required the least amount of upgrading for more fit and finish. It also opened the door for more options, and I love the center walkway. Either way you go, the Benningtons are nice boats. The only one I've ever seen (mind you I'm in Oregon, and quality pontoon boats are just starting to catch on here) that even came close was some sort of South Bay, but even it didn't have as nice of a floor plan... Or motor. I smoked it leaving the dock heading to the cove. Their eyes went wide open when I opened her up and flew by!

Argh! so I thought I made up my mind but now you bring the GCW again. Scott has a GCW and GBR in his showroom so I guess I need to bring my wife and make up our minds.

Back