2004 2575 5.0 inboard steering

Craft

Reaction score
I have a power steering pump on my engine and sea star arm on the back of my engine. Power steering pump has been replaced and steering still hard after riding 10 or 15 minutes. With this steering system should I be able to steer with one hand or should it be hard?  

I'm pretty sure you'd have full power steering and with that should come one handed operation. If the pump is new double check the fluid level, the obvious... the belt being on and tensioned. The next would be to verify the actual out drive is not tight at any of the pivot points. You'd have to disconnect the steering cylinder to verify that. I'd start with the simple and go from there.

Be sure to check to make sure the steering pump has 12v power (fuse or breaker).

An I.O. should have an engine mounted automotive type pump. Have the lines been bled after replacement?

Thanks, tried bleeding last year and lost all steering. Not sure if you bleed on the back on the sea star or somewhere else. 

Thanks, tried bleeding last year and lost all steering. Not sure if you bleed on the back on the sea star or somewhere else. 

If not this video, maybe one of those listed on the right sidebar.

It should be one handed steering.  With the belt driven pump, it is like steering your car.

Back