2010 2250 RCW w/ 150 Yamaha running slow?

Please post an update to this thread when you have experimented. I'm in a similar situation. I have a new 2019 Bennington with 150 Yamaha and get 32 mph at 5200 rpm WOT. I'm pretty sure my issue is prop. Mine says 15-M and 14 1/2 under that.
Will do. Mine is a 14 3/4 x 17.

Please post an update to this thread when you have experimented. I'm in a similar situation. I have a new 2019 Bennington with 150 Yamaha and get 32 mph at 5200 rpm WOT. I'm pretty sure my issue is prop. Mine says 15-M and 14 1/2 under that.

With a light load (not maxed out on gas or gear), and with just 1-2 people, you’d want your RPM’s at WOT closer to 6000 if trying to tweak performance. Your motor should be in the 5000-6000 RPM range at WOT. You want to be at the higher end with a light boat load, so when loaded down with weight, your RPM’s still stay above that 5000 RPM mark. Search these forums for recommended prop ideas. The Yamaha 150 is a very popular motor in this forum, and lots of people have dialed in prop ideas for it. You should be able to get some very good ideas HBrantley. Good Luck!

Ok, I cannot see the cavitation plate while cruising, however, when I got in the water, the cavitation plate is about an inch below the bottom of the center toon. Also, my prop is a 14 3/4 x 17.

Yup, sounds too low Brad. Also keep in mind that when you hooped in the water, the boats just floating as close to level as it will get. When under way, and particularly at WOT, that back end is sitting even lower in the water as it pushes the boat forward. If an inch low stationary, it is even lower when underway.

Yup, sounds too low Brad. Also keep in mind that when you hooped in the water, the boats just floating as close to level as it will get. When under way, and particularly at WOT, that back end is sitting even lower in the water as it pushes the boat forward. If an inch low stationary, it is even lower when underway.
What are your thoughts on the prop? It’s a Solas 14 3/4 x 17. All weekend never got over 5100 rpms, but did gps 28mph on glass. I’m going to wash the toons either this week or next to emilinate any possibility of grime causing any issues.

My Yammy 150 has a 14.4 x 15”. Mine is right at 6000 WOT, and I get 38+ MPH. You have too much pitch for that one. I’ve got the express toon in the middle, so with that SPS, you should be running faster than mine.

My motor is also in the third hole.

A4348005-9307-446D-9DBC-54A4497A0389.jpeg

My Yammy 150 has a 14.4 x 15”. Mine is right at 6000 WOT, and I get 38+ MPH. You have too much pitch for that one. I’ve got the express toon in the middle, so with that SPS, you should be running faster than mine.

View attachment 24969
Thank you the input! What brand prop do you have? Do different brands work better with different motors?

View attachment 24969
By the way, what’s with the leds next to you motor? I have never seen them there.

Too much pitch, you are killing your motor.

Too much pitch, you are killing your motor.
I’m beginning to see this. This is the prop that came with it. I have read several articles now that say that the wrong prop is the fastest way to destroy your motor. I have always thought something was up. I've had boats all of my life, but this is my first pontoon. It just seems like something is "dragging" when I'm going. I'm glad I asked on this thread. Now, figuring out the proper pitch... One site mentions a 14.5 x 15, one says 15.6 x 15, and a third (the Yamaha site) says 14.5 x 13. I have a marina that will allow me to put several diff types on there to test them out and then get the best one for the boat, but they also have the most expensive props anywhere. By hundreds of dollars. Not quite double the cost, but close.

Is this from the dealer that propped it wrong to begin with? If that is the case I suggest the following.

Step 1. Use their props to get the boat dialed in, write down the winner, go back and say, "I'm going to keep what I have"
Step 2. Buy the prop somewhere else.

If they put the wrong prop on it from the start (which you paid for when you bought the boat) they should not profit on you fixing their mistake.

Different dealer. I got the boat in TX, about 5 hours from where I live. I’m going to call another marina close to my house (not on the water) whose prices and reputation are great. I live close to the AR river, so I have marinas around me, however, there will be no putting my boat in the river right now (if you have seen any news about the AR river hitting 500 year flooding in Little Rock , that is about 10 mins from me)

Thank you the input! What brand prop do you have? Do different brands work better with different motors?

Here’s what’s on mine. Does very well. 6CEB640E-7327-4DF3-AC7D-83E43262D292.jpegC084E0A2-11A4-4068-BCFC-8734A4AB0A9C.jpeg

Ok, update fellas... Got to the lake last night and raised the motor. I went from the first hole (all the way down) to the third hole. My RPMs went from 5100 to 5600-5700 and my speed went from 27 to 32. Not to mention how much 'lighter' the boat feels on the water when I'm going. HUGE difference! Thanks for all the input. I think I will order a 14.5 x 15 prop to get me right at 6000. I bet everyone was wondering what I was doing at the ramp. Lol. Just pulled up to where the trailers park, and it took less than thirty mins from start to finish.

Ok, update fellas... Got to the lake last night and raised the motor. I went from the first hole (all the way down) to the third hole. My RPMs went from 5100 to 5600-5700 and my speed went from 27 to 32. Not to mention how much 'lighter' the boat feels on the water when I'm going. HUGE difference! Thanks for all the input. I think I will order a 14.5 x 15 prop to get me right at 6000. I bet everyone was wondering what I was doing at the ramp. Lol. Just pulled up to where the trailers park, and it took less than thirty mins from start to finish.

Nice results! I think once you swop props, you’ll see another jump in performance. Glad it’s working out for ya.

Back