2013 2550 RCB delivered. Disappointing

Reaction score
Hello fellow Bennington owners. I just picked up my new 2013 2550 RCB on Friday. Unfortunately, there were a lot of problems with the boat as delivered...I mean a LOT OF PROBLEMS! The dealer says they will work with Bennington to get all of the issues resolved. I'm hopeful. It was a very disappointing 3 hour experience. On a positive note, I've really enjoyed this site and all of the owners keen knowledge of all things pontoon. I even ordered the PTM Edge mirror based on the forum reviews. Crappy weather here, so boat hasn't seen water yet. Hopefully it'll float, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bennington and your dealer will take care of your issues. If they were obvious, then I think the dealer should have seen them before you went to pick the boat up as Bamaman said. I was in the car business (technician) for high-end Porsche and Mercedes for 35 years and pre-delivery inspection was very important. I'm sure all issues will be taken care of to your satisfaction and you will be enjoying your new boat very soon (if the weather would get better). Bennington stands behind their product 110%.

Gee Greg, that's a pretty vague post you put up, tell us what's going on with your boat!

I think it's a bit unfair to just complain without giving us any idea of what problems you are having.

Wow. I find this surprising. Although I have yet to take final possession of my boat, my quick scan at the dealer really has me excited. Can you give us some details?

Although mine was still shrink wrapped during my initial inspection. I was happy with my "crawl through" inspection!! We'll have to wait and see but my last minute changes were on the boat. Also curious on the issues above.

My 2013 2550 rbr should be in next week. Sure would like to know what was wrong with your so I know what to look for

Sorry to hear about your disappointment, Greg. I'm sure the issues will be taken care of and you'll be able to laugh about it one day..............

On a lighter note.........You won't be dissapointed with the quality and performance of your PTEM Edge Pontoon boat rear view mirror. I'll personally vouch for that!!!!!!!!!!

Our 2013 2550 GBR with a yamaha 225 is due in 4 to 5 weeks with all of our changes we have made I hope all goes well after reading Greg,s post. Wish the best to Greg on geting his issues taken care of what ever they may be.

sorry, didn't think anyone would be interested in details.....

A 2550 RCB would require two 12' biminis if ordered with the full camper enclosure. It delivered from the factory with a 12' rear and 10' forward..of course the dealer installed both and THEN noticed the camper enclosure didn't fit. I don't know if the dealer or Bennington installs the bimini top light, but it was placed so that the cloth doesn't fit properly over it..and I'd be willing to bet it will affect the fit of the camper because part of the zipper is not aligned correctly....I'm sure the bar the light is attached to will have to be drilled with more holes to fix this.

I ordered Ivory Diamond Pillow Back upholstery: the front lounger that curves into the bow gate ... no diamond pattern...so with the bow seat (the bow seat does have the diamond patter) in place you can see a distinct gap on either side of the bow seat where the pattern is plain...no diamond pattern. The same stretch of curved seat also has two large "bumps" of foam on the seat that stick up and look awful....it's like someone left two stray pieces of foam under the vinyl. There's a 3" gab at the bottom of one of the seats where the sea grass kick step isn't covered completely.

The motor had a couple of nuts missing bolts that attach to the steering mechanism....really glad the rep caught that one.

I don't know exactly who does what in relation to Bennington vs dealer. I made the same comment as you guys....why didn't the dealer catch all these VERY obvious problems and address them before I took the day off work, drove an hour and half....and spent over 3 hours critiquing ....kinda got a dance,...the dealer isn't taking any "blame".

Does anyone know if the fabric for the bimini is different when you order the camper? My 2011 Bennington had a much more sturdy, tight fitting fabric .. and it's an "S" series vs this "R" series. There's no comparison in the two fabrics.

I hope I've not offended anyone with these complaints...it's just been an unpleasant experience so far. And you're right, Bennington will make right. I just think pontoon boats in this price range should at least show up....darn near perfect and ready to go!

Gee Greg, that's a pretty vague post you put up, tell us what's going on with your boat!

I think it's a bit unfair to just complain without giving us any idea of what problems you are having.
I posted details. I didn't think anyone would want specifics...sorry.

What counts is that BM will make it right. If its dealer error, they'll still make it right. If the dealer wants to continue with BM, they will accept a trip to the woodshed.

While we know BM will correct the issues, do please post up again after it'sbeen made right. There's no sense scaring away others with conjecture.

Until your satisfied post.....

Randy

Sorry to hear this, but I'm sure Bennington will step up toi the plate. At least these are issues that can be fixed somewhat easily.

Once they are fixed, you will hopefully forget about the bad and enjoy the good !!!

Smitty

I'll just be quiet. Hehe just kidding! That really sucks that the dealer didn't catch it and you wasted your day, it does also really suck that Bennington didn't catch it. Hopefully your dealer gets on the phone asap and gets you an update on the process to make it right. I wouldn't hesitate for you to also be in contact with Bennington right away, as in call them not just post on here. As said before, Bennington will make it right, that's not what you want to think about when your excited about a new boat, only to start on the wrong foot, but take comfort knowing it will be worked out.

I'm sure it will be all fixed...but maybe their QC department needs an overhaul...making it right after the fact is no excuse for not making it right the first time...

Davey, yeah, it sounds like a couple of things got missed. Sorry to hear that, not a good way to start out with your new toy.

To be candid, the seat issue would be a factory error, but pretty easily fixed, the dealer is responsible for installing the bimini, camper enclosure and rigging the engine, so they do need to step up and get those sorted out. Although it sounds like they shipped them the wrong front bimini frame.

As others have said, Bennington is top notch company and does their best to keep their customers happy, so i have no doubt all problems will be corrected, and in the end you will be a happy Bennington owner.

Nobody likes to be the one who's boat wasn't quite right, but for the few who have been, Bennington has always followed up and made things right. So take some comfort in the fact that you have purchased you boat from the best manufacturer out there, and all will be resolved.

Be sure to get us some pictures once you have taken delivery, and use all resources here on the club website for any questions you have in the future!

Welcome aboard!

Sorry to hear this and hopefully you can get it worked out with Bennington and your dealer. I'm sure they'll come through.

I was curious about the diamond upholstery and found another boat locally that shows how the bow is "normally" done. Not saying it makes sense, but it shows another just like what you described so it was apparently intentional (not the lumps though!).

This is the boat itself

http://www.mainchann...port-Tower.aspx

Thanks TomS...that's exactly how it looks. I hope this isn't the correct mfg appearance...it's just plain wrong. The dealer acted as surprised as I did, they didn't think it was correct either. Guess we'll see, Thanks for taking the time to show the picture.

Back