2014 2275 GS Build

jasonbraswell

Reaction score
Long story short, I had a Cypress Cay Cabana 220 on order with a 200 Verado and T3 package

Cypress Cay cannot produce the faux mahogany flooring they showed at boat shows, youtube, etc...They have been pretty much no apologetic about it and only asked us to change our order.

We are looking for an all-in-one boat. Ski, tube, cruise, fish, take day trips up the TN river, beach and play, etc...

So I started talking to the local Benny dealer and we negotiated a new 2275 GS this Friday.

I was looking at a 22 SSX, but I was upgrading everything to pretty much match a G series anyway.

Plus, I noticed the S series is 24" centers and the G series is on 16" centers. I think that is a huge difference long-term build quality.

Dealer talked me into staying with the Merc 150 four stroke and avoiding power steer assist.

He also included a 5yr warranty on the Merc and two yrs of marina slip (w/hoist)

I was only able to look at SSX at the dealer and the live well was shallow and cheap looking.

Does anyone know if the G live well is different and capacity?

Here is the boat build list.

Comments/feedback from those experienced are more than welcome.

(I'll list some items with questions next to them, since neither the dealer or I was sure what they are exactly)

Panel- Smokey Granite

Canvas- Taupe

Java Soft Touch Vinyl- no pillow top

R Series Captains Chair

Maple Matte Accent

Full Aqua Teak Flooring- Black Accent (dealer says this cover bow gate to aft gate?)

Engine- Merc 150

SPS 200

Dual Switch Battery (what is the battery distribution panel option; do I need it?)

In-floor storage

Lifting Strakes- Sealed

Satellite Radio

Sony blue Tooth

Rod Locker (wanted raised helm; but parking in slip and needs some extra security)

Std Bimini with Led's

Mooring cover quick clip (anyone know what is this?)

Mooring cover storage bag

Sea Star Hydraulic

LED console panel

LED cup holder (how many cup holders?)

LED underwater (is this worth it? very bright?)

LED dock lights (the plastic housings looked china cheap)

Heavy Duty rub rail

Sharkhide (heard nothing but good things; thinking about adding another coat when I take delivery)

52" ski pylon

Washdown

Salt water anodes

Water/fuel separator

Wet Sounds- Amp/Sub

West Sounds Speaker Upgrade

GPS/Fishfinder- Echo Map

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a sweet setup !! Don't worry about the 16 vs 24 o/c spacing. If it wouldn't hold up, Bennington wouldn't do it. I'd take an S any day, and I have an R now.

I'd get raised helm ... lots of storage underneath, plus they just look good.

Sharkhide from factory is probably good enough, I wouldn't worry about recoat.

There's my 2 cents !!

Here is the " Quick clip "

Distribution panel is required for certain options  ( I ordered it ) 

You might want to consider the SPS 200 part of the extra cost goes for the " Sea Star Hydraulic Steering "

.Also ,if you look at the build site it recommends the Power Assist for 150 and up.

Might not sound like much but the " Water flue separator "

The lifting strakes .Are you referring to the optional or the ones included with the SPS package ? I did not know either if I needed them . With the optional strakes you will turn flat and will not bank it turns ( Thanks Carl ) So that would depend on your usage .
I see you are upgrading the stereo ,but not the speakers .

If you want you can also upgrade the Mercury warranty to a 7 year Gold or Platinum warranty .( contact your dealer ) 

http://www.mercurymarine.com/media/mercury/pdfs/service-and-support/Compare-Gold-and-Platinum.pdf

Here is the build site link.for the 2275 GS

http://www.benningtonmarine.com/Boat-Builder.php?id=680

Get what you want now .

As many others here have said that are  wiser than I 

Buy your last boat First .

Or at the very least take delivery of your first before ordering again ..... LOL !!!!!

Or at the very least take delivery of your first before ordering again ..... LOL !!!!!
That was last year Dave  .  This time the only change was the center tube option .Seat doesn't count ,it wasn't available in December . :D

Looks like a sweet setup !! Don't worry about the 16 vs 24 o/c spacing. If it wouldn't hold up, Bennington wouldn't do it. I'd take an S any day, and I have an R now.

I'd get raised helm ... lots of storage underneath, plus they just look good.

Sharkhide from factory is probably good enough, I wouldn't worry about recoat.

There's my 2 cents !!

I really like the raised helm, but can't get that and the rod locker....

Are you saying there is some extra storage in the helm?

Here is the " Quick clip "

My dealer talked me out of the "quick clip " His customers that had ordered them were not happy .

Maybe others have some thoughts ?

My mistake on the speakers ,Kickers are standard on the G .

SPS 200 is rated for 200 HP, if you think you ever might want to up your HP 

Water fuel separator help with separating the water from the fuel  .

Since you have the optional strakes ,it will turn flat ,no banking .

SPS 150 ,you will already maxed out on HP 

Here is the spec sheet .

Also on the SPS 200 the gauge on the tube itself is thicker .

SPS Performance Package (25") 13/12 People 3,064 lbs 150/200 HP 0.080 / 0.100
Here is the spec sheet .

http://www.benningtonmarine.com/Pontoon-Boat.php?id=680

Not enough storage for rods in the helm, I put mine in holders on rear when cruising, but "I" can fit inside the helm, yes a full size adult.

My dealer talked me out of the "quick clip " His customers that had ordered them were not happy .

Maybe others have some thoughts ?

My mistake on the speakers ,Kickers are standard on the G .

SPS 200 is rated for 200 HP, if you think you ever might want to up your HP 

Water fuel separator help with separating the water from the fuel  .

Since you have the optional strakes ,it will turn flat ,no banking .

SPS 150 ,you will already maxed out on HP 

Here is the spec sheet .

Also on the SPS 200 the gauge on the tube itself is thicker .

SPS Performance Package (25")

13/12 People

3,064 lbs

150/200 HP

0.080 / 0.100

Here is the spec sheet .

http://www.benningtonmarine.com/Pontoon-Boat.php?id=680
Ok, few more questions...How would water mix with fuel?

And are you saying the straked turns are good or bad?

Strakes on the outside of the outer tubes won't let the boat bank, so it turns flat.

Strakes on the outside of the outer tubes won't let the boat bank, so it turns flat.
From your question ."We are looking for an all-in-one boat. Ski, tube, cruise, fish, take day trips up the TN river, beach and play, etc."

If you are going to Tube & Ski . I would not get them .

That is my opinion . As Carl has stated you will not bank in the turns .

They do offer an upgraded "livewell /fishing station  " Click the camera for pic

(NEW) Angler Fish Station New 43 Gallon live well

$511

If you want the boat to do EVERYTHING, buy a big motor and ESP. Then you won't have anything to complain about after your purchase as far as performance is concerned.

Ok, few more questions...

How would water mix with fuel?
1. Bad fuel from the get go2. Typically moisture is pulled from the air, so being on water ..... Lots of moisture hanging in the air.

It could be pulled in via fuel tank vent during expansion contraction. Ethanol is alcohol, and it is a water sponge.

The problem with boats vs cars is cars get driven typically every day, boats, every weekend, maybe ......

Just make sure to use MARINE Stabil every time you add gas, and you should be fine. It is good for a year, BUT if phase separation has already occurred, you must drain tank. It will not remix.

Also your fuel/water separator will take care of the majority, and should be changed at least yearly. Keep a spare on board. A no start situation can a lot of times be the filter is done.

I may have missed it, but I didn't even see hydraulic steering listed. I know many have said that they are just fine with not having power steering,  as for me, I would NEVER be without it again. Especially since you are talking about water sports and fast turning, power assist makes it all so much more enjoyable!  Raised helm is great, butbi have an R and it is a different helm all together. That being said I sure am happy I have it or I would have been up the proverbial creek with my stereo stuff. Now if you are more into the fishing and a rod locker is more suited, you could also do the in floor storage and put your rods in a hard case under there, that's where mine go. In my GLi 2075 I just put them under the front lounge. I love my ESP, there is nothing like it. I took a couple out that were considering a Bennington and trading in their 1 year old tri toon with a merc 150, well one turn at 30mph and the amazing fit and finish of it all and they were sold! Oh, and that was with a 200SHO 2275RCW.

My F150 has SeaStar without power steering assist, and it steers very easy--up to about 32 mph.  Above that speed, SeaStar gets a little hard to steer in a tight turn.

But I seldom, if ever, make tight turns from 32 mph to 40 mph.  I would certainly like one finger turning, but not enough to spend $3K on SeaStar + power steering assist. 

My Express Tube with strakes only on the center tube gets the nosecones out of the water easily, and it runs just as good as the new SPS tubes.  My boat handles substantially better than my old 2 toon boat that would have the outside toon dig deep in a tight turn--slowing down substantially in turns.

Thanks Bamaman!

I am glad to hear your comment.

One of my other top priorities with ordering this boat is to have a reliable, maitenance free boat for years to come.

I will update the SPS from 150 to the 200 and gain the extra thickness of the tube gauge.

I just can't see a huge difference from the SPS to ESP.

Although, it's clear ESP is a winner.

Here is the article that is selling me on this Mercury 150 four stroke.

The 3.0L displacement is awesome.

It was getting a two toon up to almost 32mph. Pretty good, IMO.

http://www.boattest.com/engine-review/Mercury/9500038_150-FourStroke

Back