2014 Yamaha F150 question

tyjy

Reaction score
We have a 2014 Yamaha 4 stroke F150XA on our 2014 22 SFX tri-toon:

When our motor is in forward or neutral you can barely hear it or feel it running. When we put it in reverse there's a little bit of a vibration and it's a little bit louder sounding. Is that normal?

Thanks

Sounds right to me. My 2013 F90LA is similar. Barely audible at low rpms and quite rumbly in reverse, especially if you go even a little fast in reverse. 

The props are designed primarily for smooth and efficient forward thrust, so reverse is somewhat awkward with a bit more vibration.

And if you notice your boat will not go straight in reverse.

Thanks for your ideas. Gonna check that out this weekend when we get back on the boat. The noise wasn't really when we were travelling backward but when we just engaged it in reverse, and the prop is turning, but not giving it any gas. We'll pay more attention to exactly what it's doing and report back if it's anything more unusual that I can describe better.

Thanks again : )

Our Honda makes noise in reverse and I think it's the way the gears are cut.

Our yamaha 150 has a very faint hum in forward (makes the helm door buzz a bit) but only at a very very slow idle speed (around 800-900 rpm's) but at a 1000 and over it's smooth as glass and quiet as can be.  I guess I just took it as a slow speed thing and never thought much more of it.   Coming from an old 2 stroke 50HP that rattled like a bug bomb paint can everything else is whisper quiet.  Everyone we take out on the new boat asks if it's still running if we are just putting around in a "no wake" zone or stopped (still idleing though) to put the bimini top down.  

Yep we love our new GSR2250 :D   :D

Back