2015 21SLX - Hydraulic Steering Question

John Eddlemon

Reaction score
I finally got my new (to me) boat out this weekend. Its a 21 SLX Tritoon with the Yamaha 150 and hydraulic steering. The steering was very sluggish and the wheel was difficult to turn at speed as well as idle. I have read some posts regarding the power wire for the pump not being connected. Is there anything else I should check before calling my dealer?

Thanks

Hydraulic does not mean it's power assisted. If you have power assisted steering, you'll have a pump that looks like this.

CWAG is correct..... more than likely you have hydraulic steering but not the power assist. It’s pretty easier to verify and worst case you can add the pump. Search here and I’m sure you’ll find the guys who have completed the process.
Let’s see some pics of your new boat!

Thanks - I am going to take a look and see how I can run the lines. I am going to order the pump and do the install myself. I am 99% sure I have the SeaStar system, but will double check next weekend. Thanks for all of the help.

And.............You must have the Seastar, not Baystar. It will tell you on the helm, behind the steering wheel.

Back