2015 2275 GCW With Yamaha F150 & Four Blade Turbo & SDS Props-Which is Better?

Tooncrazy

Reaction score
Due to idle speed and reverse prop rattle dealer wants to replace my four blade Yamaha Turbo Prop with a Reliance SDS three blade prop.

Will the SDS prop perform as well or better than the Turbo prop, especially top speed which is 36mph now (Turbo)? What should my WOT max RPM be?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Stainless 4 blade on my F150TLR and I have the ESP package.  My WOT with the 4 blade was 5200 RPM at 33.5mph per GPS  Everyone said the RPM was way to low.  I put a stock aluminum 15x15 yamaha 3 blade prop on it now my WOT is 5800 at 37mph  :rolleyes:  I hit that last night by myself 3/4 fuel with semi rough conditions.  I also have a slightly bent shaft... not sure how much that is really hurting my performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything I've heard on here about 4 blade props has made me think they are not the best choice. The reliance SDS should be a fine prop for your setup. WOT RPM should be upwards of 6k. 

Reliance SDS prop is supposed to cure that problem.

I have the reliance SDS prop and don't have any chatter. I do have the normal vibration when at idle. bump the rpm's to 1k and it goes away. I'm happy with it.

I just put on a SDS prop and it cured the vibration, Very happy with it. The Solas SS shook my boat really bad.

Mine came with a 4 blade Turbo 1.  I asked about SDS and was told they are on backorder. He said I may like the Turbo better as out of the hole is quicker and easier cruising.  It's been over a month and I asked about the SDS again and he says they are still on backorder.  I also asked what if I scratch the Turbo prop up a little bit and he said not to worry about it.  Am I getting fed a line... will I ever see the SDS prop?

I have the reliance SDS prop and don't have any chatter. I do have the normal vibration when at idle. bump the rpm's to 1k and it goes away. I'm happy with it.
I do the same with my Mercury Enertia prop. The only time I run at idle speed is when I am pulling in and out of my slip, so I can live with a little vibration.

Putting vibration and chatter aside, which of the two props is the better overall performer?

Back