2015 2275 GCW With Yamaha F150LB - Runs 39+ MPH GPS

Tooncrazy

Reaction score
Switched from a Yamaha four blade Turbo  prop (36 mph) to a Yamaha Reliance SDS 14 1/2" X 15" (dealer courtesy) and got 39+ mph GPS @ 5900 RPM. Full 32 gallon gas tank, 1 person on board and no wind. Fuel flow 15.6 GPH. Bimini deployed. I'm guessing I could get 1 more mph with light fuel load and Bimini stowed. Boat has SPS tri-toon option. And no more Turbo prop rattle now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! That is the same prop I have and I love it.

Sounds right on, my last boat was similar to yours same engine and prop and very light loaded my wife and I on boat bimini in transport position and under half tank of fuel could get 41-42 on a calm glass water day.

Just curious, what are the performance levels with the reliance props under load? 4 or more adults, pullijng tubes etc. Just tested yamaha stainless pontoon performance prop, 14x13p and no load perf. was 34mph. at 6100rpm. loaded(7 adults) 19mph at 5100rpm.

I think that is more of a 115 issue your having rather than prop. My 200 with the reliance prop hauls 8 adults close to 40mph.

That is why we sold our 2013 with the 115, two people I could do 35, add two more and it was a dog.

I agree that it is a motor issue.  With the 150 we get 38 mph with the 22' boat.  2 people 1/2 tank of fuel.  With 9 adults, 2 babies fishing gear full gas tank we were over 30 mph. 

Near identical max speed as my previous tritoon with Yamaha F150 and same Reliance prop, eg 40 mph with light load.. 

Does the ESP package slow the boats down a bit because of extra weight or would a reliance prop really give me an extra 3-4 mph over my aluminum prop?  15x15  36mph 5800 rpm

Does the ESP package slow the boats down a bit because of extra weight or would a reliance prop really give me an extra 3-4 mph over my aluminum prop?  15x15  36mph 5800 rpm
The ESP is quite a bit heavier, though may give more lift at the transom because of larger center toon's added surface area.

I wouldn't expect to get 3-4mph, but your prop slip is currently at 19% theoretically. This assumes 15 pitch, 1.86:1 gear ratio, 5800 rpm, and 36 rpm.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/prop-slip-calculator/

10% slip is a nice target, though pontoons don't follow all of the usual rules. For example, 40mph @6000 rpm would be 13% slip with a 15 pitch prop.

That is great information!  I have been struggling with this since purchasing the boat a few months ago.  I am much happier with this prop vrs the 4 blade it had on it.  Im going to try to get a loaner to see if there truly is a difference.  Im more concerned with the performance of the boat when loaded with people and pulling toys than top speed with just me in it. 

Does the ESP package slow the boats down a bit because of extra weight?
This is my theory,,,

With a heavy load the extra floatation of the ESP improves performance.

With light load I think a 25" center tube may be faster due to less "wetted area", less hydrodynamic drag.

I am curious to see others opinions on this, as I could be TOTALLY off base.

I would agree with your theory and it makes sense...  Ive thought about it that way also.  Sacrifice top speed unloaded for more speed and performance when loaded.  The ESP setup is hands down the best overall performance option.  Everyone I've taken for a ride is floored at the performance, especially the turning capabilities. 

If you're looking for speed one should consider going with the twin Elips. You lose some turning radius but gain speed. I'm surprised they have not offered triple Elips on the 10 ft wide.

I was talking to a guy on our lake that just got a 2275gcw, twin elipticals with the new yamaha 150 and he could only get 39 per his gps. I would have thought he'd see a little more than that.

I agree. That seems slow for as much bouyancie as they would have

And he has strakes.

I was talking to a guy on our lake that just got a 2275gcw, twin elipticals with the new yamaha 150 and he could only get 39 per his gps. I would have thought he'd see a little more than that.
I see 41 GPS on my 2375GCW with twin ellipticals, strakes and Yamaha 150. That's full tank of gas, two people and bimini up.

Does it make any difference in top speed with the Bimini up or down?

Even trimmed and planned up properly the 3rd toon is still drag in the water.

I see 41 GPS on my 2375GCW with twin ellipticals, strakes and Yamaha 150. That's full tank of gas, two people and bimini up.
What prop are you using?

This past week I got 38 on our 21slx, 150, reliance 15 x 14.5 prop, strakes, SPS, full tank, bimini up, 2 big guys.

Back