2015 Benny & Yamaha

CinFRG

Reaction score
Hey folks, 2015 benny and 115 Yamaha 4-stroke here. Never an issue with this engine in four years. During a run the boat just shut down, would then crank over for a minute, I would see the tell tale and then shut down again. All electrical is good, new battery, sparks, etc... Now engine just cranks, tried spraying some started fluid, sounds better but won't turn over. Thinking a fuel issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'd agree it sounds like a fuel issue, but I'm fairly new to outboard ownership. In other 4 stroke engines, I've had gasoline go bad in just a few months where the engine refused to run.

Often, the only repair needed was draining the old gas from tank and carburetor, then filling everything with new gas. Preferably using ethanol free if you can. Unfortunately, draining all the old bad gas from an outboard fuel system is a bit trickier than a small engine.

If you do attempt to drain the old gas, don't forget about draining and refilling the small filter and fuel water separator under the cowl.

If you have an external fuel filter, check that for water by dumping contents into a glass container. Water in the filter or stratified fuel will be obvious. You motor may have a small filter/separator under the cover too. Did you get any warning beeps before the problem?

Back