2019 tritoon

lakerstwo

Reaction score
purchased pontoon. I need to purchase a trailer anything special I need to know ???

Congratulations on your new purchase. Welcome to this forum and to the world of Bennington. You made the right decision. We need much more information about your new boat and pictures, pictures, pictures. In answer to your question I would recommend talking to the dealor where you purchased it. With a new boat purchase they will frequently give you a good price on a suitable trailer.

Welcome to the club!! Boats specs a must, pics or ain’t true! There’s quite a few posts on trailers if you search the forum. You also need to figure out what you’re going to use it for, just in and out at the beginning and end of the season or 700 miles round trip on weekends like me. Those factor will determine many of the options/requirements. Local state law will also dictate number of axles that need brakes etc.

I'd also recommend going with a galvanized trailer if you plan on towing on any gravel roads at all.

Trailers are often taken for granted like bags from your grocery store but there's a lot to them.

From low to high quality, cost and desirability it's painted steel, powder coated steel, galvanized steel and aluminum. Aluminum would be best because it's light and doesn't rust BUT I don't know of many aluminum PONTOON trailers. The long spans on pontoon trailers make them a challenge to design and build. Some might argue that powder coating is as good as galvanized. It sure looks better but it's still steel underneath. Yacht Club is one manufacturer doing powder coating and they're one of my favorites.

I would be careful buying a trailer from a boat dealer. Many of them go for the cheapest ones possible and sell them for $500 to $1000 more than you would pay at a dedicated trailer dealer. I'm sure there are some dealers out there who buy good ones then pass them along to their customers with little markup as a service. If you have one of those then you're one of the lucky ones because they're the exception.

Some choices after the finish is decided: brakes, lights, slides, ladders and wheel size. The new things out there today are LED lights and polymer or vinyl covered bunks. I've heard good things about vinyl bunks but they tend to warp a little (on the sides where they're tacked on). It doesn't affect performance but it makes them look a little ugly. Wheel size: The larger the wheel, the better it is on land. The smaller the wheel the better it is to launch and load. I had 12 inch wheels on my last trailer and would stick with those if I could but this boat is heavier so I'm probably going to end up with 13 inch wheels. Some of the really big trailers (like you would need for a 28 foot Q or some other monster boat) might have 16 inch wheels. I would avoid those tiny golf cart wheels unless it's a neighborhood/storage only trailer.

There's other decisions too, many of which will be dictated by the boat you plan on putting on it and how you're going to use it. Axles matter a lot (type and number) and then there's suspension. I'm still learning this stuff myself. In fact as soon as today I'll be going up to a dealer to look at a trailer for my new boat.

I have a double axle galvanized genesis tritoon trailer with surge drum brakes on one axle and 12" wheels. I have literally driven across country with it three times now (MI to FL, FL to MI, and then MI to FL) and aside from replacing a wheel bearing after 5 years it has been flawless.

My Yacht Club trailer is beginning to look it's 10 yr age. I've waxed it numerous times over the years and replaced the bunks and carpet and 13 inch tires. But it's not looking it's best. Even the decals came off. What do you expect? It sits outside in the sun heat cold rain snow etc etc......

Many factors... First questions I'll ask are these:

1. Fresh water or salt?
2. How far do you need to trailer it, and how often?

If you are trailering 100 miles to the coast every weekend, you need a different trailer than a guy who is moving his boat 2 miles to a lake at the beginning of summer, then back to his barn at the end of summer...

20180602_142008.jpg 20180602_140938.jpg

We bought a used 2575RL last fall - pretty big boat with a 260hp Mercruiser and rear ski deck.
I researched trailers for a long time. Go to this website (www.trailersforpontoons.com). He's got great info if you take the time to read through it.

I bought a Midamericas trailer through them with pretty much every option available and haven't regretted it . Had it delivered to me in Houston by UShip.

Here's what I like:
  • 3 axels: our boat is pretty big and heavy. Three axels is probably overkill, but it pulls steady with no sway when big trucks pass (my Chief Mate drives it behind me when I'm pulling our Airstream, and any sway at all would be a deal-killer!)
  • Disc brakes: I can feel them grab when I brake the truck. I have brakes on 2 of 3 axels.
  • Sturdy but flexible: yeah, I've driven over some curbs and rough pavement. The frame handles it all. The more I'm at boat ramp parking areas, the more I look at trailers that should never leave home. Read that website for how these trailers should be built. Its very informative.
  • LED lights
  • Nice paint job
  • Nice compression brake
  • Great front ladder/bumper/front-strap frame
  • Lots of tie-down options
  • Loading Guides are very sturdy (takes the stress out of loading when the ramp is busy)
  • Trailersforpontoons was really great to work with
What I would change (there's not really anything I don't like, but it wasn't cheap!):
  • Galvanized for more launching options in case I want to go to the coastal bays
  • Some sort of spare tire holder other than the U-bolt
  • A better (higher) location for the rear license plate holder (mashed the old one on a steep ramp with washout at the bottom - had to hammer it all flat)
  • Now that I have the front ladder and spare tire in their final positions, I'll add some no-slip on the frame where we step up to the ladder.
Biggest dislike I have so far in trailering are public/state/federal parks facilities with lousy, narrow, steep ramps with no docks or unsafe docks that have no cleats.

Last edited:
Back