2024 Q27x 2

Mpacker

Reaction score
Hello. Looking for owners with a Q or Qx standard beam with twin engines. Looking to purchase this year and wanted reviews on performance and handling. Thanks

I have a Q27 custom with twin 300 joystick Verados currently on order. It is just about complete and should be shipping any day. While I can’t give you any first hand performance reports yet, based off everything I have seen and read, I am expecting 59-60 mph at WOT. Handling should be superb!

Good Luck on your purchase!

Dan

I have a Q27 custom with twin 300 joystick Verados currently on order. It is just about complete and should be shipping any day. While I can’t give you any first hand performance reports yet, based off everything I have seen and read, I am expecting 59-60 mph at WOT. Handling should be superb!

Good Luck on your purchase!

Dan
Thanks Dan. I have also heard similar performance numbers.
Couple of questions. Your reasoning for Merc over Yamaha?
Do you recall the discount from MSRP you were able to receive from dealer before trade?

Thanks

Hi;

The reason I selected the Merc over the Yamaha is I have had both in the past on pontoons and prefer the quietness of the Mercury, especially the Verado. My last boat was a QX Sport with a 400 Verado and it was incredibly quiet and powerful. My pontoon before that was a Q series with a Yamaha 300. While the 300 was a good motor it was definitely louder than the Merc by a longshot. Going with twins I wanted to make sure it would be as quiet as possible. I have had numerous Merc's over the years and all have been trouble free. I don't think you can go wrong with either motor from a performance or reliability standpoint.

As far as discount from MSRP...I think it's more important to have confidence and a relationship with your dealer. I can't tell you how happy I have been with my dealer over the years and have purchased 5 boats from them. They have treated me right on every sale and trade in and have been there to help me out when I needed them for servicing...This is way more important to me than saving a couple grand going elsewhere to another dealer who is unknown to save a few bucks.

I think in this current market you should be receiving somewhere in the 25%-30% off MSRP. Of course this can vary by your geographical location and the boat you are purchasing. The dealers need to make a profit as they have huge overhead for showrooms, employees, insurance cost and other marina related expenses. These expenses vary greatly on location.

FWIW

Dan

We have a much smaller Mercury Verado, 200HP. But compared to comparable (and larger) motors, our Verado experience is similar. Very quiet comparatively, as well as a very high performance motor too. IMHO, all the major manufacturers make solid outboards. I’d get what you can most reliably, and easily, get serviced locally to you. That peace of mind and ease of service is worth a lot in a motor brand if or when you have any service needs.

I strayed from Mercury in 2020 . Went back to Mercury in 22

While our new boat is a wide beam, 2024 QSBWA X2, and not the standard beam it is a twin engine boat. The boat before this one was a 2021 28 QXSBA with a single Yamaha 350. The ride was much smoother than our 2015 25 QCWA I/O. Night and day difference. What I didn't like about the 28QX with the outboard was during water sports I would easily loose any bite on the water, there was more prop cavitation.

Now comparing the 28QX with our 30Q with twins, during water sports yes there is still some prop cavitation felt in turns but not as bad. Acceleration you will feel. And if people aren't sitting when you hit the throttle, they will not be standing when you do. Another big difference we noticed with our new Q being a wide beam is how stable the boat feels in waves.

With the the twins once you learn the dual throttles some maneuvering is quite simple, we also have the Helm Master, and the joystick is the reason the wife wanted this boat, makes things dead simple even with heavier winds. Using stay point and watching the motors is something else to watch. We've actually had people think something was wrong with out boat. And being able to crab walk to the dock without a bow thruster.

The 28QX, the fastest I was able to get that to run was 45 mph. The 30Q has twin 300's and I seem to top out at 49 mph. Not sure what motors you are going with, but if they were the Yahama 300's I would expect your new boat to be able to at least hit the low to mid 50's since you have less weight to push than us. Handling of the 28QX was fine other than stated above. It was much the same as our 2015 standard beam. Our wide beam, my wife can actually reach out and touch the water when making a sharp bank, like our old ski boat back in the day.

Over all I think you will enjoy the twins for the performance and agility.

Things I have found when I was looking at the twins and have experienced since taking delivery of our late September. There are hatches in the stern of the pontoons in front of the motor, ensure they are properly inserted and latched. If your boat is going to be in a slip, have the bilge pumps in those pontoons hardwired to the battery. We trailer our boat, but still use slips from time to time, vacations and long weekend trips, so had those bilges hard wired to the house battery. Depth finder, you will loose depth readings quickly, ours with the wide beam and the elliptical toons we loose it between 9 and 10 mph as the depth finder comes out of the water. The standard beam looks to put the depth finder in about the same location. Same as the 28QX, the push button switches are quite bright and can impact your night vision at night, I use a towel to cover them at night. I'm going to look into a way to see if I can make them dimable this spring. I've also noticed sharp edges with the wave shields by the motors, you will more than likely want to ease those edges with some sanding.

If I was to stay with a standard beam and a single motor I would surely order another I/O because of the water sports, but with the twins option, just the easy of manuvability I would have a hard time deciding.

While our new boat is a wide beam, 2024 QSBWA X2, and not the standard beam it is a twin engine boat. The boat before this one was a 2021 28 QXSBA with a single Yamaha 350. The ride was much smoother than our 2015 25 QCWA I/O. Night and day difference. What I didn't like about the 28QX with the outboard was during water sports I would easily loose any bite on the water, there was more prop cavitation.

Now comparing the 28QX with our 30Q with twins, during water sports yes there is still some prop cavitation felt in turns but not as bad. Acceleration you will feel. And if people aren't sitting when you hit the throttle, they will not be standing when you do. Another big difference we noticed with our new Q being a wide beam is how stable the boat feels in waves.

With the the twins once you learn the dual throttles some maneuvering is quite simple, we also have the Helm Master, and the joystick is the reason the wife wanted this boat, makes things dead simple even with heavier winds. Using stay point and watching the motors is something else to watch. We've actually had people think something was wrong with out boat. And being able to crab walk to the dock without a bow thruster.

The 28QX, the fastest I was able to get that to run was 45 mph. The 30Q has twin 300's and I seem to top out at 49 mph. Not sure what motors you are going with, but if they were the Yahama 300's I would expect your new boat to be able to at least hit the low to mid 50's since you have less weight to push than us. Handling of the 28QX was fine other than stated above. It was much the same as our 2015 standard beam. Our wide beam, my wife can actually reach out and touch the water when making a sharp bank, like our old ski boat back in the day.

Over all I think you will enjoy the twins for the performance and agility.

Things I have found when I was looking at the twins and have experienced since taking delivery of our late September. There are hatches in the stern of the pontoons in front of the motor, ensure they are properly inserted and latched. If your boat is going to be in a slip, have the bilge pumps in those pontoons hardwired to the battery. We trailer our boat, but still use slips from time to time, vacations and long weekend trips, so had those bilges hard wired to the house battery. Depth finder, you will loose depth readings quickly, ours with the wide beam and the elliptical toons we loose it between 9 and 10 mph as the depth finder comes out of the water. The standard beam looks to put the depth finder in about the same location. Same as the 28QX, the push button switches are quite bright and can impact your night vision at night, I use a towel to cover them at night. I'm going to look into a way to see if I can make them dimable this spring. I've also noticed sharp edges with the wave shields by the motors, you will more than likely want to ease those edges with some sanding.

If I was to stay with a standard beam and a single motor I would surely order another I/O because of the water sports, but with the twins option, just the easy of manuvability I would have a hard time deciding.
Thanks you for all your insight. Very helpful. I will take notice of a few of these issues when I look closer at the boat.
How do you like your current boarding ladder compared to your single engine boat? Did you have the telescoping chrome ladder?
Also, does your current boat have auto on the bilge pumps? You mentioned hardwired? Do your outer toons with the hatches fill up with water? I have a 425 now and it’s a sealed center toon with the same access door. Water is always getting into the toon and needs to be pumped out.

Thanks you for all your insight. Very helpful. I will take notice of a few of these issues when I look closer at the boat.
How do you like your current boarding ladder compared to your single engine boat? Did you have the telescoping chrome ladder?
Also, does your current boat have auto on the bilge pumps? You mentioned hardwired? Do your outer toons with the hatches fill up with water? I have a 425 now and it’s a sealed center toon with the same access door. Water is always getting into the toon and needs to be pumped out.
The current boarding ladder is a standard pivot ladder with a curve in it. It doesn't seem to go as deep as the two other boats that had the telescoping ladders. It is easier on the feet though. But it's not a Lillypad ladder. I am considering the Revo ladder for latter down the road, it would also give me more options for the depth finder it looks like.

The 30Q does/did have auto on bilge pumps when the batteries were switched on. The stern part of the outer toons do fill with water easily and thus why the bilge floats in the outer toons are now wired directly to the batteries. I may add some tubing so that the water that is being pumped out doesn't flow over the access doors.

Thanks again for the info.
Regarding the bilge pumps, are you saying the water is discharged to run back over top the hatch door? Mine is pumped outside the tube directly overboard. I guess no big deal as mine is stored on a lift and the auto should keep the level down.
Looking forward to seeing this boat in person next week. Several nuances that I want to understand better. Your information has been helpful.

Thanks again for the info.
Regarding the bilge pumps, are you saying the water is discharged to run back over top the hatch door? Mine is pumped outside the tube directly overboard. I guess no big deal as mine is stored on a lift and the auto should keep the level down.
Looking forward to seeing this boat in person next week. Several nuances that I want to understand better. Your information has been helpful.
Yes there is a plastic 90 degree fitting that come up out of that area just forward of the hatch pointing towards the stern.

@Mpacker Sorry for the delay, here is a pic you can see the plastic 90 where the bilge pumps out in my 30 Q x2. I may add some rubber tubing and direct the water out. Though before going out I always check the hatches.PXL_20240217_205449286.jpg

Thanks for the pic. I was not able to attend a show where a boat similar to the one I’m looking at was on display.
Seems to me the engineers need to rethink this set up. I don’t understand why they would pump the water back across the hatch door that allowed the water to get into the tube initially?? Not a huge thing, but nonetheless not a good setup.
On my current boat the water is pumped outside the the tube.

Back