2150 RL

I had a  2006 2250 GL before my current Benny and I learned how to whip that boat into my slip. The 2275 GL has been really hard for me to park and it is frustrating.  I get a little better every time. All the points above are spot on. It will take some time to figure out how to dock it but you will figure it out.

I feel your pain on the docking. A month ago I went from a 19' bowrider to a 28' pontoon and the first half dozen docking attempts were quite stressful, particularly with a 10' wide slip and a fairly narrow channel through the marina. What I've found works best for me is come in "SLOW"! When I get close to the slip, I am only doing maybe 1 mph when I start my turn. I then put it into neutral and drift towards the slip and only use power briefly to complete my turn. I keep my wife on the front corner (port or starboard depending on wind) with a pole in case I need extra guidance. I then exit the bow and pull it in the rest of the way.

Since taking the super slow approach, only once did I need to back up and try again! I've seem some people in our marina just charge in, but they are in smaller pontoons and sometimes strike the dock. As others have said, practice make perfect, and now with a dozen or so dockings, the stress level has decreased substantially.

The first couple of times, I was convinced that I'd made a huge mistake being talked into such a long craft, but not any more. Hang in there!

+1. We wanted to get a longer (24-25') boat. But, in order to keep it in the covered slip that is so nice and also very convenient, we were length limited. We physically could not turn it into the slip without making contact with either the boat or piling behind us. The marina said 20' max. So, we went with the 21SLX, which they allowed. It is 22' LOA and if it was just 6" longer it would not work. it works great for us from a space standpoint (max capacity is 12 with the SPS, and our family maximum is 10 (of which 4 are kids 10 & under). With the SPS, and a 150 Yamaha on the back, it does sit Bow up which is normal with 3 Toons). But as soon as we are under way it rides very neutral. Turns out to be a little hot rod the way it is configured. 

The whole point being, that where we boat, the added length does make a big difference when it comes to allowing access to some places, while not possible with longer boats. One of the restaurants we frequent is very easy for us to dock at, but I saw a guy with a 2350 "R" model that had absolute fits trying to fit his in. So, length can make a difference! Now, having said all that, if I had bought a longer boat, and my boat fit into the slip, I WOULD NOT TRADE and lose a TON OF $$$. Our 21SLX is also a hand full in a stiff breeze, and depending on the currents, can be a real challenge. The extra foot may actually not be as meaningful as the profile your configuration presents to the wind. Our SLX has a closed fence all the way around, where some of the Gs or Rs have at least partially open fencing which is less of a "sail" then what we have. You may find that just keeping your Bimini Top closed may make a big difference. 

I totally agree with what many others have said here, in that a Pontoon Boat is basically a big sail, whether towing or docking it. It certainly can not be accused of being "aerodynamic". Kind of like tying a barn door to the front of your "V" Hull, and trying to fly it into the wind. The worst time I've ever experienced was trying to maneuver a 48 foot houseboat in windy conditions. I can't tell you how many times we've had to change our plans, because where we wanted to go was just not safe or feasible to do in the weather conditions that prevailed that day.

Last edited by a moderator:
A smaller boat isn't going to ride better in chop.  A 1' shorter boat isn't going to help you dock it any easier.  Instead of taking a big depreciation hit on a brand new boat, why not maybe invest in some professional docking lessons?  At least in my area that is a guy that is a licensed boat captain and will take you out on your boat and help you with whatever you need help with.  

!st question darrigo, Do you like your present boat? Because it sounds like you may have over powered it for your likes. As far as the operating aspects of the boat. It just takes practice and patients learning how to maneuver any boat. And I have found that the pontoon boat is able to be put in a lot of tighter spots that any V bottom that I have owned. With the right maneuvers, your boat can be parallel parked at any dock between two docked boats. I do it all the time at the bars at Ocean City. If not,you'd never be able to stop and eat. So, if you like the layout of the boat. Find someone that can help you with learning how to maneuver your boat.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

!st question darrigo, Do you like your present boat? Because it sounds like you may have over powered it for your likes. As far as the operating aspects of the boat. It just takes practice and patients learning how to maneuver any boat. And I have found that the pontoon boat is able to be put in a lot of tighter spots that any V bottom that I have owned. With the right maneuvers, your boat can be parallel parked at any dock between two docked boats. I do it all the time at the bars at Ocean City. If not,you'd never be able to stop and eat. So, if you like the layout of the boat. Find someone that can help you with learning how to maneuver your boat.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks for your reply (and for everyones replies).  The thing is, I do not like this present boat.  We owned at 20SLX first which is what made me want to trade in our 26' Searay (deckboat) for a pontoon.  Our boating style has simply changed over the years and we are more  "pontoon" kind for folks.  The boat is just kinda bigger than we were expecting and that why I thought the 2150 RL.  It's a foot shorter.  Another big complaint is the intereior - we wanted something more upscale (and I think going from a G to a R would do that). Finally is maneuveribilty.  I just find this boat difficult to maneuver at slow speeds.  We do have the power assist but I was thinking it should behave better - much better.  More responsive and much better at slow speeds.  The wheel grabs when I try and turn real quickly.  I often do a "Crazy Ivan" - quick turns at the last minute to counteract a bad position.  It has worked with my last three boats but not this one.  Maybe I need to work on that.  Funny thing is, I have already 90 hrs on this obat and things don't seem to be getting any better. :-(

Thanks for your reply (and for everyones replies).  The thing is, I do not like this present boat.  We owned at 20SLX first which is what made me want to trade in our 26' Searay (deckboat) for a pontoon.  Our boating style has simply changed over the years and we are more  "pontoon" kind for folks.  The boat is just kinda bigger than we were expecting and that why I thought the 2150 RL.  It's a foot shorter.  Another big complaint is the intereior - we wanted something more upscale (and I think going from a G to a R would do that). Finally is maneuveribilty.  I just find this boat difficult to maneuver at slow speeds.  We do have the power assist but I was thinking it should behave better - much better.  More responsive and much better at slow speeds.  The wheel grabs when I try and turn real quickly.  I often do a "Crazy Ivan" - quick turns at the last minute to counteract a bad position.  It has worked with my last three boats but not this one.  Maybe I need to work on that.  Funny thing is, I have already 90 hrs on this obat and things don't seem to be getting any better. :-(

If your wheel seems to grab during fast turning of the wheel and you have power assist. Sounds like there may be some air in the system. When I dock at the house, I turn my boat 180 degrees in channel that's only 6-8' wider than my boat is long. And it takes several lock to lock turning of the wheel to pull this off.And there's no grabbing or binding of the wheel. I would have the steer system checked out.

If your wheel seems to grab during fast turning of the wheel and you have power assist. Sounds like there may be some air in the system. When I dock at the house, I turn my boat 180 degrees in channel that's only 6-8' wider than my boat is long. And it takes several lock to lock turning of the wheel to pull this off.And there's no grabbing or binding of the wheel. I would have the steer system checked out.

Do you turn the wheel fast or slow and is it at idle?  Do you also notice a voltage drop when you turn the wheel fast?

No different than driving your car. My docking maneuvers are quick spins of  the wheel.And as far as a voltage drop,I'll have to check this weekend. I have an I-command display system that scrolls through the vitals on the boat. Still think you have air in the system because it grabs as you turn. You could email or call Seastar and ask them about the problem if your dealer doesn't help.

We have a 2013 2050 RL that we bought new in August, 2013.  We live year around on a 1,200 acre inland lake outside of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  We have a 90 hp Yamaha with twin pontoons.  We love our boat and have 215 hours on her.  We bought boat at the end of the season off the floor.  If I were do it again, I would order the boat and go for the raised helm and the tri-toons. 

Back