21sl vs 22ss

AndrewWNY

Reaction score
Alright guys. Thanks for the input on my first thread. I am completely sold on the Benningtons after seeing many pontoons back to back. I can't believe the difference in quality. It's not just hype. Especially the full length welds. So...I just got back from the dealer. My options are
1) 22ss with the rear fishing seats and Yamaha SPS/150
2) 21sl with extended aft deck and Yamaha SPS/150.

The 21sl with extended aft deck is 1500$ cheaper. I plan on doing some fishing. Not a ton. I Figure I can set some camping chairs on the aft deck to fish off of when I want. Is there a performance loss or any disadvantage by going with the 21sl instead of the 22 footer in rougher water though ? I will be taking this out, close to shore, on Lake Erie occasionally. And towing it all over The Northeast.
I did notice the fuel tank is 6 gallons less in the 21sl compared to 22ss.
I did not get a chance to see the 22ss. Only the 21sl. So I just want to get the groups opinion to see what other differences you guys might be aware of.

Any opinions or thoughts ? As always, thanks for any insight!

Attachments

• IMG_9775.JPG
    IMG_9775.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9776.JPG
    IMG_9776.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Without pulling up for both specs the on hull length etc, I would assume the extra foot on the 22 would be helpful on the bigger water and the extra fuel is nice to have. We have the extended aft and love the space, fishing off of it wouldn’t be an issue. One of the main differences that you may or may not want would be live wells and fishing specific features as they would be absent on the 21... maybe an option? Now to confuse things more, if you’re going to be towing it all over the smaller boat will be a little lighter and easier to get around on the trailer if you’re not used to towing a lot. Just my 2 cents and muddy water!!

Are you looking at the narrow beams (8’) or the SX series??

Here are my specs. Ignore the fact that the 22ss has power assist and the other doesn't. As this is an option I can put on either.

Attachments

• IMG_9775.JPG
    IMG_9775.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9776.JPG
    IMG_9776.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 14
I notice the max engine on the 22ss is 175/200 vs only 150HP on the 21sl
Granted I'm only doing the 150 no matter what. So a mute point maybe.

Alright so I couldn’t resist and looked up both models, for the 1500 bucks I’d say it would be more about how your going to use the boat. I love having room behind the fence in the rear which the fishing model will have none. But if you do a ton fishing that layout may work for you. If you’re buying a 150 either way this one will be totally your call. I’d ont really fish much so I’d save the money and make sure to buy full power steering.

Personally I wouldn’t buy a boat without it but if search this forum you’ll find all sorts threads based on whether or not to get and a bunch more with guys installing after the fact. It’s easier docking, watersports are more fun, and eliminates any question of anybody handling the boat at any point. It’s just one finger steering. Plus if your going to trailer all the time it’ll be that much easier loading when driving on.

Back