21SLX height on a scissor trailer including the height of the trailer

Dan S

Reaction score
I had my heart set on a bunk trailer but the height of my storage building at the cabin is about a foot too short. Would anyone know what the height of a 21SLX on a scissor trailer might be? Of course I would roll it into the garage in the lowered position and with the Bimini fully lowered off the little legs. I've got 8' off clearance. I've seen people pull their pontoons out of the water on scissor trailers without hooking it on the front. Is that ok or what? Thanks

Not attaching to the trailer is a gamble. It you dont have any steep inclines or sudden starts or stops and dont go faster than 10 mph to create a drag on the boat. No problem.

That's what I thought but some of these people say the boat is so heavy it's not going anywhere. Go figure.

Did you checkout the bunk trailers with the small little chubby tires on them. Would that be low enough for your boat to fit?!?

That's an idea but I don't think I'd gain 8-12" would I?

RAISE THE ROOF WOOT WOOT!!!!

The roof height is fine. I stupidly put 8' doors in because my deck boat fit on a bunk trailer through that opening. Little was I thinking that I might have a taller boat someday. Oh well, I'm sure a scissor trailer will work.

I had my heart set on a bunk trailer but the height of my storage building at the cabin is about a foot too short. Would anyone know what the height of a 21SLX on a scissor trailer might be? Of course I would roll it into the garage in the lowered position and with the Bimini fully lowered off the little legs. I've got 8' off clearance. I've seen people pull their pontoons out of the water on scissor trailers without hooking it on the front. Is that ok or what? Thanks
I haven't seen one you can move around in the lowered position (if you mean the trailer)- pontoons would be scraping on the ground. I use my neighbors scissor trailer to move my boat but store it off the trailer on foam blocks. He stores his pontoon inside his garage that has short doors but he lowers boat onto wheeled dollies in his driveway then pushes it into the garage. i have pulled my pontoon out of the water without hooking front to trailer, but do hook it up before I drive out of the launch lot. The trailer MUST be pinned in the up position for transporting the boat!

Last edited by a moderator:
The roof height is fine. I stupidly put 8' doors in because my deck boat fit on a bunk trailer through that opening. Little was I thinking that I might have a taller boat someday. Oh well, I'm sure a scissor trailer will work.
Have the building re-framed for a 9' door. Should cost +/- $3000, inc. a new door.

My buddy lowers his pretty close to the ground before backing it into his garage and that seems to work fine. If I had a concrete or asphalt driveway, the dollies would work great. I've got gravel.

Dan, we have the 20SLi on a trailer with the 12" 'stubby' tires. Since i was just out there cleaning it up for tomorrow the cover is off.

It measures 7' 10" to the top of the wind screen, so you would be pretty close, but my wind screen comes off easily, so that would gain you a few more inches if yours comes off.

My buddy lowers his pretty close to the ground before backing it into his garage and that seems to work fine. If I had a concrete or asphalt driveway, the dollies would work great. I've got gravel.
He does have asphalt. His is an older trailer - as are my other neighbors trailers. I guess the newer ones may work/crank differently to hold the load in different positions.

Have the building re-framed for a 9' door. Should cost +/- $3000, inc. a new door.
Good thinking Randy! We did that when we bought our high top conversion van back in 2000. We figured if we were going to spend the money on that van..........It was going in the garage! 3 car garage, double door/single door. We had the double door raised and reframed so the van would fit.

Is it ok to use the eye hooks on the front of the pontoons to tie the boat to the front of the scissor trailer? When the boat was delivered to us, on a scissor trailer, it was tied down with a heavy duty ratcheting tow strap to the frame of the trailer in front and wrapped through the pontoon structure. That kept it tight to the trailer support underneath. Comments?

I have used my center toon "eye" to attach my boat to our bunk trailer for 8 yrs. now.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a scissor trailer with my old toon 2275GSi.  I would lower it so the toons were only a couple inches off the ground, lower the bimini to the rails and I was able to get it into a 7' high by 9' wide'.  I would then lower set it on wood blocks and remove the trailer (stored outside).  Worked for 5 years like this.  I can't do this with the new pontoon and need to fine storage.

You should be fine if your doors are at least the dimensions of mine.

I have a 2015 21slx on trailer with the small tires. Haven't measured but I don't think it would clear 8ft. Maybe and I mean maybe! If you lay the Bimini flat it would make it. I'll have to measure when I get a chance

Back