22 SFX SPS w/150 HP: Additional lifting strakes on outer toons?

tyjy

Reaction score
The 22 SFX SPS comes with lifting strakes on both sides of middle toon and "performance foils" on the inside of the outer two toons. Do you think adding lifting strakes to the outside of the outer toons is necessary?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't want them on the outside of the outer tubes as it'll turn flat like our boat does. It won't lean and bank. Don't add them.

I wonder how much it banks with a 150... Andy?

Don't ask me, we water tested with the 200 and I recall minor banking. Nothing like derricks action shots. I'll report once it is in the water.

So with the 150 probably not banking very much, you'd have to decide whether you wanted to go with the extra speed the strakes give you, or keep the banking and better cornering/turning.

I've only had our boat with strakes on the outer toons (not had one without strakes), but watching the water action off the side of the boat while cruising, I'd have to say the boat planes up quicker and rides higher with starkes than it would without them.  So, while you might only gain a few MPH gain at the top end, keep in mind at regular cruising speeds, you are probably gaining better miles per gallon with the strakes as well.  Someone can correct me on that, but that's just my thoughts on it.

Carl is right though, and many have said it, that in a turn, strakes on the outer toon will counter the effect of the banking.  It makes sense. The outer strake on the inside of the turn (so the outer strake on the port side of the boat when turning to port) will push that side of the boat up when you really want that side to dive down into the water in the turn.  But with the smaller motor, the downside probably isn't much since it sounds like it wouldn't bank too much anyway.

Did I just say the 150 is a small motor???  I must be getting PADS...

Last edited by a moderator:
With all the new boats that are coming on board. It does make me feel like my 150 is a smaller motor !!  :lol:

Back