22s

jeff23

Reaction score
Hi guys,new to the forum.

Got a few questions.

I'm looking at buying a 2014 22ssx,tri toon with a 150 Yamaha 4stroke.

What kind of speed with this go?

How much better is a tri toon compared to 2 toons?

And last, what does everybody think of this model?

It will fit my family perfect. Me and my boy like to fish and the wife can relax in the couch/lounger.

Thank you for the comments

I have a 2014 22SLX with SPS and 150 Yamaha with 14 1/2 x 15 Yamaha Reliance SS Prop...I'm getting a WOT speed of 38 MPH @ 5700 RPM.

Tri-toon is going to give you increased buoyancy which will help give you lift for getting on plane as well as more stability in rough water.  With the 150 and above, it will also give you improved speed and better turning.

We love our 22 SLX, the S-Series is Bennington's entry level series, but still provide great build quality and their standard 7 year warranty.  I think there are many happy S-Series owners on this forum. 

Best of luck in your search, you'll definitely be happy with a Bennington.

-Jason

I've got the 24SSLX with a F150, Express Tritoon Pkg. and Reliance 15 pitch prop.  The engine's setup in the second notch, 3/4" above the lowest point on the transom.

The real speed comes from trimming up the motor and getting heavy on the throttle--getting the nosecones out of the water.  I'm seeing exactly 6000 rpm's and 40-41 mph GPS with my 40 hr. boat.  With the underskinning, it's just so smooth and quiet when in larger waves.

The tritoon handles loads and is more seaworthy than a 2 toon boat.  The elliptical two toon Bennies also handle waves and people loads well, and may be 1-2 mph faster if they have lifting strakes.  It is more expensive than my Express Tube, however.  A two toon boat with lifting strakes also performs well in a straight line, but won't handle waves like a tritoon.  A 2 toon boat might be 5-6 mph slower than the same boat with lifting strakes.

If someone has a chance they're going to be doing any water sports, a tritoon is preferable.  The Express Tube is the budget compromise that's effective.  And as it's always said:  get the biggest motor you can afford--preferably 150 hp.

We have a 22-SSX, with the SPS tri-toon package, 150HP Yamaha (max for our boat), SS prop, and we LOVE this boat. It reminds us of the general layout of a classic sport fishing yacht that has a fishing area with chairs in the back, and a luxury lounge area up front. We can get speeds in the low 40 MPH, and it handles similar to our previous bowrider -- but it can do more, and do it all better! There is nothing that we miss with this configuration because of its many flexible advantages. Wish you the best!

I have a 2013 SSX and I love, love, love it. I only wish it had three toons and 150 on it! If I had endless money to spend, I'd still get the 22 SSX floor plan. Sometimes we pull out the back fishing chairs for cargo space on multi-night trips. Sometimes we use the livewell as a sink or a cooler. It's a great boat. 

Hi Jeff,

I just got my 22 SSX in April of this year and I love it...I dealer tested our tritoon with the Yamaha 150 at 42.8 mph with half tank gas and no gear.  We boat the intracoastal waterway near a couple of inlets and the st johns river and the chop from the wind and big boat traffic can get bad at time...all I can say is I am impressed at how the tritoon handles the waves...cuts through them/rides them with little problem...sure makes me happy I didn't go with a Hurricane deckboat because those guys take a beating in the intracoastal sometimes.  The st johns river will whitecap pretty good when a good storm and I am very confident taking the tritoon with a load of people.

The livewell has worked well for us since we fish with live bait often..guys gave us some free live shrimp the other day and just popped the livewell pump on..no prob.  I think getting the extended deck and bow is a must on the 22SSX...for sure the extended deck because it will give you dual gates - one at each seat.  I only wish there was a little more room to walk around where the 2 fishing seats are...a little cramped.  If we don't have a big group sometimes I take the seats out and use that area to store the inflatables if we beaching the boat for the day.

Wife and 2 daughters love the lounger...vinyl gets pretty warm at times and people tend to track sand, so at bcpnick's advice we got a small runner from Home Depot to put in the center..has worked out well.

Be happy to answer any more specific questions or take pictures if you want to see anything specific.

Hi guys,new to the forum.

Got a few questions.

I'm looking at buying a 2014 22ssx,tri toon with a 150 Yamaha 4stroke.

What kind of speed with this go?

How much better is a tri toon compared to 2 toons?

And last, what does everybody think of this model?

It will fit my family perfect. Me and my boy like to fish and the wife can relax in the couch/lounger.

Thank you for the comments

Just found out the dealer that has the boat in stock I wanted has the Express tubes on it and

Can only be rigged with a 115 max.

Should I look for the sps tubes and go with the 150?

Just found out the dealer that has the boat in stock I wanted has the Express tubes on it and

YES !

Absolutely should! Or... you could spend the next years in misery reading the woulda coulda shoulda threads of those like you who went too small.

Double check this. Actually have them eyeball the cap sticker. I'm pretty sure it's maxxed at a 150 with the Express Tube. Something seems wrong here.

Double check this. Actually have them eyeball the cap sticker. I'm pretty sure it's maxxed at a 150 with the Express Tube. Something seems wrong here.
According to the build tool, only ESP or SPS will get you to 150hp max.

But yes, go 150. Before buying ours I read so many threads on people wishing they had gone from the 115 to 150 and the jump between those two having a substantial and noticeable impact on performance.

Don't shortcut now, especially if the SPS and 150 are within your budget.

Go with the SPS and 150............... You will be much happier..............Just saying   :D

YES ... you should get the 150 HP for sure ... overall the 150 HP should provide you with the best bang for your buck. 

Enjoy! 

Me too on 150 hp.  There's quite a difference between those two motors in performance.  My 24SSLX is actually 23', and it's rated for 150 hp.

And if you can get the extended aft deck, get it by all means.  It makes the boat seem so much longer.

Thanks for all the advice.

Decided to order the boat the way I want it with the SPS tubes and the 150 Yamaha.

The dealer is through ing in the extended bow deck for me. Aft deck extension a little to pricey.

Thanks for all the advice.

Decided to order the boat the way I want it with the SPS tubes and the 150 Yamaha.

The dealer is through ing in the extended bow deck for me. Aft deck extension a little to pricey.
I love the extended bow.  Can't imagine not having that room for getting on and off, putting the cover on, setting and weighing the anchor, etc.

I have the extened bow and aft with additonal gate  and sure glad I did.

I got both too and it was prob the best upgrades I did...can't imagine not having them now.

I have the extened bow and aft with additonal gate  and sure glad I did.

Back