22SLX AM radio ignition noise

mwag5535

Reaction score
We just had a 2104 22SLX with a 90HP Yamaha delivered. We have ignition noise on the AM band so bad the radio is unusable. The Sony radio works fine in the FM mode and with the USB port. As the motor RPM increase the AM interference increases.

The depth finder on/off does not make any difference in the AM radio interference.

Our dealer is contacting the factory.

Have any other owners experienced this problem?

Thanks

See where the negative ground wire is connected. The ground should be connected directly to the battery.

I'm sure they'll find the source of the "ignition noise". There are filters that can lessen it or eliminate it altogether.........

Am radio? what's that? :lol:

I can't say i've ever tried mine, but it does remind me of younger days when car radios where AM, and you had to buy an FM converter to get music. And any stray ignition interference or overhead power lines created all sorts of noise. Just kind of the nature of the technology.

You may want to call a local car audio shop and see what type of filters are out there to knock that noise down.

Yup I have the same issue with the AM band of my radio as well and I'm pretty sure the ground wire from the radio is connected directly to the neg terminal  of the battery.

Back