2874 QCW Config (TB Help?)

FarNorth

Reaction score
Hello,

My wife and I are in the final stages of planning out a new boat purchase and just trying to get the configuration the way we want it and I have a few questions.

Just a little bit about us. We have a cabin on an island on a northern Canadian Lake that is 21km (about 13 miles) from the marina so our boat is required just to get there in addition to cruising around for fun. The lake is about 50km (30mi) by 100km (60mi) and the water can get really quite rough even with moderate winds. I have really been looking at pontoons for the last few years for their rough water handling and space. We currently have a 22ft fiberglass bow rider with an I/o engine and my wife really hates the bouncing. We were taken for a ride on my friends 25ft tritoon last year and that pretty much sealed the deal regarding an upgrade. We have a newborn daughter and many years of enjoying the lake ahead.

We are looking at a 2874 qcw for both interior space and stability as well as multiple exits on the boat. We plan to purchase with ESP, a verado 300, HHP, the large fuel tank, dual batteries, in floor storage, raised helm, ski pole, vinyl floors with snap in carpet etc. Lots of boat, I know, but buy once cry once.

I have done quite a bit of reading and searching and am still wondering about the following items:

1) is it possible to have Bennington either factory mount a hydraulic jack plate or reinforce the transom so that one could be mounted? We carry varying loads from people to construction materials and would really like to be able to dial in the engine height.

2) We are planning to order the full camper top more for inclement weather than camping. Is there a max speed you recommend traveling with it up?

3) Does anyone have opinions on the lighting packages? Bimini, side, underwater LEDs. Do people that have them like them or those that don't wish they did?

Any other suggestions or comments?

Thank you!

Lars

I can't help you with answers to your questions, but welcome to the Bennington family. B)

I have done quite a bit of reading and searching and am still wondering about the following items:

1) is it possible to have Bennington either factory mount a hydraulic jack plate or reinforce the transom so that one could be mounted? We carry varying loads from people to construction materials and would really like to be able to dial in the engine height.

2) We are planning to order the full camper top more for inclement weather than camping. Is there a max speed you recommend traveling with it up?

3) Does anyone have opinions on the lighting packages? Bimini, side, underwater LEDs. Do people that have them like them or those that don't wish they did?

Any other suggestions or comments?

Thank you!

Lars
Welcome to the wonderful world of Bennington!! First off, where up north are you from? I was a northern Manitoba resident all my life until 04.

Now for the questions, I have no idea! Haha BUT CcanDo is your man when it comes to jackplates! Pretty sure Bennington won't do anything in this regard at a factory level, but CcanDo can probably tell you what you need to know.

As for the camper enclosure, I think the key to that is the fact that they call it a "camper" enclosure, I don't believe it is really made for any kind of high speed, I'm thinking 10-15mph, MAYBE, but as I said before, I don't really know

As for the lighting, that will depend also how good you are with your C O's. There has been a lot of talk on here about legalities since technically it screws up the idea of navigational lights. That being said, if have them all on there should be NO problem seeing you!! But all depends on how lenient the conservation officer's feel. I know I had a few coolers inboard one time and C O's came and made me dump them in the lake! 4 adults on a pontoon not being rowdy or loud and they were going to give ME a ticket! Didn't say a Damn thing to the 14 teenagers being loud and horseing around on tubes and wakeboards while funneling beer! All on a little 19 foot glastron! Sorry for the rant, as you'll see through time it's a habit of mine! But the lights look great! Hahah

Derrick

Hi Derrick,

Thanks for the info. We boat on Lac La Ronge in SK.

Was considering the lights mostly for floating after dark or even using as a patio at our dock in the evening. Would just have the Nav lights on while underway.

Regards,

Lars

I have a 25 QCW I/O.

1, Camper shell? I have one. Its not a Full camper shell it encloses the back sides and stops just in front of the drivers helm. But it does enclose all the areas I talked about 100% I wish it went all the way around the boat like a traditional enclosed shell. So only 1/2 of the boat is sealed from the elements but it looks like it would work quite well while under way. I haven't had it out yet because the weather has been so nice here in Ca. So I cant fully coment about the speed it would take.

2. Jack plate? Sorry don't have any advice for you there

3. Rough Water? In mot 100% confedent on this answer either,but I do have some advice. I have taken my boat out on big water and I was very careful. I didn't have the ability to trim at a angle that brought the bow high enough that made me feel confident in High water. I was at elevation so my prop combo was off and I didn't have a whole lot of power/bight and that might have added to the problem. But 3 foot would have me worryed. Now mabey at sea level with my set up dialed in it would be a diffrent story. I felt more confident in my 21 foot wake boat. With the ability to put the nose high in the air and lots of weight in the back it gave me more control over what the nose was doing then on my 25 foot pontoon boat. I bring this up because you said you had a smaller run about. I think with the longer pontoon boat you looking at 28 foot. It might be even harder to "Bow Up" for roller's But perhaps with the 300hp O/B your looking at it's No problem. The weight is further back so it might it give you the ability to trim in a way where you can raise the bow enough so its no problem. I think its had to compair a 28 foot pontoon boat with a smaller runabout as far as rough water handeling. In most cases the pontoon boat is going to be alot better but IMO in more extreme cases I would take the run about.

1) Is it possible to have Bennington either factory mount a hydraulic jack plate or reinforce the transom so that one could be mounted? We carry varying loads from people to construction materials and would really like to be able to dial in the engine height.

Hydraulic jack plates are seldom used on pontoon boats, as they're used most often to get the engine high for shallow water use or if a boat has a prop ventilation problem. Try your boat without one, and add it if the boat/motor combo doesn't work for some reason. Jack plates add substantial stress to a transom, and it's doubtful Bennington condones using one. Your big engine already produces enough transom stress.

Someone already answered this--very slow speeds.

3) Does anyone have opinions on the lighting packages? Bimini, side, underwater LEDs. Do people that have them like them or those that don't wish they did? If hauling construction materials, consider deleting the carpet and adding vinyl flooring. Otherwise, a Q hull of this magnitude deserves to be equipped with every option available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I can agree the snap in carpet is a great option. Not only for the ability to remove and clean the carpet but the ability to get new carpet and just snap it in.

As far as the lighting. Under water YES, Side lighting Yes, Cup Holder Yes,(all great lighting for while your NOT underway) Bimini lighting Yes, these lights work great for when your getting in and out of the boat at night they light up the interior real good.

Thank you all for your comments. Boat is now officially ordered. We won't actually pick up until April or May depending on weather but are really excited.

Lars

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your comments. Boat is now officially ordered. We won't actually pick up until April or May depending on weather but are really excited.

Lars
Awesome! What'd we get? Hehe

Derrick

Awesome! What'd we get? Hehe

Derrick
2874 QCW (2013) Smokey Granite, Sandstone Furniture, Champagne Top

300 HP Mercury Verado (smart craft gauges, seastar power assisted steering)

ESP

HHP (includes rough water package)

Center Tube Fuel Tank 50.1 Gal

In floor storage.

Dual Battery (port)

Water Fuel Seperator

Full Vinyl Floors

Snap in Carpet

Elevated Helm

Full Camper Enclosure (incl double bimini)

playpen quck clip and bag

Bluetooth upgrade for stereo

Led Bimini lights

Side pontoon lights

Shark hide

Porta potti

Ski pylon

Can't Wait!

Lars & Jacelyn

Congrats on the new toon! Sounds like a beauty!!

2874 QCW (2013) Smokey Granite, Sandstone Furniture, Champagne Top

300 HP Mercury Verado (smart craft gauges, seastar power assisted steering)

ESP

HHP (includes rough water package)

Center Tube Fuel Tank 50.1 Gal

In floor storage.

Dual Battery (port)

Water Fuel Seperator

Full Vinyl Floors

Snap in Carpet

Elevated Helm

Full Camper Enclosure (incl double bimini)

playpen quck clip and bag

Bluetooth upgrade for stereo

Led Bimini lights

Side pontoon lights

Shark hide

Porta potti

Ski pylon

Can't Wait!

Lars & Jacelyn
Ok, what DIDN'T you get ??? :lol:

Ok, what DIDN'T you get ??? :lol:
Haha, I was going to say " soooooo everything then?" but I like yours better. Haha, going to be one heck of a boat!!

It does have the camper enclosure and a Porta potti, so I guess I COULD just sell my house, since that's the only way I could afford it! Haha get a little heater, who am I kidding, I'm in Canada, get a BIG heater!!

Haha, I was going to say " soooooo everything then?" but I like yours better. Haha, going to be one heck of a boat!!

It does have the camper enclosure and a Porta potti, so I guess I COULD just sell my house, since that's the only way I could afford it! Haha get a little heater, who am I kidding, I'm in Canada, get a BIG heater!!
The scary thing is we still passed on 10k of options (25k if you add the fancy paint). :)

And yup, will have to break out the little ice fishing heater for the cold spring/fall trips.

Lars

Hey Derrick,

Down here we have a boating "season", what do you call yours, a boating "month"? Lol !!!

Smitty

Hey Derrick,

Down here we have a boating "season", what do you call yours, a boating "month"? Lol !!!

Smitty
Hey hey hey now, not fair! It's a solid 2 months! Of course if you don't mind some cooler temps you could call it 4!

Haha

Derrick

Beautiful Boat, you are going to love the side lights, other boats pull up during our sunset cruises and ask how did we do that and where can they get it

Back