30Amp Fuse Blowing in Johnson 140.. Please Help

scottyp

Reaction score
Hello all,
Thank you for having a place like this. I just bought a 2003 Bennington 2275 FS with a 2003 Johnson 140. The Boat is in great shape. Its a tritoon. that just on the surface just needs a little TLC and elbow grease. The problem is the motor. When I turn the key from off to run it blows the 30amp fuse on the motor but not the 60. with the fuse replaced accessories still work as does the engine tilt. I have gone through all of the connections and when the key is turned on I only have 50ohms of resistance between the positive battery connection on the started and the bolts of the motor acting as negative. Is this the normal resistance when the key is in the on position? It seems low. Any advice at all would be great thank you all.

Welcome Scotty! Unfortunately, your issue is well beyond my knowledge but we’ve got a bunch of smart folks on this site that can probably help you out.

Thank you. I have continued to troubleshoot removing components 1 by 1 including the spark, fuel injection, starter (we removed the positive from the post and used a nut and bolt to temporarily connect it to the wire that went down to the 60amp fuse) and even disconnected the magnito and rectifier. Each time when the ECU is plugged in the fuse blows when it is not the fuse does not blow. Finally we disconnected the cables going to the help both the ignition and gauge plugs. I think the ECU is the culprit because even with the helm unplugged when we put the ECU back in and connected the batter the 30 amp still blew. If anyone can lead us in any other possible direction please let me know. In the mean time I am trying to locate a used but functional ECU.

Thank you. I have continued to troubleshoot removing components 1 by 1 including the spark, fuel injection, starter (we removed the positive from the post and used a nut and bolt to temporarily connect it to the wire that went down to the 60amp fuse) and even disconnected the magnito and rectifier. Each time when the ECU is plugged in the fuse blows when it is not the fuse does not blow. Finally we disconnected the cables going to the help both the ignition and gauge plugs. I think the ECU is the culprit because even with the helm unplugged when we put the ECU back in and connected the batter the 30 amp still blew. If anyone can lead us in any other possible direction please let me know. In the mean time I am trying to locate a used but functional ECU.
You should probably get a hold of Potomacbassin' He knows all about the electrical stuff

Back