40 reasons I love my Benny

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
There's probably more than that actually. But today we had a neat experience that made me appreciate it even more. Today, we went up to one of the nearby reservoirs, our first time at this one. It was my wife and I along with my sister and her husband and their kids. The plan was just to goof off, swim, do a little fishing and drag around the tube. It was the first time with kids on the boat and the first time towing anything. It was tons of fun and the kids absolutely loved it. There were a ton of people there, but it really wasn't bad at all. I definitely want a bigger tube though. That thing was way too small for adults!

We cruised around for a while and anchored up for lunch. We were getting sick of the wake boats coming and circling us like 50 feet away sending massive waves crashing into us. They must find joy in it because they just kept doing it over and over, even though we were so far out of the way. That's what I get for going on Saturday, I guess.

So we cruised over to a big cove that is a no wake zone. Being a beautiful Saturday in June, it was packed, but we cruised back and tossed out an anchor (my new Box anchor that I LOVE!). Me, my brother-in-law and my nieces and nephew all jumped in and started enjoying the water. Then all of the sudden I hear my wife calling for me, telling me to get out of the water because she needs help landing a fish. I thought "okay, okay. It's probably like a decent rainbow or something. Maybe 15-18". But then I looked up at the boat and saw her rod nearly bent in half. I quickly climbed up the ladder and grabbed the net. It turned out Audra had hooked into a monster Tiger Muskie! This species is also known as 'the fish of 10,000 casts' because they are so hard to catch! The tape measure on the live well only goes to 24", but my post-measuring via photoshop clocks this thing in somewhere between 38-42", so I'm calling it 40". And today, that is the 40 reasons why I LOVE THIS BOAT! My wife could not be happier. It was a tricky catch though. We got it on board, but it's mouth was almost big enough to eat my hand and it had TONS of huge teeth! Not just in the usual places either. It had teeth on the roof of it's mouth and in it's gills. I found that out the hard way.

Anyway, I wanted to get it back in the water quickly so it could fight another day. I had to help Audra hold it at first, but then we still got a shot of it with just her. It was an awesome experience and the fish swam off looking healthy as ever. Audra was very pleased.

A shot as Audra was bringing him in. Look at those teeth!

pineview-7.jpg

pineview-8.jpg

pineview-9.jpg

And of course, the fun of seeing the sheer look of joy on my nieces and nephews faces. Too fun!

pineview-10.jpg

pineview-1.jpg

pineview-3.jpg

Love. This. Boat. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap !!! That thing would be enough to make me stay out of the water ..... Remember "Jaws"?

I commend her/you for tossing back to give another a chance at hooking that monster !!

Also that last pic is what it all about "Miles of Smiles" !!!!!!!

Wow! Nice fish!

+1 on the No Wake zone. Can't stand getting rocked around while anchored trying to eat lunch or take a nap.............

Looks like a great day!!

great pics... beautiful mountains in background too.  Looks like a pretty crowded area of the lake.  What kind of bait did she use to catch the monster?

abypfcs - This was at Pineview Reservoir in Utah. Right here to be exact: 41.281139, -111.797306

Tailgate - It was really crowded in that cove, but the rest of the lake wasn't too bad. I think that is kind of the party/hangout spot because it is so isolated from the main channels. She used a Rapala lure that was about 3.5" long. You can see it in the first photo still in the fish's mouth. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Also that last pic is what it all about "Miles of Smiles" !!!!!!!
I finally get that! We don't have kids, but between all of my siblings, I have something like 27 nieces and nephews (Welcome to Utah!). Ever since this trip, I've been thinking about how fun it is to make them have so much fun. Totally new concept to me! Haha! 

Back