40hr issues

Ilovegt100

Reaction score
Woohoo! Crossed 40 motor hrs since June with tons of float time. Minimal issues included getting boarded 3 times by the coast guard, dnr, and local police, losing multiple bumpers by forgetting to untie them at speed, my first ding from an anchor in a strong wind, and clogging the motor intake with seaweed stuff.

I was towing tube in shallow bay when annoying buzzer went off under the helm that only went off after shutting motor. Pulled up motor and found intakes clogged. Warning sound stopped after cleaning intake. Any tips to prevent this? Does anyone flush motor or scrub intakes on regular basis? 

I've seen some people stop and put the boat in reverse with a quick blip of the throttle. I've never done this but I believe the goal is to blow weeds off the front of the lower unit. I always trim way up and have never had an issue in weedy areas.

Putting it in reverse allows the removal of weeds that have been wound around the prop but to my knowledge, has no effect on the intakes. My dealer recommended that when at dock, we keep the engine completely out of the water to avoid having the intakes clogged with stuff. 

Back