6.2L. Thoughts

All things being equal? If I had to choose between a 6.2 stern driver or a big horse outboard for a pontoon..... I'd go with the egg beater!

All things being equal? If I had to choose between a 6.2 stern driver or a big horse outboard for a pontoon..... I'd go with the egg beater!

+1. I've always had stern drives but I think I'm now in love with the outboard. Much quieter across the board and I think it weighs less to boot. 

Reactions: ssc
+1. I've always had stern drives but I think I'm now in love with the outboard. Much quieter across the board and I think it weighs less to boot. 

+2 and the outboards do not require winterizing.

Jack

I've had a number of inboard outboard boats.  They're good for the first few years, but when they need bellows and other maintenance items they're expensive to fix and a general pain to deal with.  And I could actually get to my motors easily.  Pontoon inboard outboard motors are extremely hard to get to.

I switched to one of the first Yamaha outboards made (1985), and spent a total of $241 on my motor--in 28 years' use.  

Tritoons are just better now with an outboard for lower cost and less maintenance.  

RCook, didn't you already buy the boat with the 6.2?

Yes, I've had it for about 4 weeks now just didn't know anything about this motor was looking for opinions thoughts good or bad. 

Thanks

Um... if it were me I'd buy the 6.2L I think it's an awesome motor!

So, is the 6.2 a Ford-based engine or a GM- based engine? I've heard differing stories. Maybe the marinized motors for direct drive ski boats are Fords and the Mercruiser (or is it Volvo Penta?) stern drive versions are GM. I'm not fully sure.

I do know that both truck camps love their 6.2's, so I think you are golden.

Do you have the aft deck that raises up to access the engine room? I love that.

High performance stern drive pontoon boats vs. high performance outboard pontoon boats are decidedly different. Each as its advantages and disadvantages. The only 3 stern drive disadvantages I see are access to the engine for maintenance, the need for full winterizing and the extra weight of the stern driver.

I drove a 6.2-powered Q boat at the club event a few years back and it was rock solid.

I know I read in PDB magazine that the new Mercs are not redone Chevys but made by Merc from the ground up.

Always been a Mercruiser fan! The only engine we've ever had. Both of the boats we have owned have had 4.3L engines in it. Only difference is our bowrider had a 4 barrel carburetor and our current Benny is fuel injected and going on its 8th season. Very dependable! 220 HP is sufficient for what we do. Love it!

We had a 4.3 VP in our bowrider and it was a great engine for the ten years we owned it. It ran terrific and never had a problem with it. I'm hoping for something similar with our Merc outboard!

Most Merc. and VP are/were based on GM designs, and actual GM engines.  Merc has their own 4.5L castings but i believe the rest are still GM castings.  It would be odd that they would have a line up that mirrors GM's in sizes. 4.3,5.7,6.2,8.1 etc.  I really like my OB on the toon,  I think I/O's fare better in glass.  However, I'm a gear head and the sound of a rocking V8 is a sweet sweet sound to me.  In the GM trucks they are the way to go in the gas world.  I would have no regrets, just a whole lot of fun.   

We have the I/O and love the look and the engine rumble coming into the gas dock.  It is more expensive to service.  When you winterize it is done for the season.  It is a real McGuyver episode to get the engine hatch up with 2 dead batteries.  Ask me how I know.! That is the downsize.  Upside. Everybody asks about the boat.  You have a clear sight line for watersports.  It just looks cool.  It sounds cool even without Captain Call exhausts. I have yet to see another I/O pontoon on Lake Cumberland.  It just makes me happy.  I also got a really really good deal on it because the owner did not want to deal with the I/O. 

How did you get the hatch up with the battery's dead?  I was afraid of that so I purchased a jump pack the size of a phone and wired up a cig outlet in compartment behind seat to have power

There is a ripcord that pulls the pin at the top of the actuator.  When the batteries died, I did not remember where the handle for the cord was and I could not find it.  Raise your hatch.  You will see the pin at the actuator and then follow the cable.  I don't think one person could raise the hatch.  I disconnected the wiring at the rocker switch and had some paper clips that I placed in the connector back to the actuator and played with the polarity from a jump box till I got it to raise the hatch.  It was a great feeling when the hatch started to move. 

I would think the 3.5 ecoboost would be awesome in a boat!

Power band from here to eternity!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back