6 gallon gas cans

keithkz

Reaction score
Looking to see who has a favorite 6 gallon gas can. I'm looking for one that has a lower center of gravity (unlike the tall, thin ones I have now) and also must have 2 handles on it (top and back side) for easier pouring when I'm filling up my Bennington from my dock. My Bennington has the 52 gallon tank so I fill it up at the gas station on my trailer before I put it in the water for the year which lasts me a while but eventually I have to fill it up from my dock the rest of the year.

Thanks.

I think I would consider a potable fuel caddy for your application.

I use a couple of 5 gallon Justrite cans, had to make a downsized end for the spout. The Justrite cans are the best fuel cans I ever owned. Expensive but well worth in IMHO.

Link to Justrite Cans

Steve

I looked into fuel caddy last year. I thin it would be more of a hassle. My garage is across the street from my house and I would not only have to bring it across the street to the back side of my house to where the lake / my boat is but then also down that hill to the dock. Not to mention lifting that thing out of the back of my truck with it fully fueled.

After trying to lift 5g cans for years and occasionally spilling into our pristine lake, I started using a $15 Super Siphon. They work great for this purpose. Just get the cans to the boat, insert hose, shake the pump a couple times, and in it goes really fast.

Problem is, you have to have the fuel container higher than what you are trying to sipon into right? So I wouldn't be able to have the gas can on the dock...I'd have to lift in on to my sun deck of my boat in order for the siphon hose to hang below it and then into my fuel opening of the boat.

I personally hate the new style 5 gallon gas 'cans.' Those 'safety' spouts leak, most of the time they don't work, they cause more spillage than the old style ones. If anyone has a secret place to buy the "unsafe" gas cans, let me know.

TOTALLY agree with you. I cannot stand the new self-venting ones....they're junk. They pour far slower.

keithkz, I have the same dilemma in store for me this Summer. I took TomS's and a couple other recs from this forum and purchased the super siphon. I plan to set it on the top of the rear lounger on a towel and let the siphon do the work. I don't have the boat yet but tested the siphon from a pitcher and going to the sink and it was IMPRESSIVE! I plan to buy 2 more 5 gallon cans (total of 4) and refill that way. I'm excited to think it's gonna be the perfect solution. Plus, no more standing there, holding 5 gallons of gas, draining slowly through a crappy safety spout. Done!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I just decided to get that Super Siphon....looks like a decent idea to me. At least this way I won't have to hold the gas can the entire time and worry about dripping gas into our lake. Thanks for the idea.

TOTALLY agree with you. I cannot stand the new self-venting ones....they're junk. They pour far slower.
I agree, that is why I bought a couple Justrite cans. I'm now off to buy a Super Syphon.... good info!

Steve

Unfortunately, this is the only reasonable way around the stupid vented spout cans. I sure wish I still had my original metal jerry cans. At least the SS avoids having to hold the can at an odd angle over the water while the boat is floating.

Unfortunately, this is the only reasonable way around the stupid vented spout cans. I sure wish I still had my original metal jerry cans. At least the SS avoids having to hold the can at an odd angle over the water while the boat is floating.
Luckily, my fill is right on the rear corner where my boarding ladder platform is. The hose off my Jegs jug is long enough to put into filler before I even tilt the jug. There's a cap to plug the tube when done so I don't have to smell gas in the jeep all day. If I use the SS I have to put it in something sealed afterwards or it stinks up my jeep. I still love the SS, but with my Benni, it's just as easy without.

Here's a quick safety reminder, many years ago, a friend of mine ran out of gas, so he got a buddy to pick him up with a jerry can, they got fuel and were headed back to the empty vehicle. It wasn't that far of a ride, highway, but only a few minutes. My buddy just kept the jerry can at his feet. They were in an accident and my friend burned to death, the other guy was okay, well besides witnessing it. Do everyone a favor, transport things properly. They are called Dangerous Goods for a reason. Sorry just the talk of the jeep reminded me.

Here's a quick safety reminder, many years ago, a friend of mine ran out of gas, so he got a buddy to pick him up with a jerry can, they got fuel and were headed back to the empty vehicle. It wasn't that far of a ride, highway, but only a few minutes. My buddy just kept the jerry can at his feet. They were in an accident and my friend burned to death, the other guy was okay, well besides witnessing it. Do everyone a favor, transport things properly. They are called Dangerous Goods for a reason. Sorry just the talk of the jeep reminded me.
Yeah, I hate hauling gas no matter what vehicle, but I do keep it at the tailgate, and I strap it to the rollcage so it can't go anywhere.

I feel much better AFTER the jugs empty ..... Derrick that's a sad, but important reminder .....

Safety first for sure. Sorry to hear about your friend Derrick. Your like Si Robertson of this forum, you always have a story about every topic. And that's a fact Jack!

Safety first for sure. Sorry to hear about your friend Derrick. Your like Si Robertson of this forum, you always have a story about every topic. And that's a fact Jack!
What the heck!! Why do I have to be the crazy uncle!! Sorry, didn't want to bring a dark cloud over the topic, just thought it was a good reminder. We ran a gas station for a while and I couldn't believe how stupid some people were. Then I realized they probably never thought about what COULD happen, so I thought I would pass it on.

Back to the topic, there is also this setup

http://www.flo-n-go.com/products/product_maxflo/

I've never used it, but seems pretty good

Si is not crazy... He is "unique", just like you.

Unique up on people and make them laugh, very admirable traight.

What the heck!! Why do I have to be the crazy uncle!! Sorry, didn't want to bring a dark cloud over the topic, just thought it was a good reminder. We ran a gas station for a while and I couldn't believe how stupid some people were. Then I realized they probably never thought about what COULD happen, so I thought I would pass it on.

Back to the topic, there is also this setup

http://www.flo-n-go.com/products/product_maxflo/

I've never used it, but seems pretty good
I hear ya !!! I had a Gulf & Mobil back in late 80's- seen it all .....

Mason jars (it's just for mower), wax paper milk cartons, KEROSENE cans (I don't have a gas can, I'll make sure to empty, WTF ??), plastic gallon milk jugs, 2 liter soda bottles .......

Unbelievable !!!!

RULE #1: Don't ride with your gas can in the front seat! Always put it in the back seat and put the seat belt around it. Ya'll heard of Vietnam?

Back