6 months and 600 Gallons

G

Geewest

More food for thought on the electric motor assist. To date I have burned 600 gallons of gas, We got the boat in May. 6 months & 600 gallons of Gas later with 225 hrs on the motor in one season and we are not done yet! The electric motor option is makeing more and more sense.

600 gallons @ $4.50 a gallon = $2700

225 Hrs on the Motor and Outdrive = ??

2 Oil and Out drive Services per year= $400

So your up to $3100 a year and that's Not counting the wear and tear and hrs on the Motor and outdrive.

AEE0943E-EB68-43CB-A089-369295F1724C-307-000000176D54ABCA.jpg

If you could pay for a complete Electric motor drive system in 3 years do you think it would be worth it.

from my limited shopping around top of the line a Torquedo drive system, That's electric motor, Remote power steering, Power motor tilt, and a Lithium Ion battery, and charger, with install is going to be in the $7 to $9 grand range.

But look at all the fun you had. B)

I think in this case I'd look at the $7K best scenario and that's 1500 plus gallons gas at today's price. Worst case at 9K that's 2000 gallons. That's 3-4 years of fuel .....

I'd verify charge cycles/cost of the Lithium Batteries. You'd have to verify life cycle and replacement cost vs actual "gas motor" to see if its really worth it.

This make me think of people with an SUV that buy a 5-10K or more car to get better gas mileage. They still have some gas cost, plus maint., Insurance, repairs, etc....

The cost in the end is probably same or more than just dumping some fuel in the tank.

Just my thoughts ......

Last edited by a moderator:
They say the lithium-ion battery last's 10 years. Right now they cost $2500 each. Ok let's say the electric motor option pay's for it self after 3-4 year's. You also Now have a boat with a whole lot less hr's on it after 3 years down the road that's got to be worth somthing come re-sale time. The fact that your not placing wear and tear on your motor and drive train COULD offset cost's down the line. I say could because it not a for sure thing. One thing for sure is that its going to be a whole lot quieter and cleaner as fare as noise and emmisions.

Energy is energy.

The source of the energy for the electric motor will ultimately be a fossil fuel anyway, probably coal, and what's it going to cost you?

The power to charge the battery's would most likely come from hydro electric power. The lake that we live on generates power for the community via hydro power. But I didn't want to get into the " green" debate because that's NOT the reason I was thinking of adding the electric motor. #1 it was about reducing engine hrs #2 burning gas.

And when you bring up the "how long is it going to take to re coop the cost" when you buy $2700 worth of gas and you burn it what do you have? When you buy a $2500 electric motor at the end of the year you still have a electric motor same go for 3 years worth of gas take the $2700 times 3 years , you have spent $8100 just in gas and guess what you have! if you guessed Nothing your right just a bunch of hrs on your motor and outdrive

Now Take that $8100 and spend it on battery and motor ect and at the end of 3 years you still have the equipment and less hrs on your boat . So for the sake of debate to me it its starting to sound like a viable option

It really is too bad about the Lenco system, I looked at it numerous times wondering how I could mount it, it just seems like a really well thought out and manufactured piece. If it had been an option (meaning Bennington had figured out how to mount and still have transducer mount, and battery location) I would have seriously considered it. But being in a small town with limited access to shops and services TRULY able and knowledgeable to complete an installation like this, made it a non option. I wonder if Bennington ever thought of adding an option like this? I know there are the trolling motor options for fishing series boats, but I like the Lenco look of not really being super noticeable and not having to "store" a big trolling motor somewhere when not in use. Heck it could even be mounted underdeck on a couple crossmembers, close to the front so it doesn't have as much drag when underway, modify the wave shield a little to maybe have a slight down deflection in front of the motors mounts, woo hoo sounds like a plan! Hahaha

Derrick

Yes the lenco and the Minn Kota systems were not designed to power your boat across the lake. They are designed to move your boat across the cove or help you dock. But I agree with derick the Lenco Platform is pretty cool . If lenco system could partner with Tourqeedo then you would have the best of both worlds

I can't offer advice on#1 the hours, but #2 I would say throttle down. If you kept the engine at 2000 rpms or less, I bet it would move toon just as fast as any electric, but i bet your GPH would be very low.

I am on a 20hp restricted lake, and with a 22RLi, a weekend of cruising from 2mph to top speed of 12mph (20hp on 2200lb plus toon), and I might burn 4 gallons at most. Typically I will burn 2-3.

So just cruising at "electric motor" speed would probably address a good portion of the fuel consumption. Again, the hours will not change.

Your motor does not base hours on engine rpm does it ?

I know my LS1 bases "engine use" time for service, off of motor rpm usage time. Low rpms = longer service interval.

Back