75 vs. 90hp for a 20'

Dho

Reaction score
I'm really struggling to find any results to help me determine if I should put a 75 or 90 hp engine on a 20ft pontoon. Any advise besides more is always better? :)

I think it depends what you want to do with it. My 20’ SFX has a 70 on it. That motor sips gas, but I don’t get anywhere at more than 15 mph and I’m not able to tow a skier or tuber. It fishes real nice, has room for 4 or 5 people comfortably but it doesn’t get anywhere quick. I have no problem with that, but you may. Good luck.

Welcome! My first two Benningtons were both 24' with Yamaha 90's on them, they both got there job done. Personally I would put the 90 on her. Like JohnL said "depends what you want to do with it" More members will chime in. Sit tight!

I'm really struggling to find any results to help me determine if I should put a 75 or 90 hp engine on a 20ft pontoon. Any advise besides more is always better? :)

I have a 20 with a 90 command thrust on it - very happy - will do 24 to 30 mph depending on # passengers / conditions - usually cruise at 3500 rpm / 14 miles per hour - plenty power to pull tubers or get to shore in a hurry if needed - this is the max HP allowed for this boat - would not be happier with anything less

As others have said, it will depend on what your use will be. If you just want to tool around at a leisurely pace, fish, etc.. either the 75 or 90 will be great for you. While you may have enough power to pull a tuber, you will not be able to provide a thrilling ride for the person on the tube, even with the 90. The 75 will really struggle with a tuber. For the price difference ($600 @ MSRP) between the 75 and 90, go with the 90.

I'd also consider the size of body of water you're on as another factor. If it's a smaller body of water, perhaps max speed and power are less of an issue to get around. If you're going to visit other bodies of water and might sometimes need to speed out of bad weather or cover more distance in shorter time, you might consider the 90. It boils down to knowing your goals and intended use of the boat. For example, our lake is 32 miles long. I like the ability to zip around and cover the whole lake in a day if my guests are so inclined.

A salesperson tried to explain to me that the difference in the 75 versus the 90 is only a couple miles per hour and that it's really just marketing in regards to why people end up buying the 90. It seems pretty clear to me that this is not accurate and that if I want to be able to call a couple people in a tube behind a boat I should definitely be considering the 90.

I’d go for the 90 as well. Resale value in the future would likely cover the added cost now.

I’m really surprised (and impressed with the restraint) that folks responding have stayed within the 75 or 90 options!! Typically they would be trying to convince you to go with a 200 by now.

In all my years of boating I have learned, that you should put the highest horsepower you can on a boat. You will have the extra power when needed but don't have to run the motor as hard therefore getting better fuel economy. Happy boating!

Back