About to purchase

kozzy

Reaction score
Hello all, I am about to purchase a new Bennington Tritoon. i would like input from owners on everything about the boat, including the price and power package.

Here is what I am ordering:
2019 Bennington 23 SSBXP, custom ordered EXACTLY how I want it $54,600 ( Yamaha F200 I4)

Is that a good price? MSRP on the boat is $79k

Next, will the 200 be enough power? Im new to outboards and tri toons. Coming from a sea ray Sundancer 300 with twins, this is all different. We asre looking to use on the St Lawrence river, day sorts and cruising. Im not concerned about WOT, but would like to cruise comfortably at 20-25 MPH, even with 8-10 people on board. All i have talked to and read said that engine is great, will do exactly when I need and then some.
To upgrade to the 250 yamaha would be about 8-10k more with the upgraded transom, toons, and bigger engine with the additional power steering.

SO please, real owners please share with me what you can its most appreciated.

Welcome kozzy!

I think it sounds like you are getting a GREAT deal on a boat that will be well-configured for your needs. I have a 22SSXAPG with a Yamaha F150 and it is plenty of power. We usually only have 2-4 people on board. The 150 is a sweet spot for our needs and efficiency. I think the 200 sounds good for what you want to do. There are those who think that the more power, the better, but I think they must have bigger fuel budgets than most.

Safe and happy boating!

Plenty of motor for what you want. Price seems good too. Pull the trigger.

Welcome to the Benny family! Vikingstaff has something very similar to your order and he loves his set up. I'm a bit bigger (GCW 2574) with a 250 and don't consider it underpowered, even when I've got ten or more aboard. One thing that does trouble me is your comment regarding power steering. Make sure you have it! Oh, and be sure to post some pictures when you take possession.

I have a 24 SSLX with sps and the same Yamaha 200 I4 you are looking at. I love the performance and honestly, don't really see a need for more hp. And add the power assist steering. It is night and day difference.

Sounds like a great boat. Welcome to this forum and to Bennington. I’m pretty sure a 200 has power assist but if not I would certainly add. An extended aft deck is one of the best options I purchased. We love our 150.

thank you for the info, and yes, power assisted steering is included with this package..... I will probably order this week, I have been really hung up on the motor issue...

I have a 24 SSLX with sps and the same Yamaha 200 I4 you are looking at. I love the performance and honestly, don't really see a need for more hp. And add the power assist steering. It is night and day difference.
same set up as Lakeliving; and agree 100%. the thing with the F200 is it is lightweight for the power so the jump up to 250 not only adds cost but a worse weight/power ratio. would still be more powerful but i dont think it will feel 50hp stronger due to weight. I could be wrong but that is my take.

It sounds to me like you have the perfect power to weight ratio for what you want to do on the St. Lawerence. As Steve (Michiman) above stated, I have a 24 SSBXP SPS with a Mercury 200hp - so very similar to what you are about to order. We really do love the set up, and we have tons of excess power.

The 200 hp on a S-series gives some very solid get up and go because of the boat not being as heavy as some of the other more robust Bennington models. You’ll certainly have no problems maintaining cruising speeds in the mid 20’s, even with a full load of people.

Like others have suggested, power steering is so nice to have. Also, I would second the suggestion above for the extended aft deck. The extra rear floor space is very nice for a number of different reasons (water sports, fishing, cleaning the boat, covering the boat, etc...).

kozzy,

The other thing you must have on your boat, especially hosting 7-9 guests, is the center toon storage. Do NOT miss this one. You will thank me later.

all good tips thank you. I know we already have the extended aft deck in the build. I have to double check the power steering now, I know it has the sea star hydraulic steering....ill be heading to the dealer on Thursday to order...

If you think that you may not be happy with a 200 ,get the 250 .You will never buy HP for less than at the time you order .
I found that out the hard way .

Last edited:
We have 2017 24SSRX SPS with 150 h.p. Perfect for our needs. I agree with Shmily extra storage will be needed!

Sounds like a sweet deal. Personally I would go the full horsepower. You will never hear anyone say...I wish I had a smaller engine!
If it has the lifting strakes...200 should be plenty for want you want. Welcome to the Club⚓⚓

We have a 24SSLX with SPS and a 200hp etec. I’m a horse power nut but settled with the wife on this purchase and happy to say we love the boat. I could use more horsepower than my wallet can afford..... but you’ll never buy HP and cheaper than you will now.
Just my two cents! :)

Yeah...I guess if you have the fuel/$$$ to burn, get the 250...

Back