Accessory Questions

tyjy

Reaction score
It's getting close to when we'll get our 22 SFX Tri-toon and I'm nervous about having everything we need when it gets here! Never owned a pontoon so not sure how HIGH it is off the water! Been reading a lot on here and learning a lot too!

Example: We're convinced by reading this forum that the Slide Box Anchor (probably the "small" size) is a great idea and then also read how the 3/8" twisted nylon anchor rope works best (never would have even guessed this)! Prime example how valuable this forum is!

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Extra-Small-Box-Anchor&i=38806

If you could give me advice on a few more items:

Q) How long should a twisted anchor rope be? (love the idea of marking at every 10 ft!)

Q) What about for dock ropes, twisted or braided rope?? What lengths?

Q) Where's a good place to buy rope?

Q) Paddles & fishing net: how long should the handles reach (when extended)?

Q) What dock hook do you use? 

Q) If you bring your own gas, what size cans is easy to manage? We'll have a short walk from vehicle to dock. We've seen gas tanks on dolly like wheels and a squeeze handle but the reviews didn't seem all that great. Then if we get the "Super Siphon" is that all we'll need (besides additive)?(we think you fill it behind the fishing console next to the motor, but not sure? It's definitely not under the floor as I've read about on the forum). http://www.amazon.com/DuraMax-Fluid-Transfer-14-Gallon-Rolling/dp/B000MT94QA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398019450&sr=8-1&keywords=gas+caddy+with+pump

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use an anchor, and will let someone that does address any anchor rope questions.  When picnicing, we just let the boat float wherever the wind takes us.

For dock ropes, I go to WalMart and buy a 50' hollow core rope that looks like ski rope.  I cut it into 4ths.  Then, I'll make loops on each end of the ropes--threading the ends into the hollow core.  That gives me about 10-11' ropes that I can loop through themselves on the eye on my cleats.  They're not too long and not too short.

With loops on each end of my dock ropes, I can loop ropes together if I need a 20' or 30' or 40' rope.  I keep extra ropes in zip lock baggies to keep them from getting tangled.  

A pontoon is too hard to paddle, and I see no use for a paddle.  A remote controlled trolling motor would be a nice addition, but they're very expensive.   I also don't use a fishing net since we don't fish from our pontoon.   I'm capable of maneuvering my boat in close quarters, and no dock hook is really required.

I do carry 5 gallon plastic jerry cans about 50 yards to our boathouse.  We only have 1 gas pump on our lake @ $1.50 per gallon more than gas at our local drive in market.  Manual refueling saves me big money since we seldom have our boat off the lake.

Thanks bamaman! That idea about the rope seems like such a great idea... but I don't know how to do it & I can't help but be afraid that my "loops" would come apart!! :eek:

PS: you sound so laid back and easy going...completely OPPOSITE of me! haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey tyjy,

Read SEMPERFI's pinned thread at the beginning of Dock Talk. There is a great link to tying knots and lots of other stuff that is good too.

Marc

Hey tyjy,

Read SEMPERFI's pinned thread at the beginning of Dock Talk. There is a great link to tying knots and lots of other stuff that is good too.

Marc
Ok! Thanks Marc : )

Back