adding esp package from dealer

floves

Reaction score
I am seriously thinking about adding the ESP package to my boat, has anyone actually done this from a dealer? If so, how did it come out? The 32" center elliptical tube with lifting strakes seems like it would be easy to do, just bolt it on. I'm curious about the performance foils that would have to be welded to the 25" toons; 1. easy or hard to do? 2. expensive to buy performance foils and cost to have someone weld? Why are they called performance foils on the two outside tubes but the middle tube, they are called lifting strakes? What's the difference? Thanks.

I"m not sure which configuration you're starting with but the ESP package's center tube includes the entire integrated transom assembly, so would be quite involved, surely more than a bolt on.

A 3/4 length tube configuration is a bolt on for the dealer since no transom work is required. You'd probably want to under skin it at the same time.

Strakes provide lift in planing and added surface area, while the foils provide stability for banked turning at speed.

Dealership labor rates ($110 per hour average) are substantially more than Bennington's labor costs, and it'll take the dealer much, much longer to do the job. The elliptical tube and the outer toon strakes are also much more expensive coming thru Bennington parts system than Bennington charges through their internal accounting system. (Dealers' parts departments commonly charge 2x what the parts cost them.) What you're talking about is just a very expensive proposition.

The next question is whether your current outboard has the horsepower that an ESP hull needs to provide optimum performance.

Trading your boat for one that's already configured for your needs might give you much better value.

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently have a 2012 2275RCW with a 150hp motor and two 25" tubes, which was just purchased in August. I didn't realize the lake I was on typically has large waves that is componded greatly by large powerboats. The two combine elements create large rollers that requires me to either go slow or constantly move the boat everytime a powerboat gets near me otherwise I have a wave that comes over the bow or stern Very disappointed with setup. I didn't realize the elliptical pontoon was intergrated with transom, I thought it would be like the express tube which would just get bolted on to frame.

I don't want the express tube as I also want to upgrade motor and just want the performance of the esp package for skiing, tubing, and all around fun. I just got a ride on a ESP boat from dealer the other day and the performance was awesome. I had my saleman price out a 2013 boat but basically the hit I would take on the 2012 is huge just to get the ESP package on the same boat. I guess my options are try to sell the boat on my own instead of trading it. The problem is selling it when my dealer has it stored for winter.

TEAM BENNINGTON, I would love to hear your thoughts on adding ESP package from dealer. Can it be done by dealer? Any concerns, warranty issues, etc.?

I currently have a 2012 2275RCW with a 150hp motor and two 25" tubes, which was just purchased in August. I didn't realize the lake I was on typically has large waves that is componded greatly by large powerboats. The two combine elements create large rollers that requires me to either go slow or constantly move the boat everytime a powerboat gets near me otherwise I have a wave that comes over the bow or stern Very disappointed with setup. I didn't realize the elliptical pontoon was intergrated with transom, I thought it would be like the express tube which would just get bolted on to frame.

I don't want the express tube as I also want to upgrade motor and just want the performance of the esp package for skiing, tubing, and all around fun. I just got a ride on a ESP boat from dealer the other day and the performance was awesome. I had my saleman price out a 2013 boat but basically the hit I would take on the 2012 is huge just to get the ESP package on the same boat. I guess my options are try to sell the boat on my own instead of trading it. The problem is selling it when my dealer has it stored for winter.

TEAM BENNINGTON, I would love to hear your thoughts on adding ESP package from dealer. Can it be done by dealer? Any concerns, warranty issues, etc.?
Glad to hear you liked the ESP. It's a very nice package and is what I'm going with too on a 2013 2275RCW Limited.

I'd talk to the dealer and see what he says. My guess is that even if you wanted to pay the upgrade cost, it would have to go back to the factory for the full ESP treatment.

Glad to hear you liked the ESP. It's a very nice package and is what I'm going with too on a 2013 2275RCW Limited.

I'd talk to the dealer and see what he says. My guess is that even if you wanted to pay the upgrade cost, it would have to go back to the factory for the full ESP treatment.
Tom, sounds like you have a nice boat on it's way, what motor did you purchase? My dealer doesn't know if adding ESP can be done. Great idea about sending boat back to Bennington, that would definitely make more sense. TEAM BENNINGTON, is that an option? I would gladly trailer the boat 6 hrs to the factory to get this done?

Tom, sounds like you have a nice boat on it's way, what motor did you purchase? My dealer doesn't know if adding ESP can be done. Great idea about sending boat back to Bennington, that would definitely make more sense. TEAM BENNINGTON, is that an option? I would gladly trailer the boat 6 hrs to the factory to get this done?
Note that TB checks in only occasionally to moderate the board and isn't really a direct customer service function. Your dealer should be calling Bennington to find out and they'll get an answer back pretty quickly. My dealer has been great with all of my obtuse questions B)

Yes, we're ordering the 2275RCW limited version with a Mercury Verado 250 Pro for the spring. We're really looking forward to it!

I've been researching the feasibility of adding the third tube and it seems many people do it. So far I've found Sylvan Marine, Premier, Southbay Pontoons, and Avalon boats where the third tube was added with no problems. Owners are very happy with results, one owner said dealer made a fuss of it at first but then it ending of being an easy job. Some had the integrated transom which is no big deal. Just unbolt the existing transom, drill some holes, and bolt the new toon with transom. One person wrote that he got the third tube with integrated transom, full underskin, and labor for only $3000.

Bennington charges about $6k MSRP upfront on a new boat for the ESP package (2 foils, 2 strakes, 32" center tube/transom, wave shield, sea star hydraulic steering), so I'd be curious to see what they say. If you upgrade beyond the 150hp motor, power assist would be a wise choice too, which is another $2k.

Just an update to let people know that Team Bennington responded to me within a day!! Now that is customer service. They are working on solutions and pricing right now. I'm in manufacturing sales and know that getting back to customers immediately is extremely important before they go elsewhere. People are very busy and have many choices, keeping a good customer satisfied is a lot easier than getting a new customer. Kudos to Bennington!!

My boat is returning to its birth home!!!! I'm getting the ESP package installed at the Bennington Factory. Yes, it's costing a lot more than had I originally bought a boat with the package but at least it's solves my initial problem. It will also make tubing, skiing, and just cruising more exciting. Hopefully, this should keep me happy for a few years. I bought a G-series at the start of last year, then bought a R series this past August, I see a Q in the future. Kudos to Bennington’s commitment to customer service and quality. I’m just waiting on a response on when I can transport boat to factory. The hardest thing will be waiting to use the boat after installation.

So I am curios did you get your ESP hull installed or decide not too? If so how did it go?

My boat is returning to its birth home!!!! I'm getting the ESP package installed at the Bennington Factory. Yes, it's costing a lot more than had I originally bought a boat with the package but at least it's solves my initial problem. It will also make tubing, skiing, and just cruising more exciting. Hopefully, this should keep me happy for a few years. I bought a G-series at the start of last year, then bought a R series this past August, I see a Q in the future. Kudos to Bennington’s commitment to customer service and quality. I’m just waiting on a response on when I can transport boat to factory. The hardest thing will be waiting to use the boat after installation.
You obviously have a bad case of PADS.  Only problem is they've never come up with a medicine to get you over this obsession.

Good luck on your conversion. 

Back