Adding Stabilize to tank every fill up?

lostpacket

Reaction score
So the marina we bought the boat from said we should be adding a Stabilize during fill up to help with the ethanol issue so I picked up a small bottle that treats 240 gallons. I have two questions though.

I never run it past 1/4 tank so I just do my best at guessing how much to put in, if I put in 1/2 tank I try to measure out that much. Is there an issue with putting in too much?

The container it came in is fine for gas cans but doesn't work well directly dumping into the tank. I've tried a funnel but then I have a messy funnel to deal with. Any clever solutions to this? Someone said to use a small 1 gallon gas can and just mix it up with gas in a higher concentration and then just dump some of that in. Not percent but better than nothing. Another guy said he fills up little bottoms that he can just dump into the tank after adding gas. What should I do?

I get the gas from the marina, not a gas station. Not sure if it's different or not

Chances are if you fill up at a marina ,it may not contain ethanol ( should be stated on the pump ) . I have never put ethanol in my boat and never will . But I still treat the gas . I have a Mercury ,so I use the Mercury products . The Mercury bottles are small and marked in oz's so I keep the empty bottles and put in the amount based on how much gas I put in . Small bottle pours in easily right into my tank .I carry my gas 20 gallons at a time

I use stabil on every fill up, can’t really overdose it, too much isn’t an issue except for wasting it. If you buy the 32oz bottle it comes with a dosage gauge and that seems to be just fine to dump in the fill tube without a mess plus it stores well. You can find that style at auto parts store, tractor supply, etc.

So maybe my issues is this container just sucks. The sta-bil container looks better suited for dumping into the tank.

71h8w7tXTvL._SY879_.jpg

Yikes! I'd just add it to a gas can and then pour in.

The opening to my boat filler opening is too small for the bottle neck to go in, and when I’ve tried to just pour from where I can get the bottle, it runs down the side of my boat. Next time, before turning on the gas pump, I’m going to put the gas pump nozzle in the filler, squeeze the trigger, lift the hose to empty the pump hose, pour my treatment into the pump nozzle while the trigger is still squeezed, then turn on the gas pump and fill tank with gas.

Like Jack I've never used ethanol gas in my boat. I use stabil when we put the boat away for the winter. Once a season I put a can of Seafoam in with a full tank to clean the entire fuel system. When we had our bowrider I used to use the plastic container from a bottle of water to add stabil to the fuel. Fits right in the filler neck.

I use Marine Stabil all the time with ethanol fuel. I actually put 2-3 times as much as I need. My fuel looks green ..... ;)
Never had a problem.

I add 1oz of Seafoam for every gallon of fuel every time. I swear the stuff cleaned my carbs when an alleged 3 ultrasonic cleanings did not ( by an authorized Honda dealer). I did a shock treatment with the stuff before putting the boat in this year. It works for me. I always try to buy non ethanol fuel. Not always easy to come by. Although a local gas station recently installed dedicated ethanol free pumps.

I use an old fuel treatment bottle (can’t remember what product) that has a long neck. I saved the bottle some time ago. It has oz. marks on it and I use that to measure and pour the Seafoam. The Seafoam bottles are not user friendly for pouring into a filler neck.

Last year I also used a Star Brite enzyme product. Claimed to be able to turn old gas into usable gas. Can’t really say if it worked or not. But I don’t think it hurt any.

Last edited:
I add 1oz of Seafoam for every gallon of fuel every time. I swear the stuff cleaned my carbs when an alleged 3 ultrasonic cleanings did not ( by an authorized Honda dealer). I did a shock treatment with the stuff before putting the boat in this year. It works for me. I always try to buy non ethanol fuel. Not always easy to come by. Although a local gas station recently installed dedicated ethanol free pumps.

I use an old fuel treatment bottle (can’t remember what product) that has a long neck. I saved the bottle some time ago. It has oz. marks on it and I use that to measure and pour the Seafoam. The Seafoam bottles are not user friendly for pouring into a filler neck.

Last year I also used a Star Brite enzyme product. Claimed to be able to turn old gas into usable gas. Can’t really say if it worked or not. But I don’t think it hurt any.

When I was trailering my boat, at the end of the season I would pour 1 can of seafoam and an equal amount of gasoline into a modified weed whacker tank, disconnect the gas line from the motor, hook up my tank and run that through the motor. Cleaned my carburetors better than anything else. Never had a problem.

Back