Adding weather input to Garmin 53dv

Jeffrey

Reaction score
My Benny has a Garmin 53dv.

I see that the gauges have placeholders for things I could get from a weather sensor.

How do I go about getting the right device and hooking it up? I can find lots of advice for working with NMEA 2000, but it looks like the 53dv is NMEA 0183 and I am having trouble finding information on how to work with that or accessories to support it.

Thanks in advance.

You know, I wasted 30 minutes browsing the Garmin site and then the internet trying to get an answer before coming here. I figured I'd ask in this forum because it's a generally friendly and helpful place and I figured since the Garmin 53dv was standard equipment the year I bought my boat that *someone* here may have some advice.

Kinda surprised by the seemingly jerky response. I guess I'd expect more from a moderator.

No one here has done what you are trying to do. Someone tries to help and you make a smart comment. No one here works for Garmin that I know of so maybe you should call them to get an answer to your question. Bad attitudes won't get you anywhere.

No one?? You sure? You checked with all 8,660 members?

People ask questions about Yamaha, Kicker, etc. here. Why is a question about Garmin redirected to the Garmin site?

No one?? You sure? You checked with all 8,660 members?

People ask questions about Yamaha, Kicker, etc. here. Why is a question about Garmin redirected to the Garmin site?

Wow..... The only jerky responses I’ve seen here is....is well .... yours.

There’s many times on here that questions have been answered with redirects to manufacturers sites or links to manuals. Everyone forgets the first place to look sometimes is ..... the manual.
Maybe you read into things too much ..... you could have just as easily responded “sorry I already researched those, any other ideas?” ;)

Jeff, in my humble opinion, I really don't think it was a negative response by the moderator. Many of us jump to these forums first for advice and tend to skip the logical first step of the manufacturer. Posting the manufacturer links are a helpful first step and they have helped me in the past.

And with all due respect, your initial post didn't mention that you had already checked the manufacturer. These are all good people with the best intentions in mind.

Don't mean to cause any trouble by jumping in - just looking to help keep things friendly on a great forum with good people.

Back