Advice-For a friend - new boater

Brian105

Reaction score
#1 My friend is planning to buy a new pontoon boat-when are the better deals; at the annual boat shows in January or now while dealers are trying to close out 2018 inventory?

#2 He is considering the Yamaha 150 HP 4 stroke or the Merc VTech 150. (Freshwater river application)

Mine was advertised as an after boat show special. As I recall I got it for 24% off MSRP. My Yahama 150 does all that I ask of it. It runs quiet, had no problems and stopped my grandchildren from saying go faster. There are many options available but the top three for me were the SPS, extended rear deck, and power steering.

I bought both of mine in the fall which got me next years model for current year pricing during the off season, and I was able to capitalize on yamaha's extended warranty promotions. I have the Yamaha F200 and love it.

I believe the Yamaha 150 is the best bang for your buck. We love ours. If you've got the dough to move up to a 225 or 250, by all means.
KA4CSM

I bought both of mine in the fall which got me next years model for current year pricing during the off season, and I was able to capitalize on yamaha's extended warranty promotions. I have the Yamaha F200 and love it.

Same here, 2016 price, 2017 model. Also got extra 2 years warranty on motor promotion too. Remove a zero for my motor size though...... :D:D

The Yamaha 150 has been a great engine. I got mine especially because it has had a long run since about 2005 or 2006 when its' last major tweak was done so any "new" bugs have been worked out. It is not as tech as the 200's with fly by wire but has been shown to be bulletproof. It can be had with command link instruments which will display any engine data you want. If you do not need more than 150 I would say it is an excellent choice. I can not comment to the Merc but I would not trade the Yamaha 150 for any engine and have been around boats for a long time and did massive research when I got mine 2 years ago. You will find however that folks are very committed to their engines like the Ford and Chevy debate..

Thanks very much everyone!! Each of you provided valuable help to this newbie and to my friend

The boating community is great!!!

I just purchased a new Bennington with a Yamaha 175. The promo for the extended warranty end Nov 19th.

Back