Air filter for I/O's

keithkz

Reaction score
Just wondered if any of you other fellow I/O owners have experimented with replacing your stock flame arrestor with a K&N air filter?  I've used them for years and years on all of my cars/SUV's and have always thought I got a slight increase in HP and fuel economy.

https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=59-3364

I read something awhile back that a flame arrestor is a USCG requirement on marine engines to prevent explosions/fires in the engine/bilge compartment. 

Will an air filter built specifically for a marine engine do the same thing?!? 

Yes and they even post that on their web site....including that USCG comment.

Approximately how much HP is added if that air filter is used?!?

$103 seems a bit steep eh?!?

Anything K&N is expensive, but you wash and reuse it, so it's a long term investment. That's actually a pretty cheap model. I'm used to car version CAI's running $300-$400. 

I put one on my old boats 4.3, I use them on my trucks also.  I never gained any top end from it on the boat.  I think I'd put 103 towards other things if I had it to do again, but that would probably just be beer so what the hell.  Go get it and a twelve and lets put it on.    

Hmmm...interesting little post.  Not sure if I am more interested in something like this on my boat, or something like this for my 6.2l Escalade.

Daddy likes to get up and go!  B)

Hmmm...interesting little post.  Not sure if I am more interested in something like this on my boat, or something like this for my 6.2l Escalade.

Daddy likes to get up and go!  B)

I'm sure that Caddy has plenty of "Get up"!

I'm sure that Caddy has plenty of "Get up"!

And go... right to the gas station.  If you do the whole intake kit they make a lot more noise,  that's the sound of your engine trying to suck your wallet out of your pocket.

And go... right to the gas station.  If you do the whole intake kit they make a lot more noise,  that's the sound of your engine trying to suck your wallet out of your pocket.

Kinda like our boats. As long as we're not constantly putting the hammer down pulling a skiier out of the water or flying around the lake..........fuel consumption is not bad!

Kinda like our boats. As long as we're not constantly putting the hammer down pulling a skiier out of the water or flying around the lake..........fuel consumption is not bad!

But putting the hammer down is when it gets fun!  :rolleyes:

Back