AM/FM Antenna

mbhenry1955

Reaction score
Has anyone installed an external stereo antenna and if so, how much did it improve your reception?

Thanks

Never installed one myself , but a friend of mine did on his pontoon

This is what he uses and loves 

Tune Trapper Hidden Marine Boat AM FM Stereo Radio Antenna

Price:

$43.95 + $8.75 shipping

In stock.

Ships from and sold by ECS Corp..

31VElLX3HWL.jpg

• Designed to be HIDDEN - Conceal in hull or any compartment in any position.
  • Requires No Ground - No Power - No Amplifier - Just Plug It Into Radio
  • Hand Tuned to the FM Band 87.5-108 MHz for Excellent Reception.
  • Quality MADE in the USA - Water Resistant - Each Antenna Individually Tested
  • GUARANTEED PERFORMANCE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the antenna in the helm unwrapped and stretched out? They are usually bundled under there.

I need to look for solutions as well.  Ever sense I installed the Wet Sounds HT AS-10 powered sub, my radio reception went to sugar honey iced tea.   I've moved the factory antenna around as much as I could and only goes from crummy to worse.  Turn off amp and reception is perfect.  May trying something like this and mount more remotely.

I added an inline FM antenna booster. It hooks to the power acc. line from the radio that cuts it on and off when the radio turns on and off. Hooks in back of radio and the antenna hooks in it. It improved my reception tremendously. I picked it up off eBay for about $5 shipping and all. I used to see these in auto stores and radio shops but have not been able to find one so I ordered it off line and it works great. I still have the under the helm antenna using with it.

I need to look for solutions as well.  Ever sense I installed the Wet Sounds HT AS-10 powered sub, my radio reception went to sugar honey iced tea.   I've moved the factory antenna around as much as I could and only goes from crummy to worse.  Turn off amp and reception is perfect.  May trying something like this and mount more remotely.

I thought it was a ground issue, but looking into it, it seems the class D amp operates at the same frequencies as FM, interfering with your signal. 

I guess the options would be to move the sub, or remote locate the antenna as far from the sub as feasible.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/112848-amplifier-kills-radio-reception/

http://rftech.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1170/~/radio-reception-on-motorcycles-using-class-d-amps---installation-advisory

Yeah, I've look into the grounding issue.  It is pretty simple wiring for sub.  Just pwr, rem and RCA cables.  Pwr/gnd run directly to battery with 4ga wire through 3 terminal distribution blocks under helm (I've got another amp installed as well - reception was problem before 2nd amp).  I've stretched out antenna wire and it helped a little.  I'm curious why others haven't had the problem with a factory installed HT AS-10.  It might be because I have my sub located differently since I have trolling motor batteries installed under helm as well.  It is closer to head unit.  I'm going to move batteries so I can get the sub closer to the outside fence and away from head unit.

My dealer is installing a power boast antenna today for me to try.

Will let you all know.

Back