Amp talk

goldnrod24

Reaction score
I'm interested in adding an amp or two (or an amplified sub) to my boat.

The KMC 10 unit has plugs for front and rear outputs. Is it wise to add Kicker amps to achieve the "plug and play" options? Model number would be very helpful.

Also, the manual shows there is a blue/white "Amplifier turn on" wire. What exactly does that do? Of course there are also wires coming out that are coded for F & R and L & R connections.

I assume that aux amps need their own dedicated power source, too. Is there something under the helm or should this come directly from the battery? Of course, I have the full underskinning.

I think I am in over my head.

Since the new models seem to all be showing up with Kickers from the factory, I'm sure I'm not the only guy wondering how this works.

In the same boat as you Randy, no pun intended!  :p   I would at some point like to upgrade my system as well, but the more I look at it and the more I look around at the upgraded KMC 20, speakers, amp and maybe sub,  the more I think:  ahhhhhh forget it!  The $$ adds up fast!  If you do, take lots of pics!!  I'm interested in how you go about it and how difficult it would be.  Where would you put the sub?

I agree that the KMC20 is pricey. I did not add any amps or subwoofer and I would'nt as feel the sound quality and volume are great. My comparison is my last Bennington. I could not hear that Stereo cruising at 22MPH and the KMC20 I can hear clearly at any speed. I know some like it very loud. I think it is so far superior to what I had before that I would not add anything else to it

Can you guys explain to me what the KMC20 is?  I ordered the upgrade to the KMC10 and I think that was kind of a waste.  That unit is behind my console door and I have to lay on the ground to even use it.  I'm struggling to understand what my upgrade got me.   During my research I found out that the KMC20 unit allows the head unit to get Sirius.   Other than that I didn't understand that it would do anything more.  I also found out that Bennington does not sell the KMC20 as an upgrade.  The Kicker site says that these units are factory sold only and that you cannot buy the KMC20 unit separately from Kicker.   So I join your club in that I would like an upgrade - mostly to get Sirius but there are other ways to do that - so I wonder why I got the KMC10.   It does seem to be a much nicer head unit than the circle one that comes on the dash but hiding it behind a door on the floor has me wondering what the hell I paid for.   I have to say I am happy with the sound of the Kicker unit - the few speakers that I do have sound pretty good but cannot get anywhere loud enough before they distort.  Definately need an amp upgrade but fishing power from the battery and additional work just seems like a lot of work with the sealed bottom of the boat in this area.

I know there is a ton of threads on this site about stereo upgrades but it seems Bennington has changed their stereo providers several times over the past years and there doesn't seem to be a lot of information on the Kicker system included with the boat.  I"m hoping one of the stereo experts will join this thread and provide some basic insight.

I'm interested in adding an amp or two (or an amplified sub) to my boat.

The KMC 10 unit has plugs for front and rear outputs. Is it wise to add Kicker amps to achieve the "plug and play" options? Model number would be very helpful.

Also, the manual shows there is a blue/white "Amplifier turn on" wire. What exactly does that do? Of course there are also wires coming out that are coded for F & R and L & R connections.

I assume that aux amps need their own dedicated power source, too. Is there something under the helm or should this come directly from the battery? Of course, I have the full underskinning.

I think I am in over my head.

Since the new models seem to all be showing up with Kickers from the factory, I'm sure I'm not the only guy wondering how this works.

The amp turn on wire just sends a low voltage to the amp to "tell it" to turn on. It still needs it's own power source, and yes I would definitely do directly from the battery. It's best to keep power and ground separate from the other in boat connections to help eliminate interference / humm / whine. 

Front and rear I'm assuming are just RCA's and it is just for if you have two separate amps, one powering front speakers, one for rear.

As for amp brand, obviously I'm partial to Wet Sounds! I haven't looked into the Kicker head unit, so I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding "plug and play" options. Amps have all their own individual settings.

Back