Anchor use in pontoons

Lilguy

Reaction score
My previous Vhulls had anchor storage compartments in the bow. Not so in my toon. How do most of you deal with anchors. Are there powered winch systems that can run through a dash switch that any one has used?

I have been looking at the EZ Anchor . But I haven't pulled the trigger yet .

Yup, no dedicated bow storage per say. I store mine under my stern lounger so I don’t have to ask someone sitting forward to get up.

Plenty of room for your anchor in one of the front corner seats......

The best holding anchors are not the best anchors to live with. Anchors made with sharp edge plate steel have no place on a boat having soft vinyl flooring and thin gage aluminum siding. For me there are rare occasions that this type of anchor is needed. For those few occasions I keep one in a dock box. The anchor I keep on board is rubber covered and is stowed below a seat. Rubber covered anchors come in different styles and sizes to suit your specific conditions. After pulling anchor (by hand) I reel the loose anchor rope up on a device used to store large extension cords. Hope this helps.

I have a MinnKota Deck Hand 40 with a switch mounted at hull. There’s also a switch on the unit if you’re up on the bow and want to drop/lift it. I use a digger anchor now.

Extreme Max 3006.6623 BoatTector Grip & Go Digger-Style Anchor - 15 lbs. https://a.co/d/19OF7rv

19D81D69-E9AD-442E-8A6B-5F85F30C0176.jpeg

Last edited:
I keep a fluke anchor, chain and rope in one of these and keep bag stored under rear lounger when not in use. can easily slide bag under corner of front lounger to keep out of the way during a day on the lake. I sit bag on front corner of pontoon when at anchor and can quickly retrieve all and keep mess out of boat. Works well for me

Grillinator Ultimate Firewood Log Carrier - Black - Heavy Duty Durable Tote Bag for Wood - Self Standing Design with Padded Handles - 16 Gallon Capacity for Fireplace, Beach & Groceries https://a.co/d/brrTb6M

Reactions: DVW
Depends on where you boat and your anchoring situation. Small, shallow body of water and/or very light wind or current - a small anchor or windlass type setup is easy to accommodate.

Once you start getting into situations involving heavier anchors, lots of rode and chain, storage can be a buggar. In my case the bow seating can just barely squeeze in a 13lb Mantus and 150' rode. A box anchor dimensionally would save some room but I likely couldn't hook up as well on some of the bottoms I'm on as well as the heavy tidal current.

My previous Vhulls had anchor storage compartments in the bow. Not so in my toon. How do most of you deal with anchors. Are there powered winch systems that can run through a dash switch that any one has used?
Great question. I have spent alot of time pondering this, but have not pulled the trigger either. My hang up is getting the heavy gauge power cables to the stern to the battery compartment . I dont want to have to pull all the aluminum underplate and wave tamers off to fish the wires. I thought about running a pVC conduit undernerneath to put the cables in.? Probably the biggest reason I havent done it , is that 95% of the time I pull my anchor up , where I boat, I have to dip the anchor back in the water 6 or 8 times to get all the much and weeds off, so it kind of defeats the purpose. It ends just being an anchor storage system then? I also thought about just making up a heavy gauge aluminum " U " shaped box that would bolt to the underside at the very front and centre that you could just slide the anchor into after you pulled it up. Still store the rope on the front platform or under the front seat but at least my heavy 13lb Danforth isnt sitting on the deck waiting to stub a toe. Any other ideas out there??

I have a MinnKota Deck Hand 40 on the stern deck and a smaller anchor in a 2 1/2 gallon bucket on the bow deck (to keep the boa from spinning).

I keep a small and medium Box Anchor, each with 100' of rode, each in canvas Wood Totes, both stored under a front couch mid section (we have a seat filler, so the corner seats can't be accessed - we use them for the cover and extras).

Attachments

• Box anchor in wood tote.jpg
    Box anchor in wood tote.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 65
What's that cable next to your cleat? Bimini or enclosure tie down?
Those are the Cable Stays, they attach to the front of the Bimini Structure - they allow speeds greater than 30pmh. Since June 2020, I have been zipping up and down the 30 mile lake at 40 plus MPH, the Double Bimini is always up, no issues...so far...LOL.

Here is idea that I came up with for storing the anchor rope in plain sight. It has a relaxed nautical look. It’s convenient location helps when handling the anchor line. A key to the ship shape look is to make the length of each loop perfectly equal. I have a little trick that makes that quick and easy.
1671673916904.jpeg

Those are the Cable Stays, they attach to the front of the Bimini Structure - they allow speeds greater than 30pmh. Since June 2020, I have been zipping up and down the 30 mile lake at 40 plus MPH, the Double Bimini is always up, no issues...so far...LOL.

I assume those were factory install? I have the push-pin mod on mine but am thinking a cable and anchor point like yours would be better in the long run. The wife can also hang her bikini on the cable to dry out while running... if I get enough wine in her!

I assume those were factory install? I have the push-pin mod on mine but am thinking a cable and anchor point like yours would be better in the long run. The wife can also hang her bikini on the cable to dry out while running... if I get enough wine in her!
Yes, they are Factory Installed / Original Option. I am looking to replace the L bracket they installed, and use a D Ring pop-up so the toe banger is not always there.

Great question. I have spent alot of time pondering this, but have not pulled the trigger either. My hang up is getting the heavy gauge power cables to the stern to the battery compartment . I dont want to have to pull all the aluminum underplate and wave tamers off to fish the wires. I thought about running a pVC conduit undernerneath to put the cables in.? Probably the biggest reason I havent done it , is that 95% of the time I pull my anchor up , where I boat, I have to dip the anchor back in the water 6 or 8 times to get all the much and weeds off, so it kind of defeats the purpose. It ends just being an anchor storage system then? I also thought about just making up a heavy gauge aluminum " U " shaped box that would bolt to the underside at the very front and centre that you could just slide the anchor into after you pulled it up. Still store the rope on the front platform or under the front seat but at least my heavy 13lb Danforth isnt sitting on the deck waiting to stub a toe. Any other ideas out there??
Try a Fortress danforth. I’ve got a 28’ GCW and use a 7 lb Fortress, which I store under a rear seat. It can even be quickly disassembled and stored in a bag if so desired.

Back